Former President Donald J. Trump

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Sep 2018, 19:45

Hightea wrote: Although I could see a scenario where he makes it thru the 4 years but is told he can't run for a second term.

Who would tell him that?

Michael Moore has now predicted a two-term presidency for Trump. I wouldn't even mention it, but he's the only person (whom I'm aware of) who correctly called the election for Trump in 2016.

This business with Kavanaugh is weird. I thought his nomination was basically a done deal, but now the process has gone off the rails what with the sex crime accusation and the perjury. If he goes away and the next one's nomination gets stonewalled until after the midterms and the Dems take the senate, perhaps we'll escape the fate of having two generations' worth of a right-tilting SCOTUS - all which seems pretty unlikely.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 17 Sep 2018, 20:06

I know a guy - an annoying "Bernie Bro" type as it happens - who also predicted it. I would chalk it up to world-weary cynicism - that's kind of his MO - but he's a market research leader and knows his demographics, and that was the basis on which he predicted it.

Not sure what he's saying now, but I'd be curious.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 17 Sep 2018, 20:11

Snarfyguy wrote:This business with Kavanaugh is weird. I thought his nomination was basically a done deal, but now the process has gone off the rails what with the sex crime accusation and the perjury

it really gets my goat how the perjury was not enough all by itself - it was like he had a little head cold. If it wasn't for this lady stepping up to the plate with her accusations - they'd be having a vote. I know a lot of people think charges from High School is grasping at straws and they might be right. Still, it's probably NOT going to be fast tracked and that's a good thing. Hopefully key Senators will continue to honk their horns about the hypocritical lack of cooperation in vetting him (compared to Obama's nominees and, indeed, anybody else in recent history who has been nominated for that job).

regardless of how this plays out, t seems a good time to demand a little more sunlight on the process.
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 17 Sep 2018, 20:55

the Intercept has a story up this morning speculating that more opportunities for perjury charges might be in the pipeline. Unnamed sources claim to have contacted members of the commitee with a can of worms on that whole Kozinsky matter. they are charging that BK was aware of the many charges against Alex Kosinski and I'm pretty sure he testified otherwise.
uggy poopy doody.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Sep 2018, 21:26

Sneelock wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:This business with Kavanaugh is weird. I thought his nomination was basically a done deal, but now the process has gone off the rails what with the sex crime accusation and the perjury

it really gets my goat how the perjury was not enough all by itself - it was like he had a little head cold. If it wasn't for this lady stepping up to the plate with her accusations - they'd be having a vote. I know a lot of people think charges from High School is grasping at straws and they might be right. Still, it's probably NOT going to be fast tracked and that's a good thing. Hopefully key Senators will continue to honk their horns about the hypocritical lack of cooperation in vetting him (compared to Obama's nominees and, indeed, anybody else in recent history who has been nominated for that job).

regardless of how this plays out, t seems a good time to demand a little more sunlight on the process.

Twitter is aflame. I think even Republicans legislators are starting to become aware of the #metoo movement with midterms coming up. On my twitter feed, it's all Kavanaugh and Urban Meyer, who just did a big interview on his situation.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Sep 2018, 21:48

I saw that Mueller just set the date for Flynn's sentencing.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 18 Sep 2018, 13:50

Sneelock wrote:the Intercept has a story up this morning speculating that more opportunities for perjury charges might be in the pipeline. Unnamed sources claim to have contacted members of the commitee with a can of worms on that whole Kozinsky matter. they are charging that BK was aware of the many charges against Alex Kosinski and I'm pretty sure he testified otherwise.

You have to wonder if they are considering withdrawing his nomination and replacing him with someone easier to confirm. They seem pretty desperate to lock that seat in before the midterms.

That said, maybe they’d be better off politically to have the seat still open in November. You have to think it would help Republican turn out to essentially have a Supreme Court seat on the ballot.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 18 Sep 2018, 15:13

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
maybe they’d be better off politically to have the seat still open in November. You have to think it would help Republican turn out to essentially have a Supreme Court seat on the ballot.

Shhh.
Question authority.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2018, 15:39

Kav wants "to refute this false allegation, from 36 years ago, and defend [his] integrity.”

It seems to me he has to choose one of these defenses because the two of them mutually undermine each other. Is the allegation old or false? Old AND false doesn't make any sense. If it's false it doesn't matter how old it is.

Am I missing something?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Sep 2018, 16:23

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:You have to wonder if they are considering withdrawing his nomination and replacing him with someone easier to confirm.

There's this guy Merrick Garland who might be available...

I think the Pubs are desperate to get this Kavanaugh guy through so they don't look "weak" before midterms. Lifetime supreme court appointments are about the only thing the base can latch onto.

They'll make a show of "listening," ignore everything the lady has to say, and confirm him anyway.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 18 Sep 2018, 16:50

I don’t think they can get anyone else through by Election Day. Also, they don’t want to cave until they absolutely must.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Sep 2018, 17:47

Stormy Daniels compares Donald Trump’s penis to Toad from Mario Kart

Really just loving where we're at as a society these days.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2018, 23:48

Kav's character witness, Mark Judge, appears to now be declining to testify at the hearing, citing "incidents" (which I thought he previously said didn't occur).

