Questions about flying and airports

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Polishgirl

Questions about flying and airports

Postby Polishgirl » 02 Nov 2016, 11:57

1) Do you like flying? On a scale of 1-10, for example, where 1 is * I am scared rigid * and 10 is * I love it; it makes me feel like a god*, how would you rate it?

2) If you really enjoy it, why? If you really hate it, why?

3) What's the worst experience you've had whilst flying?

4) Any success stories, like spontaneous and luxurious upgrades, finding yourself sat next to somebody admirable, finding love over the refreshment trolley?

5) What about airports themselves - do you like the airport environment? How do you pass your time while waiting for your flight?

6) How do you feel about going through airport security these days? Does all the pfaff drive you crazy, or do you fully accept that it's all necessary?
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Polishgirl

Re: Questions about flying and airports

Postby Polishgirl » 02 Nov 2016, 12:56

OK; I'll start, while I'm enjoying my delicious lunch of marmite sandwiches.

1) Do you like flying? On a scale of 1-10, for example, where 1 is * I am scared rigid * and 10 is * I love it; it makes me feel like a god*, how would you rate it?
I oscillate between about a 3 and a 10. I didn't fly till I was in my 30s ( the only family holiday I had as a child was a few days in .....Cornwall), and so I never learned to accept it as an actual workaday thing. It feels unreal to me; I'm always at least a bit surprised that it works. It's brilliant but it's also a bit scary.

Both. It's confusing.

Nothing awful...yet, but Phil and I did get diverted to Linz from Budapest, because it was too foggy to land in Budapest ( they did try 3 times which was horrid). It was a night flight, so we found ourselves being bundled onto a coach at midnight. The only stop in transit was at a services by the Austrian/Hungarian border. Everybody was desperate for the loo, but you had to pay 1 euro to use it, and nobody had euros because Hungary has its own currency. Cue lots of undignified scrambling over and under barriers. We finally got to our hotel in Budapest at 6am.

4) Any success stories, like spontaneous and luxurious upgrades, finding yourself sat next to somebody admirable, finding love over the refreshment trolley?
None. The only vaguely posh thing that's ever happened was when I flew to Serbia with my friend who flies a lot with work and has some sort of BA gold card nonsense, so we used the special lounge for smartypants.

5) What about airports themselves - do you like the airport environment? How do you pass your time while waiting for your flight?
Love 'em, once you're through security. The best places for people watching, spraying yourself with ludicrously expensive perfume until your nose bleeds, and watching all the departures go off.

6) How do you feel about going through airport security these days? Does all the pfaff drive you crazy, or do you fully accept that it's all necessary?
The principle of it doesn't bother me. I never flew before 9/11 so I don't know what it used to be like, although, to hear some people talk, it sounds as though you could casually stroll up to the gate and onto the plane with the odd machine gun/contraband/etc. What really does make me mad is the people who adorn themselves with loads of scarves and belts and shoes with a zillion buckles who are always just ahead of you in the queue, and who take at least 3 hours to disrobe.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 02 Nov 2016, 13:11

The only thing I can say about the whole flying experience is that unless you're first class or business, it is a mildly annoying ordeal that you have to suffer.

There is nothing inherently "enjoyable" about it.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 02 Nov 2016, 13:40

Somebody must enjoy it. Surely? Anybody?

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 02 Nov 2016, 13:57

I don't mind flying, except maybe for that little bit just after take-off, when the plane veers to one side while gaining altitude. It always feels like the plane will just slide off the sky and onto the ground, 'cause surely we're not moving fast enough for this sharp a turn. I'd go with a 6/10 I guess, ju7st for the flying bit. The rest of the procedure is an ordeal I'd rather avoid and have since 9/11 actually as it happens.

Not that bothered either way.

Nothing major I guess. There was the first time I went to NYC for work and on the way back, all the flight were cancelled at LaGuardia with the nearest hotel room available way out on Long Island. Very long night trying to do crosswords in papers I'd never seen before.

