Questions about flying and airports

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Questions about flying and airports

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Nov 2016, 11:07

1) Do you like flying? On a scale of 1-10, for example, where 1 is * I am scared rigid * and 10 is * I love it; it makes me feel like a god*, how would you rate it?

6. I don’t mind it. I don’t like turbulence and I’m not a relaxed flyer but I’m alright with it.

2) If you really enjoy it, why? If you really hate it, why?

Like I said, I’m sorta in the middle.

3) What's the worst experience you've had whilst flying?

Coming back from India I developed the shits on the plane so I spent half the flight in the bog. By the time I arrived at heathrow I’d started to vomit.

4) Any success stories, like spontaneous and luxurious upgrades, finding yourself sat next to somebody admirable, finding love over the refreshment trolley?

I was upgraded to business class when I flew to Mumbai. I don’t talk to people on flights. Nothing worse than getting stuck next to a “talker”. Sheesh.

5) What about airports themselves - do you like the airport environment? How do you pass your time while waiting for your flight?

I actually do. I’m a people watcher so I enjoy watching people from all over the world mingle together. I like the shininess of duty free and the perfumed air reaffirms that I’m going somewhere I want to go. To me it’s quite an exciting smell.

6) How do you feel about going through airport security these days? Does all the pfaff drive you crazy, or do you fully accept that it's all necessary?

It’s a nightmare these days. A real drag.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 03 Nov 2016, 11:51

sloopjohnc wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:[We lost touch when he got married, until one day he popped up out of the blue and told me he named his baby daughter after me.

I literally had seen him Once in my life. I never spoke to him again.

:lol:

You're like Dulcinea in Don Quixote. I wonder if he told his partner how he chose the name.

Yeah, it was probably the same guy who asked me if I was a virgin on a flight to Dubai once. Or his dad.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Nov 2016, 12:45

Belle Lettre wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:[We lost touch when he got married, until one day he popped up out of the blue and told me he named his baby daughter after me.

You're like Dulcinea in Don Quixote. I wonder if he told his partner how he chose the name.

Yeah, it was probably the same guy who asked me if I was a virgin on a flight to Dubai once. Or his dad.

:?

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Nov 2016, 21:14

1) Do you like flying? On a scale of 1-10, for example, where 1 is * I am scared rigid * and 10 is * I love it; it makes me feel like a god*, how would you rate it?

5/10 It is no different than a bus or a cab except it's less comfortable seating-wise. The flying bit has lost its luster many years ago although looking out and down at the clouds can be a fun distraction for a few seconds.

I've never had the pleasure of flying first class so it's about the cramped space and I'm 67 inches tall and 135 lbs. so I don't take up a lot of space. The security gauntlet has really removed any bit of pleasure one could expect.

Having a security guard take issue with my tiny pocket knife (2- 3 inch blade) and threatening to remove me from the airport.
This was before 9/11 obviously. The oher time was visiting a friend and having him take me to the airport and I almost missed my flight, something I've never had happen when I was in control. I literally ran through the airport with my bag and ran down the runway and watched the door of the plane shit. I knocked on ot and they opened it and let me in. You can't get any closer to missing a flight than that and in today's world you couldn't do what I did.

4) Any success stories, like spontaneous and luxurious upgrades, finding yourself sat next to somebody admirable, finding love over the refreshment trolley?

Not a success story but I chuckle about it from time to time. I was on the way to navy bootcamp and me and a few other recruits decided we had nothing to lose and fired up a joint midflight. This was when smoking was allowed on planes. A stewardess came back to our area and asked if there was any carpet burning back there. It was stupid but I was 19 and felt the risk was low that anything bad would happen. One f the first things we were asked to do when we got to the base was pee in a cup. I doubt they tested for marijuana back then so we never were hassled.

My ex was traveling from Phoenix and her seat mate spilled water on her. She didn't freak out and joked with the guy who was obviously embarassed as it turns out he had some fellow emloyees on the plane who witnessed it too. They got on the subject of beer and my wife mentioned Narwhal, a dark beer made by Sierra Nevada. It turns out he was the manager of that brewery's Phoenix operation so he said he'd send her some when he got back home. Sierra Nevada's home operation is about an hour north of Sacramento where we live so he was probably heading there. A week later we get a package with two t-shirts, a 22oz. bottle of Narwhal and some coasters and other incidentals. All for being polite and reasonable with an accident.

5) What about airports themselves - do you like the airport environment? How do you pass your time while waiting for your flight?

I don't really care for the environment. It's hard to get comfortable in the crap chairs everyone has. I give myself plenty of time so zi can avoid the stress of running late so I usually have an hour to get through security. The food has been poor historically but it has improved somewhat in recent years. The booze is overpriced and wine choices are pitifull.

6) How do you feel about going through airport security these days? Does all the pfaff drive you crazy, or do you fully accept that it's all necessary?

I accept it but I don't like it. Is that contradictory? I try to cooperate as best possible to keep things moving. It's my least favorite part of the process but I've learned to relax and go with the flow so to speak.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Nov 2016, 21:33

Belle Lettre wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 03 Nov 2016, 21:42

It is just part of life and a rather boring part. I fly long haul 10-12 times a year and it is just something I do to get to work.