My prediction: Kavanaugh will not be nominated. Shit is just getting too crazy.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 Sep 2018, 03:14

Is Trump trying to use his declassification powers to commit obstruction of justice? (Y/N)

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 19 Sep 2018, 15:13

Count Machuki wrote:Is Trump trying to use his declassification powers to commit obstruction of justice? (Y/N)

Truth/facts = obstruction :roll:

https://consortiumnews.com/2018/09/18/j ... ification/

Justice Dept Likely to Slow-Walk Declassification
September 18, 2018

President Trump has ordered Russia-gate data to be declassified but will likely be stonewalled, raising questions about whether Trump is his own man, writes Ray McGovern.

By Ray McGovern
Special to Consortium News
Don’t hold your breath. While the media is breathlessly describing yesterday’s order by President Donald Trump’s “to provide for the immediate (emphasis added) declassification” of Russia-gate materials as a “showdown,” any likely showdown is months away, if it comes at all.

The word “immediate” can mean different things to different people. Had the President set a deadline, or had he given the declassification task to his own National Security Council, the word “showdown” might be closer to what to expect….
Question authority.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Sep 2018, 17:03

Snarfyguy wrote:Shit is just getting too crazy.

I don't know what to think anymore.

I follow lots of politicians and political writers on Twitter, more liberal than conservative, but i do follow some more established conservative folks.

No one is even trying to listen to each other, including politicians. It's one big echo chamber.

Michael Moore was on MSNBC pimping Fahrenheit 11/9.

Some of the commentators got to the grist. Normal people are sick of self-serving politicians not doing anything for them, on the left and right.

I was reading the Hamilton biography, and apparently Thomas Jefferson wanted a political and governmental revolution or upheaval every 10 years or so (don't quote me on the number).

I don't know if it's coming to that, but you can feel the pressure building. But maybe that's only me because I watch and read stuff on politics. I don't know if the average Joe or Jane really cares as long as his or her job is safe and 401K isn't losing money.

Politicians are telling people to vote, but attack ads are starting to come out in California, and I don't know if the California, or overall electorate, really has the political knowledge or acumen to really evaluate issues and people running for office.

I read yesterday on Twitter that Cruz is ahead of O'Rourke by 9 points and one of the reasons is Cruz is saying O'Rourke is against barbecue.

Crazy.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Sep 2018, 17:42

sloopjohnc wrote:I was reading the Hamilton biography, and apparently Thomas Jefferson wanted a political and governmental revolution or upheaval every 10 years or so (don't quote me on the number).

Yeah, I don't think the corporate interests that the government serves would really be too down with that.

But let's just pause and make fun of Trump for a moment.

<snip>

Trump Calls Hurricane Florence ‘One of the Wettest We’ve Ever Seen From the Standpoint of Water’

President Trump frequently posts short videos online of him attempting to appear presidential — i.e. he is shot with professional lighting, he discusses the kinds of normal subjects presidents customarily address, he is not engaging in obstruction of justice at that very moment, etc. Unfortunately, Trump subverts the effect by declining to use any kind of script for his appearances. Even a polished, articulate speaker would struggle in such circumstances, and Trump is comically inarticulate.

In his latest video, Trump comments on Hurricane Florence. “This is a tough hurricane,” he proclaims, “one of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water.” Whether Florence is also wet from other standpoints is a question the president did not address.

Watching this video is very much like the common experience of making small talk about the weather with a stranger, except rather than ending the conversation after the normal ten seconds or so, the stranger believes his job and stature require him to elaborate with words that are not at his disposal. And so Trump adds that the hurricane “certainly is not good,” and that people have died (“That’s a tough one, it’s tough to understand”) and also that it “has been a nasty one, a big one.”

In the video, Trump is using his favorite dignified scowl. (The New York Times reported last year that the president told staff he wants to look “like Churchill” when he makes this face.) Except Churchill knew more words than an average 10-year-old, and he also wrote them down before he started speaking to the entire country.

</snip>

:lol: :(

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... water.html

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 19 Sep 2018, 19:03

My shower this morning was very wet from the standpoint of water.

What a fucking imbecile. I've worked with people who throw shit like "from the standpoint of" and "again" and "with regards to" throughout their speech, thinking it somehow makes them sound more intelligent or something, and it just drives me nuts. A guy I work with now uses "again" so often it's infuriating. He'll throw "again" into his speech even when he's referencing something for the first time. Aaaaarggghh!!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Sep 2018, 20:25

I used to know this guy who had the verbal tic of saying "so to speak" all the time, without knowing what it meant. Drove me nuts.

And one thing Trump does constantly that really grates is use the formulation "people that" instead of "people who." I'm pretty sure he does it just to bug the fuck out of me and it works.

I liked this observation:

The Trump election was “eighteen parallel uncoordinated system failures that all happened at the same time.”

https://thebaffler.com/blessed-and-brig ... s-of-power

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 19 Sep 2018, 21:58

Sounds to me like they’re setting this Monday hearing date as a red line and if she isn’t there to testify, they vote it out of committee and onward to the full Senate. Who knows what happens if she testified in public but they’re trying to make it sound as if they’re being totally reasonable by providing this chance when (given the Garland history) there’s absolutely no reason for the rush, apart from the obvious political problems they face.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Nextdoorland”