There was also a certain Air Canada flight going Montreal-London on which, during meal time, they were showing a nature film featuring insects fighting and eating other insects. Disgusting. That was previous to everyone having their own little screens.

Nope.

Hate them. God-awful places. I'd rather spend an afternoon in jail.

Haven't been through it but I guess I view it as necessary.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Nov 2016, 15:11

Yes I like flying (8). Always have. When I was growing up my dad lived in West Canada, so we flew a lot. And I think it still had a whiff of glamour about it. The Air Canada stewardesses let us have little bottles of wine with dinner. I have done a lot of flying since then - most around the millennium when I had a job on an international magazine.

I actually enjoy the feeling and I like looking down at the landscape. I flew over Greenland once on the way to the US. When are you ever going to get the chance to see massive glaciers from the air... or at all?

There's all the delays and hanging around in terminals that can be a pain, but last summer when we flew to Zante, the plane was coming in too fast and had to scream back into the sky at the last minute - we were nearly on the runway - and come in again from the other direction. It all seemed very scary, but I have a mate who is an airline pilot and he said that Zante runway is notoriously short and you have to contend with a tail wind from one direction (hence the speed) and hills in the other, so it's not unusual.

I have been upgraded a few times - don't know why. Once on a BA flight back from Italy. The plane was called the Isle Of Anglesey. I told the steward that I was born on Anglesey. He looked at me like I was insane. He came back a few minutes later with four little bottles of champagne for me... Perhaps he thought I said it was my birthday? :?
Touring round SE Asia back in the day I was flying with my boss so we went first or business. The Cathay Pacific Lounge at Chek Lap Kok had a free gin and tonic dispenser!

I flew to South East Spain in a brand new ultra-luxurious private Gulfstream jet earlier this year - that was very nice (fastest take off). I had a massage chair! Perhaps I should have felt guilty - it belongs to a massive tory donor, but fuck it. I dropped some of my lunch on his carpet. And to really enjoy that sort of experience there would have to be some kind of Led Zep/Stones '70s drugs orgy on the go... And there wasn't even a sniff of a drink. It was nice to be collected by a limo off the tarmc though.

I used to get drunk quite a lot on business flights because the company would book us on (cheaper) weekend flights, so it often turned into a little works party. One time I woke up coming into Huston and felt so wretched I didn't think they'd let me in. My colleague who picked us up at the airport said I looked yellow. And to make matters worse. it was still the afternoon of the same day :( I have never been that aresoled on a flight since.

I like some and other are horrible. The worst was LAX. The best Copenhagan. I like to have a meal and do a bit of shopping. My daughters always expect a present if I've been abroad on business and the airport is usually my only opportunity to buy them something.

A necessary evil.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 02 Nov 2016, 15:29

How come when the plane is descending there is a moment where it seems they rev up the engines when I'd think they're trying to slow down. I also want to know what powers the plane as it taxis to the runway. Do the wheels have separate engines for taxiing or are the jet engines slowing jetting the craft?

Sorry for not following the thread format but a flying and airports thread is a good idea IMO.
I love you.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 02 Nov 2016, 15:43

Jimbo wrote: I also want to know what powers the plane as it taxis to the runway. Do the wheels have separate engines for taxiing or are the jet engines slowing jetting the craft?

I'm not a scientist, but I'm thinking pixies.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Nov 2016, 15:49

Jimbo wrote:How come when the plane is descending there is a moment where it seems they rev up the engines when I'd think they're trying to slow down. I also want to know what powers the plane as it taxis to the runway. Do the wheels have separate engines for taxiing or are the jet engines slowing jetting the craft?

Sorry for not following the thread format but a flying and airports thread is a good idea IMO.

When the plane is landing and actually on the runway the engines' power is cranked right up but the thrust is reversed to brake the plane. This is done mechanically - cowlings or nascelles (I'm not sure of the technical term) are positioned hydraulically to divert the jets' thrust forward.