Loads

Top 3:

Woman screaming that we were crashing and were all going to die during the middle of the night on a flight from Oz.
Extreme CAT over St Petersburg on an Air France flight to Osaka that had me floating in mid air like a trainee astronaut for a fraction of a second coming back from the loos before landing on my knees like a heavy metal guitar hero.
The Whole aircraft banging and juddering on a take off from Bangkok and seeing the Flight Engineer sprinting back towards where I was sitting as we were still climbing away from the runway - apparently just a cargo door that was trying to shut and overloading the hydraulics but it was right under my seat and felt like the plane was going to break up.

Number 4 would be general annoyances like in flight entertainment that doesn't work or sitting next to a Japanese man eating incredibly smelly dried fish snacks for hours.

Nope, 21 years of flying and one upgrade to business class. Did cop off with a hairdresser on her way to a cruise ship in Rio once, which was nice if a bit tawdry.

Some are OK some are hellish. Now we are no longer supposed to drink alcohol on crew changes long layovers can be tedious but at least you no longer come to on an airplane with the hangover from hell.

Changi is nice, Heathrow is fine as long as you aren't changing terminals, which as it is my home airport I never do. Schipol is OK.

I can't recommend Porbandar in India.

It is so streamlined these days it no longer even seems to be too much of a chore. Took me about 5 minutes last time.
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 03 Nov 2016, 21:46

]1) Do you like flying? On a scale of 1-10, for example, where 1 is * I am scared rigid * and 10 is * I love it; it makes me feel like a god*, how would you rate it?

5. It's pretty boring but I don't mind it. Actually, make that a 4, the hanging around and the packing and unpacking are a (necessary) drag.

No

I used to get 'airplane headache', it's hideous. And I had a close toilet call after being stuck on the tarmac at Munich with a raging hangover.

I was upgraded to first both legs on a flight to California. That was fairly ace. The day I travelled back was the day after there was a botched terrorism attempt on Glasgow airport, where I was flying to. I was interviewed at the airport by NBC and was seen by the stewardess on TV!

I love the feeling of being in a luxurious limbo, particularly if I can have a few drinks. Hate it if it's a shabby airport or too busy.

As I said above, I get it but it's a pain in the backside.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Nov 2016, 22:07

I am still amazed by it. Like Louis CK says, "You're flying in the sky. In a chair!"

It's where I have absolutely no responsibilities. Everything is out of my hands.

When the video machine at my seat was broken on a flight from US to Japan. And I was looking forward to watching the movies. It's the one thing I actually love about flying, catching up on movies.

Once when our boy was a toddler a passenger complained about him kicking the seat and they booted the 3 of us to business class. The next time we flew we asked if there was some way to prevent our son from bothering the other passengers and they had no choice but to give us business class seats again! But our little scam never worked again. :(

Tokyo's airports are much nicer now than they used to be. They're like nice shopping malls with real stores and lots of restaurants. And they don't have rip off airport prices.

I get all 9/11 truthy -- in my mind -- grumbling that all this bullshit is based on a lie.
I love you.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 03 Nov 2016, 23:01

On the understanding that I am excused essay questions:

When I was a kid it was a 10, but I dislike it more every year, really hate taking off and landing. So down to a 5.

Trapped wind - I end up with as much gas as Rasputia in Norbit
I suppose it was the girl vomiting all over my arm and brand new check shirt I was rather proud of aged 13. This in the days when the only aid to freshening up in the bogs was Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass cologne.
Of course people used to throw up more on the older models of aircraft. Bumpy ride.

We found ourselves in Lebanon at exactly the time Israel decided to launch Operation Grapes of Wrath in 1996. After an unpleasant few days including the car almost leaping off the road from the reflected impact of their bombing of a power station, we flew back to London I'll never forget the feeling of "get this fucking thing in the air" as we waited for takeoff, nor the palpable relief on the faces of passengers and crew alike when we were finally aloft.
Boring as hell. I eat too many sweets.
I don't really care, but it is annoying that I seem to set things off. I've had to go in that new body-scanner twice.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 03 Nov 2016, 23:05

Jimbo wrote:
Tokyo's airports are much nicer now than they used to be. They're like nice shopping malls with real stores and lots of restaurants..

There is a Burger joint tucked around the back of the food court at Haneda that does a mean pistou Burger.

Genuinely, top notch, tasty, and they cook from scratch and give you a little buzzer so you can sit down with your hard cider while you wait.
Heard a voice shoutng "Don't jump! Please for God's sake let me move my car"

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 09 Feb 2017, 23:26

I'm not crazy about flying. The taking off part is pretty scary to me. Then landing when you hear that big rumbling sound of the tires touching down is also somewhat unnerving. I'm pretty scared of heights when I'm in a tall building, but when the airplane is aloft I don't have any problem looking down; I love the grand view from cruising altitude. I actually prefer a window seat.

I kind of love airports, for some reason. Maybe it's the modernity of everything. It seems all the latest technology is always in use or on display there.

I've never really had a great or terrible airport/airplane experience. This could change when I fly to Mexico City, hopefully later this year.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Nextdoorland”