"Fake News"

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Ban "fake news" sites?

Yes
1
13%
No
7
88%
 
Total votes: 8

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36024
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: "Fake News"

Postby yomptepi » 25 Jan 2019, 13:54

Jimbo wrote:


Jim. That guy is the single most ignorant, narcissistic shit wagon I have ever had the misfortune to listen to. How much does he love the sound of his own voice? I love how he laughs at his own copy too. And he just makes stuff up. How ironic someone that ill informed and stupid worries about fake news. I cannot believe you or the " dozens " of other followers have the time to listen to his verbal diarrhea. Really. You do yourself no favours sometimes.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: "Fake News"

Postby Jimbo » 25 Jan 2019, 14:40

yomptepi wrote:
Jimbo wrote:


Jim. That guy is the single most ignorant, narcissistic shit wagon I have ever had the misfortune to listen to. How much does he love the sound of his own voice? I love how he laughs at his own copy too. And he just makes stuff up. How ironic someone that ill informed and stupid worries about fake news. I cannot believe you or the " dozens " of other followers have the time to listen to his verbal diarrhea. Really. You do yourself no favours sometimes.


This is a one off kind of spoof show but the info is legit. Which "fake news" story he featured did you not think worthy of an "award?"

Corbett is a very smart guy, an internet alt news phenom. A former ESL teacher in Japan, married to a Japanese lady got started when he got an apartment with an internet connection. His videos cover conspiracy, history, media, social matters, life in Japan, education, music and other topics. He works his ass off putting out loads of interesting content for free and deserves respect IMO. And he's been criticized about his voice before and it's not a worthwhile criticism. That's his voice. His laughter in this bit was a bit forced I'll admit but still the fake news he exposed is real and worthy of derision. He is well informed, does his homework and I'd recommend holding back your judgement for now. He's got 315K subscribers and is highly respected in my circle of thinkers - which says little in your opinion I'm sure. Maybe you like your info attached to and beholden to some behemoth. But too bad. I like him, his information and his humble style.

https://www.youtube.com/user/corbettreport
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36024
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: "Fake News"

Postby yomptepi » 25 Jan 2019, 15:01

Humble?

Do you know what humble means?
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: "Fake News"

Postby Jimbo » 25 Jan 2019, 15:16

yomptepi wrote:Humble?

Do you know what humble means?


Do you know what petty means? This bit was a stab at comedy, a award show parody done pretty well IMO for an amateur. All that glitz is computer generated. Otherwise the guy cranks out tons of content from his little house in western Japan, always correct, always representative of helping the little guy, never begs for money or subscribers, though he's earned a bunch. Jeez, Yomp, I don't know where you get your info, the BBC perhaps. You think there is anything humble about the BBC - a huge purveyor of fake news BTW.

Now, more importantly, - focus now - what information in the video was incorrect?
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36024
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: "Fake News"

Postby yomptepi » 25 Jan 2019, 15:25

Not worth getting into Jim.

If you think that is factual, then carry on.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: "Fake News"

Postby Jimbo » 25 Jan 2019, 15:36

yomptepi wrote:Not worth getting into Jim.


Image
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27976
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: "Fake News"

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Jan 2019, 19:17

Sorry to say I actually did waste my time with that guy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He actually rehashes this story!

toomanyhatz wrote:Yes, "unconfirmed" is a weasel word. Right. :roll: Nothing to do with the fact that the report WAS actually unconfirmed. Or that they reported their source and even said, directly, that occasionally people are reported dead and then turn out to be alive. Which is exactly what happened. That looks to me like news reporting done correctly. I imagine "your sources" wouldn't do anything as untoward as admitting that something is unconfirmed or quoting their sources.

Here - have a few more.