Once a plane has become detached from the tug that drags it back away from the gate it uses its jet engines to move forward.

I hope this helps.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Nov 2016, 15:59

Toby wrote:The only thing I can say about the whole flying experience is that unless you're first class or business, it is a mildly annoying ordeal that you have to suffer.

There is nothing inherently "enjoyable" about it.

Agree. I have had to fly for tradeshow business four or seven times a year for about 25 years now. Even though lots of shows are in Vegas, an hour and a half flight for me, I hate travel. It's not the flying, it's all the other associated stuff - checking in, security, renting a car, crowded flights, the in flight seating, etc.

When we were taking the kids on a spring break trip one time when they were young, I told my wife, "If you want to get terrorists to talk, just put them on a flight with a two-year old.

As far as flying itself, my dad was partners with a couple friends with a Cessna, and I've been flying since I was a baby. Flying doesn't bother me at all. Turbulents in an airliner is nothing compared to a small plane.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 02 Nov 2016, 16:24

A 3 I guess. I used to be OK with it, or even quite enjoy it, but now I don’t like it at all. This has happened ever since I had kids. I find I still do relax into it, though, especially on long haul when it becomes clear it is unlikely to fall out of the sky, that shifty bloke I thought might be a terrorist has gone to sleep and that Sylvia Kristel lookalike is clearly not going be joining the mile-high club with me.

I don’t really have a reason for disliking it that I am conscious of. It must be related to having kids, not having control and generally becoming more risk averse as I age, but there is not one definite thing I can put my finger on.

Air China in 1989/1990. A truly third world experience all the way to Australia and back. Ran out of all drinks except Lapsang Souchong by Geneva, stopped at every airport en route to pick up and drop off a handful of passengers, toilets blocked so every time it took off those of us in the back (the smokers) had lift our legs up of get soaked with pee, no entertainment at all, awful service, awful passengers. Wrote what I thought was a humorous essay about it at the time. It was even worse than that Air Philippines flight I was on that was delayed 17 hours (most of them on the ground with us on board) and I got to sit in someone’s vomit for nearly two days.

Never been upgraded. The nearest thing to a good thing that happened was that Virgin Atlantic gave me a bottle of champagne, but that didn’t really compensate for having no inflight entertainment from San Francisco to the UK.

On the whole I hate them, especially Heathrow and Gatwick which are two of the most unpleasant in the world in terms of teeming with human scum. They all have their faults though, I can’t think of one to which I wanted to hurry back. I get bored and look at shops and eat, but I try to spend as little time as possible in them.

Of course it’s necessary, but I hate it. Again, especially in the UK, because, like passport control and everything else, it just doesn’t seem to be quite as understaffed a pain in the arse anywhere else in the world.
We generally try and avoid taking planes now unless it is strictly necessary. If we are going to Toulouse now we prefer to just take a whole day over it and take a comfortable, less stressful train (just one change at Lille from St Pancras) with no getting up in the middle of the night and no airports to contend with. I reckon that because of all the hassle of airports, and getting there early and the delays, the overall door to door time isn’t that different.
"There's nothing more boring than a room full of dopeheads" - Valerie 'Coan' Bingleton

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 02 Nov 2016, 17:12

Deebank wrote:
When the plane is landing and actually on the runway the engines' power is cranked right up but the thrust is reversed to brake the plane. This is done mechanically - cowlings or nascelles (I'm not sure of the technical term) are positioned hydraulically to divert the jets' thrust forward.

Once a plane has become detached from the tug that drags it back away from the gate it uses its jet engines to move forward.

I hope this helps.

Does help. The reverse engine thing makes sense. TY.
I love you.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 02 Nov 2016, 17:35

I never flew in my entire life.

Am I exceptional in this?
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Nov 2016, 18:33

I don't feel adverse about it.... 7/10.

I like it more than dislike it because it means I'm going on holiday mostly....

