How much of a racist are you?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Betty Denim
Posts: 713
Joined: 23 May 2014, 15:47

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Betty Denim » 21 Aug 2016, 15:20

Heehee.
;)
mission wrote:gravity's greedy fingerfucking

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Guy E » 21 Aug 2016, 17:02

The Prof wrote:People like people that are like themselves...

Ever hear the phrase, "Opposites attract?" If what you say is true nobody'd be makin' babies.

If men put a fraction of the effort into understanding men of other races that they put into understanding the women of their own race, there would be no racism (and vice versa, etc.).
soundchaser wrote:I think every person in the world, has racist tendencies...

I don't know if that's true. I was raised to NOT be racist, but it's an abstract notion when you're raised around a limited variety of people. There happened to be a fairly large Mexican population in my hometown, but no Blacks. And when we'd drive through Black neighborhoods on our way to my grandfather's house in Chicago I thought the people on the street looked quite exotic. I was curious about who they were and how they lived. It was mysterious to me, but I don't remember looking down in any way. And I'll credit my parents with that, I was raised not to look down.

Ultimately, feeling natural with people who look different or are from another culture is complicated. As an American, I think it takes a close friendship or two with an African-American to develop an appreciation of what it's like to be Black. Understanding and empathizing with the little indignities that Black people negotiate isn't something you can get from reading a magazine article. Once you've become friends, you don't have to be vigilant about it or even talk about it, the friendship is natural. You see their loving family and develop a positive perspective. But you can't truly respect someone who baffles you, so it helps a lot to develop a friendship.

It's not about a checklist of "do's" and "don'ts" but you have to be smart enough to know not to use the "N" word or do other stupid shit.

We happened to spend last night in a hotel as the guests of the owners, old friends of my wife's family. It's an all-inclusive food & drink family holiday place with mostly English and German tourists, kids under 12 are free so there were a LOT of little kids. The guests were nice enough to the Turkish staff, but it cracked me up when I watched one adult after another carrying a plate of French fries, burgers and peas 'n' carrots to their dinner table. The buffet was extensive and the food was very good compared to most hotel buffets I've ever had. But most people were incapable of going outside their TV Dinner comfort zone during a vacation in Turkey.

I think the basic point in Toby's opening post is true though. There are endless degrees of racism and people of different races and ethnicities do exhibit different kinds of behavior. Claiming to be NOT racist is well-intentioned, but bold. Still, I think I got there after 40-years of living in NYC... at least in terms of America's racial stew. That doesn't mean I'm blind to skin color, class and ethnicity... Christ, we judge each other based on clothing. But when I enter a social situation with Black people I look forward to it. The humor and laughter is usually at a much higher level than with an average assortment of White folks. The conversation tends to me more animated, more open somehow. In NYC I frequently found my eyes being drawn to Black women with absolutely beaming smiles... exuding a degree of joy that's [I guess] culturally repressed among Caucasians.

So sure, not all people are alike. It's how one processes the information and responds to it that counts.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

User avatar
Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43110
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Stille Baron » 21 Aug 2016, 17:12

Big news: I've tendered my resignation to the KKK. I hope you're all happy.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
harvey k-tel
Long Player
Posts: 40303
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby harvey k-tel » 21 Aug 2016, 17:27

*raises a Coors Light in Baron's honour*
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29688
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 21 Aug 2016, 17:31

Guy E wrote: exuding a degree of joy that's [I guess] culturally repressed among Caucasians.

.


Patronising, generalising nonsense.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Guy E » 21 Aug 2016, 17:50

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Guy E wrote: exuding a degree of joy that's [I guess] culturally repressed among Caucasians.

.


Patronising, generalising nonsense.

Defensive, insecure nonsense.

And that was also true in every office I ever worked in. The nicest people in the office were always the Black women. They had the best sense of humor, were genuinely friendly and easy to laugh with. They often wore religion on their sleeves, but never in a patronizing manner.

One of the things I miss most about the US is African-Americans.
Last edited by Guy E on 21 Aug 2016, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29688
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 21 Aug 2016, 17:54

What am I insecure about?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Guy E » 21 Aug 2016, 17:57

Minnie the Minx wrote:What am I insecure about?

Who am I patronizing? Why would you have a problem with the fact that my eyes are drawn to the smiles of Black women. You're living in the US. Are you really going to tell me that the White Texans around you exude "joy" in this election year? Yikes!
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29688
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 21 Aug 2016, 18:03

Guy E wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:What am I insecure about?

Who am I patronizing? Why would you have a problem with the fact that my eyes are drawn to the smiles of Black women. You're living in the US. Are you really going to tell me that the White Texans around you exude "joy" in this election year? Yikes!


I don't care who your eyes are drawn to. It's your remarks about Caucasian people being too culturally repressed to 'glow with joy' that I'm trying to unpack. Your follow up comments about Texas don't add weight to your argument, they are cliffside scrambling.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29688
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 21 Aug 2016, 18:04

What am I insecure about?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63832
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Aug 2016, 18:42

Guy E wrote:As an American, I think it takes a close friendship or two with an African-American to develop an appreciation of what it's like to be Black. Understanding and empathizing with the little indignities that Black people negotiate isn't something you can get from reading a magazine article.


I sometimes stop off at a little convenience store on the way home from work to pick up a bottle of wine and/or smokes. One evening, a young black woman was in the store at the same time. At the counter, she said to the owner, "I saw you looking at me the whole time, don't worry I have money."

I got where she was coming from, but I wanted to tell her that the owners did that to everyone because I've seen them.