:roll: :roll: :roll:


Your "sources" are once again full of shit.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27976
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: "Fake News"

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Jan 2019, 20:34

toomanyhatz wrote:A reminder:

toomanyhatz wrote:There seems to be a real misunderstanding here of what "Fake News" actually is. You don't get to call it fake just because you disagree with the conclusions it draws. Davey is noting - correctly - the difference between standard and opinion journalism. I don't recall him saying that standard journalism is completely free of bias, or that there's no practicality to opinions. As I'm fond of saying, you are allowed your own opinions. You are not allowed your own facts. When facts are altered or invented, that and ONLY that constitutes fake news. Something that leaves out something you think should be included, or draws a different conclusion than you do does not make the cut. You can call it bad journalism, you can call it biased toward whatever pov you think it's biased toward, but unless you can prove mistruths in it, it is wrong to call it "Fake News."
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 12963
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: "Fake News"

Postby Sneelock » 25 Jan 2019, 21:54

It seems to me that Jimbo sees News as a salad bar.
He takes what he likes and leaves what he doesn’t.
Björk says we all need to get off Facebook and go for a walk.
https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/mbva ... q097SIBlf4

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68195
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: "Fake News"

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jan 2019, 22:39

And he likes all the crap everyone else leaves as undigestable shit.
To sleep, perchance to dream- ay, there's the rub
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
The fashion of passion i rationed with caution because of the notion the potion of passion had never been passed to me

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: "Fake News"

Postby Jimbo » 25 Jan 2019, 22:47

Hatz, you have some kind of Krytonite where points miss you.

The guy is pictured shot to death. (The next part is the fake part.) The media blame it on Putin. Then the guy turns up alive. Ergo. the media lied and blamed Putin for a crime he didn't do. In case my point missed you thanks to your Krytonite, Putin has been blamed in the media for any number of things lately and then oops, it wasn't Putin.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27976
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: "Fake News"

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Jan 2019, 23:02

Jimbo wrote:Hatz, you have some kind of Krytonite where points miss you.

The guy is pictured shot to death. (The next part is the fake part.) The media blame it on Putin. Then the guy turns up alive. Ergo. the media lied and blamed Putin for a crime he didn't do. In case my point missed you thanks to your Krytonite, Putin has been blamed in the media for any number of things lately and then oops, it wasn't Putin.


Jimbo, you ignorant slut (please forgive the SNL reference) - "the media blame it on Putin" does not qualify as news. It qualifies as an opinion. If the media says "it is the opinion of this writer that Putin is to blame" that can not be fake news, for it is not news. It is an opinion piece. If the media report "so and so was shot by Russian soldiers at the direct behest of Putin" and THEN he turns up alive, that qualifies as fake news.

What kind of kryptonite do you have that makes you so bound and determined to not understand the difference?

That guy does the exact same thing you do time and time again. You don't like the conclusions being drawn, so you claim the facts were misstated whether there were any facts offered or not.

(Cue Jimbo saying "so you agree with their conclusions, then?" Irrelevant, my hard-headed friend. What is at question is your definition of "fake news." Which is an incorrect one.

You are welcome to your opinion that Hillary put me up to saying so. But it will not make it so.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 12963
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: "Fake News"

Postby Sneelock » 25 Jan 2019, 23:09

Jimbo wrote: Krytonite

bartender, give me a Krytonite Martini.
Björk says we all need to get off Facebook and go for a walk.
https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/mbva ... q097SIBlf4

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: "Fake News"

Postby Jimbo » 30 Jan 2019, 15:17

Beyond BuzzFeed: The 10 Worst, Most Embarrassing U.S. Media Failures on the Trump-Russia Story
Glenn Greenwald
January 21 2019

...Note that all of these “errors” go only in one direction: namely, exaggerating the grave threat posed by Moscow and the Trump circle’s connection to it.

10. RT Hacked Into and Took Over C-SPAN (Fortune)
9. Russian Hackers Invaded the U.S. Electricity Grid to Deny Vermonters Heat During the Winter (WashPost)
8. A New, Deranged, Anonymous Group Declares Mainstream Political Sites on the Left and Right to be Russian Propaganda Outlets and WashPost Touts its Report to Claim Massive Kremlin Infiltration of the Internet (WashPost)
7. Trump Aide Anthony Scaramucci is Involved in a Russian Hedge Fund Under Senate Investigation (CNN)
6. Russia Attacked U.S. “Diplomats” (i.e. Spies) at the Cuban Embassy Using a Super-Sophisticated Sonic Microwave Weapon (NBC/MSNBC/CIA)
5. Trump Created a Secret Internet Server to Covertly Communicate with a Russian Bank (Slate)
4. Paul Manafort Visited Julian Assange Three Times in the Ecuadorian Embassy and Nobody Noticed (Guardian/Luke Harding)
3. CNN Explicitly Lied About Lanny Davis Being Its Source – For a Story Whose Substance Was Also False: Cohen Would Testify that Trump Knew in Advance About the Trump Tower Meeting (CNN)
2. Robert Mueller Possesses Internal Emails and Witness Interviews Proving Trump Directed Cohen to Lie to Congress (BuzzFeed)
1. Donald Trump Jr. Was Offered Advanced Access to the WikiLeaks Email Archive (CNN/MSNBC)


https://theintercept.com/2019/01/20/bey ... sia-story/

These media fails were NOT opinions or speculated upon in editorials. These were hard news stories. How could the media get things so wrong? :?
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 12963
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: "Fake News"