Probably flying back through Hurricane Gustav in Aug/Sept 0990- it's the only time I've pulled the blind down (except when trying to sleep)

Nope

I find the vast majority deadly dull places... but the people can be fascinating (and I have a very tangible admiration for the logistics/planning required)

Necessary evil.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 02 Nov 2016, 20:09

Probably about a 5 or 6. I fly at least twice a month with my job and I see it as something I tolerate rather than enjoy. all my flights are short haul around Europe. I'm actually flying to Denmark tomorrow morning and back Friday afternoon with an internal flight in between.

Neither, see above.

My plane was struck by lightning once, coming out of Brussels. I could see the storm approaching at the far end of the runway and thought we'd wait till it passed over. But no, we took off straight into it. There was a bright flash and a dull "thud" but to be fair no real effect on the plane. Once we cleared the clouds the pilot confirmed the lightning strike.

Been upgraded a few times. I was once on a flight from Copenhagen to Newcastle with only 4 people on the flight, one of which was a very pretty Danish lady who spontaneously came over and sat next to me and we chatted all the way. But mostly I get sat next to fat sweaty blokes.

I actually enjoy sitting in airports with a coffee and watching the world go by. Such a great mixture of beautiful ladies, eccentric nutters, holiday chavs and utter twats. What's not to like?

It's necessary but a pain in the fucking arse. Especially during holiday season when the airports are full of ill prepared fucwits in crap outfits.
Last edited by Johnny Fartpants on 02 Nov 2016, 20:14, edited 2 times in total.
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 02 Nov 2016, 20:09

*double post*
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 02 Nov 2016, 21:48

I've decided to stop hating it, so now I just nothing. I've never been afraid, but something I get surprised that I'm not afraid. Because we all Should be afraid. It's a giant metal tube taking us up to an incredible height and the wings don't even FLAP.

I don't care, because I take a flight practically every weekend, and have taken to doing it in my sleep.

Well, I'm still alive so it could have never have been SO bad.

I was once really early for a flight, so we were having some tea, and missed it. I cried and was bumped to first class.

Another time I was on a flight from Vienna to London and struck up a conversation with a guy called... Luscious Kingsley Grey (or something like that), who was doing his PhD in Iceland poetry. We hit it off, and when we were about to land he asked for my number. Neither one of us had a pen... so he ran about frantically (needlessly frantically) to find one before I disappeared forever. He got it, and then never called me.

Another time I met a guy whowas doing a postdoc in Biophysics, who also happened to write jazz scores for independent films. He was pretty forward, and I had just had a recent break up... so I didn't know how I felt. I ended up giving him my e-mail address as a cop out. So he wrote me e-mails which I didn't really reply to. Then he asked to add me as a friend on facebook... and i thought that was less hassle than e-mails. He used to chat to me every so often about science and music. We lost touch when he got married, until one day he popped up out of the blue and told me he named his baby daughter after me.

I literally had seen him Once in my life. I never spoke to him again.

Once I saw this toddler with her own little wheely bag, and I was feeling absolutely Rotten and hating every second of being at Stansted.. .and she came wheeling by going "I LOVE holidays! I LOVE flying in planes! I LOVE EVERYTHING!". So, because of her, I try to find some enjoyment there. It's hard, though.

I like to be the winner at it.
My epitaph, please

billy wrote:She took no shit. Very confident and no nonsense woman. Wears her drawers back to front these days ...

Good on her!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Nov 2016, 22:46

hippopotamus wrote:[We lost touch when he got married, until one day he popped up out of the blue and told me he named his baby daughter after me.

I literally had seen him Once in my life. I never spoke to him again.

:lol:

You're like Dulcinea in Don Quixote. I wonder if he told his partner how he chose the name.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Nov 2016, 22:46

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 03 Nov 2016, 10:58

A scenario I really hate is when somebody thinks you're a nervous flyer, and starts telling you that, statistically, you're more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the airport, than in an airplane accident.

Because that just makes you worry about DYING ON THE WAY TO THE AIRPORT. :evil:

Return to “Nextdoorland”