On a lighter note - our house was in the east bay area which is much more multi-ethnic. Sometimes I'd be the only white guy on the court. One good pass and outside shot and I'd get called Larry Bird the whole day. Bird shot a set shot, is 6' 9" and I shoot a true jumper and am 5' 11". My ex-brother in law, who's black, would sometimes come and join me. When forming teams, they'd pick him before me and when he'd enlist his other team's players to pick me, I could hear him say, "No, he's good, really."

Pretty funny.

And don't think having some "game" or knowing football and basketball doesn't hurt. Obama putting a basketball court in at the white house at huge cultural significance for black males in the US.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 21 Aug 2016, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Guy E » 21 Aug 2016, 18:52

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Guy E wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:What am I insecure about?

Who am I patronizing? Why would you have a problem with the fact that my eyes are drawn to the smiles of Black women. You're living in the US. Are you really going to tell me that the White Texans around you exude "joy" in this election year? Yikes!


I don't care who your eyes are drawn to. It's your remarks about Caucasian people being too culturally repressed to 'glow with joy' that I'm trying to unpack. Your follow up comments about Texas don't add weight to your argument, they are cliffside scrambling.

I lived in the USA for 62-years and I know how people behave and how they have changed through the years. Mistrust defines life for a lot of Americans. Perhaps you are not drawn to luminous female smiles in the same way that I am.

You're here to pick fights, so... pick away. That's your thing.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63832
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Aug 2016, 18:56

Guy E wrote: But when I enter a social situation with Black people I look forward to it. The humor and laughter is usually at a much higher level than with an average assortment of White folks. The conversation tends to me more animated, more open somehow


Yes and no. I think it depends on how many white folk are around, ratio to black and white, and if the situation is comfortable or not.

Like I said, I've been to many family reunions with my brother-in-law's family and I've seen conversations change in tenor depending who people are talking to and the racial dynamics of the group.

But I've seen this guard put up among my Hispanic and gay friends too. The more comfortable the environment, the more natural or uninhibited people become.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32787
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Aug 2016, 18:57

Do you think it has something to do with class rather than race?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Guy E » 21 Aug 2016, 18:59

sloopjohnc wrote:
Guy E wrote:As an American, I think it takes a close friendship or two with an African-American to develop an appreciation of what it's like to be Black. Understanding and empathizing with the little indignities that Black people negotiate isn't something you can get from reading a magazine article.


I sometimes stop off at a little convenience store on the way home from work to pick up a bottle of wine and/or smokes. One evening, a young black woman was in the store at the same time. At the counter, she said to the owner, "I saw you looking at me the whole time, don't worry I have money."

I got where she was coming from, but I wanted to tell her that the owners did that to everyone because I've seen them.

From what I've observed, most Black people develop a pretty thick skin. The daily BS rolls of their backs and they embrace the positive. It's a strong philosophical perspective. People who are impoverished are probably different, there's a deeper resentment.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29688
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 21 Aug 2016, 18:59

Guy E wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:
Guy E wrote:Who am I patronizing? Why would you have a problem with the fact that my eyes are drawn to the smiles of Black women. You're living in the US. Are you really going to tell me that the White Texans around you exude "joy" in this election year? Yikes!


I don't care who your eyes are drawn to. It's your remarks about Caucasian people being too culturally repressed to 'glow with joy' that I'm trying to unpack. Your follow up comments about Texas don't add weight to your argument, they are cliffside scrambling.

I lived in the USA for 62-years and I know how people behave and how they have changed through the years. Mistrust defines life for a lot of Americans. Perhaps you are not drawn to luminous female smiles in the same way that I am.

You're here to pick fights, so... pick away. That's your thing.


You're making less and less sense with each response. Except for the picking fights bit.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Guy E » 21 Aug 2016, 19:02

sloopjohnc wrote:
Guy E wrote: But when I enter a social situation with Black people I look forward to it. The humor and laughter is usually at a much higher level than with an average assortment of White folks. The conversation tends to me more animated, more open somehow


Yes and no. I think it depends on how many white folk are around, ratio to black and white, and if the situation is comfortable or not.

Like I said, I've been to many family reunions with my brother-in-law's family and I've seen conversations change in tenor depending who people are talking to and the racial dynamics of the group.

But I've seen this guard put up among my Hispanic and gay friends too. The more comfortable the environment, the more natural or uninhibited people become.

Sure. I was thinking of situations where I'm the only white person or it's me and Zena, who's Turkish with North African blood. It is all about the comfort zone.

Racial dynamics are complicated.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Guy E » 21 Aug 2016, 19:04

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Guy E wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:
I don't care who your eyes are drawn to. It's your remarks about Caucasian people being too culturally repressed to 'glow with joy' that I'm trying to unpack. Your follow up comments about Texas don't add weight to your argument, they are cliffside scrambling.

I lived in the USA for 62-years and I know how people behave and how they have changed through the years. Mistrust defines life for a lot of Americans. Perhaps you are not drawn to luminous female smiles in the same way that I am.

You're here to pick fights, so... pick away. That's your thing.


You're making less and less sense with each response.

So you're a closet lesbian who is drawn to a woman's smile and you think Americans are happier and more positive than they were in the past (when you didn't live here)? You're making no sense whatsoever.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29688
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 21 Aug 2016, 19:17

Yeah, that's it.
Have a nice evening love. Have a couple of pints of water before bed.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63832
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Aug 2016, 22:25

Goat Boy wrote:Do you think it has something to do with class rather than race?


Everthing's about class with you guys.

;)
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!