Postby Sneelock » 30 Jan 2019, 18:48

you seen Greenwald lately? I see him on "Tucker Carlson Tonight" frequently. he's become to Tucker what Dennis Miller used to be to O'Reilly.

sorry man, all things considered, I think that's a pretty piddly list.
Greenwald thinks it's outrageous McCarthy-ism that anybody look into Trump & Russia.
Trump went to Russia in 1987 and put out a full page "Anti NATO" ad on his return.
outrageous McCarthy-ism? well, what's the downside of finding out? why are you and Greenwald and the Jimmy Dore Brigade so fucking dead set on there being nothing to it?
Björk says we all need to get off Facebook and go for a walk.
https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/mbva ... q097SIBlf4

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27976
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: "Fake News"

Postby toomanyhatz » 30 Jan 2019, 22:28

toomanyhatz wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:A reminder:

toomanyhatz wrote:There seems to be a real misunderstanding here of what "Fake News" actually is. You don't get to call it fake just because you disagree with the conclusions it draws. Davey is noting - correctly - the difference between standard and opinion journalism. I don't recall him saying that standard journalism is completely free of bias, or that there's no practicality to opinions. As I'm fond of saying, you are allowed your own opinions. You are not allowed your own facts. When facts are altered or invented, that and ONLY that constitutes fake news. Something that leaves out something you think should be included, or draws a different conclusion than you do does not make the cut. You can call it bad journalism, you can call it biased toward whatever pov you think it's biased toward, but unless you can prove mistruths in it, it is wrong to call it "Fake News."


Again - show me a single one of those stories where the facts are reported inaccurately by the news source. Just one.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: "Fake News"

Postby Jimbo » 30 Jan 2019, 23:53

toomanyhatz wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:A reminder:



Again - show me a single one of those stories where the facts are reported inaccurately by the news source. Just one.


Sigh. That's why I put the link. A detailed trail of each item on the list is posted from the original "bombshell" to the humble retraction.

And Greewald is on Tucker Carlson nowadays because he is no longer welcome on MSNBC where he used to be a darling.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27976
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: "Fake News"

Postby toomanyhatz » 31 Jan 2019, 00:25

So you don't know what "retraction" means either then?

You can make a case that they trusted dubious sources or used inflammatory headlines or jumped to conclusions or any number of other bad journalistic practices, but there is not a single one there that represents provable intentional deception. And again (and again and again and again) that it was fake news is.

And again, some of those claims will still possibly be proven - they retracted only because their sources did or because they acknowledged that they didn't have enough evidence to meet their standards of truth. Which is what they're SUPPOSED to do!! Show me a single retraction by one of your "sources" and we'll talk.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: "Fake News"

Postby Jimbo » 31 Jan 2019, 00:40

toomanyhatz wrote:So you don't know what "retraction" means either then?

You can make a case that they trusted dubious sources or used inflammatory headlines or jumped to conclusions or any number of other bad journalistic practices, but there is not a single one there that represents provable intentional deception. And again (and again and again and again) that it was fake news is.

And again, some of those claims will still possibly be proven - they retracted only because their sources did or because they acknowledged that they didn't have enough evidence to meet their standards of truth. Which is what they're SUPPOSED to do!! Show me a single retraction by one of your "sources" and we'll talk.


You still haven't read the article have you? That each and every mis-reported Trump-Russia story went against Trump and Russia is evidence that shows these were not usual journalistic slip-ups where corrections are warranted -- in a non-Bizzaro world.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27976
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: "Fake News"

Postby toomanyhatz » 31 Jan 2019, 00:50

I apologize. I read it using my critical thinking skills. I know I wasn't supposed to.

So perhaps you could explain to me in easy-to-understand steps what I'm supposed to be concluding that I'm not concluding.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!