How much of a racist are you?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Guy E

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Guy E » 22 Aug 2016, 13:35

clive gash wrote:
Guy E wrote:
The Prof wrote:I don't know what you are talking about. "Voluntary segregation"?
People from Pakistan being 90% muslim probably don't go in pubs anyway

But groups of people going in pubs usually know each other from work, or college or school and mix freely - they gravitate towards each other because they like each other. Unless Huddersfield is totally different from the rest of the UK but I suspect it isn't

There was a thread some years ago in which the issue of "voluntary segregation" in pubs - a front room / back room divide - was debated at length. The Brits who patronize such pubs couldn't understand why the Americans thought the concept was so funny.

As I recall it was Matt who said he'd visited such a pub on a trip to England. The Brits couldn't believe that it existed.

I remember Corporate whore and a few others saying that they didn't understand what the problem was with voluntary segregation... it wasn't a far-fetched claim from Matty Red Socks.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 22 Aug 2016, 13:37

It was Matt Wilson wasn't it?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:That's it. I've taken the decision. I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 22 Aug 2016, 13:55

clive gash wrote:It was Matt Wilson wasn't it?

My recollection is Matty Red Socks. I honestly don't recall Matt Wilson ever getting riled-up about discussions of racism and he's a less-frequent visitor to Nextdoorland than I am, but a cursory search didn't turn up the thread so I don't know.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Aug 2016, 14:25

There is some truth in the 'segregation' thing, although nothing to do with race.

Many pubs used to have a 'Public Bar' and a 'snug' or saloon which was slightly 'posher' but these are long gone, I don;t know how old the visitor that reported this sytem in operation is, but I suspect that the locals were taking the piss.

From Wikipedia:

By the 20th century, the saloon, or lounge bar, had become a middle-class room[citation needed]—carpets on the floor, cushions on the seats, and a penny or two on the prices,[citation needed] while the public bar, or tap room, remained working class with bare boards, sometimes with sawdust to absorb the spitting and spillages (known as "spit and sawdust"[33]), hard bench seats, and cheap beer[citation needed]. This bar was known as the four-ale bar from the days when the cheapest beer served there cost 4 pence (4d) a quart.[citation needed]

Later, the public bars gradually improved until sometimes almost the only difference was in the prices, so that customers could choose between economy and exclusivity (or youth and age, or a jukebox or dartboard).[citation needed] With the blurring of class divisions in the 1960s and 1970s,[citation needed] the distinction between the saloon and the public bar was often seen as archaic,[citation needed] and was frequently abolished, usually by the removal of the dividing wall or partition.[citation needed] While the names of saloon and public bar may still be seen on the doors of pubs, the prices (and often the standard of furnishings and decoration) are the same throughout the premises,[34] and many pubs now comprise one large room. However the modern importance of dining in pubs encourages some establishments to maintain distinct rooms or areas.

Snug[edit]
The "snug", sometimes called the smoke room, was typically a small, very private room with access to the bar that had a frosted glass external window, set above head height. A higher price was paid for beer in the snug and nobody could look in and see the drinkers. It was not only the wealthy visitors who would use these rooms. The snug was for patrons who preferred not to be seen in the public bar. Ladies would often enjoy a private drink in the snug in a time when it was frowned upon for women to be in a pub. The local police officer might nip in for a quiet pint, the parish priest for his evening whisky, or lovers for a rendezvous.

CAMRA have surveyed the 50,000 pubs in Britain and they believe that there are very few pubs that still have classic snugs. These are on a historic interiors list in order that they can be preserved.[35]
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 22 Aug 2016, 15:25

That's hardly the same thing. A saloon and a tap room. Or eating and drinking areas.

The suggestion here is different races have different rooms in pubs

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Aug 2016, 15:27

Goat Boy wrote:Some very odd posts on this thread

What do you expect from a bunch of white folks talking about race?
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Aug 2016, 15:45

The Prof wrote:That's hardly the same thing. A saloon and a tap room. Or eating and drinking areas.

The suggestion here is different races have different rooms in pubs

Is it? I must have missed that specific post. I saw some stuff about 'Pakis' but as I think you pointed out, muslims don't do alcohol.

I don't think race has ever been an issue in pubs to my knowledge.
And on the whole I don't think they were ever establishments for posh people, so they have only ever really been about the working and middles classes.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 22 Aug 2016, 15:53

Deebank wrote:I don't think race has ever been an issue in pubs to my knowledge.

Me neither.

I quote;
"None of which justifies the "voluntary segregation" of whites and Paki's in English pubs."

If I was French I'd do the shrugging shoulders thing.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Aug 2016, 16:25

The Prof wrote:
Deebank wrote:I don't think race has ever been an issue in pubs to my knowledge.

Me neither.

I quote;
"None of which justifies the "voluntary segregation" of whites and Paki's in English pubs."

If I was French I'd do the shrugging shoulders thing.

'Voluntary segregation" in as much as that on the whole people from Pakistan aren't really typical pub customers for the reasons stated. It's a generalisation of course and I'm sure there are plenty of brits of Punjabi origin who like a pint and I'm equally sure that there are probably the odd one or two pubs where they wouldn't be welcomed, but there's no segregation.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 25 Aug 2016, 12:17

The general assumption here seems to be that "Paki's" [my attempt at impersonating an English racist] and all Brits of Middle Eastern or Western Asian descent are devout Muslims who would never enter a pub or touch a drop of alcohol. That is quite comical... talk about your racist stereotypes. Some of you guys really don't get around much, do you?

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 25 Aug 2016, 12:23

Guy E wrote:The general assumption here seems to be that "Paki's" [my attempt at impersonating an English racist] and all Brits of Middle Eastern or Western Asian descent are devout Muslims who would never enter a pub or touch a drop of alcohol. That is quite comical... talk about your racist stereotypes. Some of you guys really don't get around much, do you?

Well , when they do they ain't segregated.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 25 Aug 2016, 12:27

jimboo ™ wrote:
Guy E wrote:The general assumption here seems to be that "Paki's" [my attempt at impersonating an English racist] and all Brits of Middle Eastern or Western Asian descent are devout Muslims who would never enter a pub or touch a drop of alcohol. That is quite comical... talk about your racist stereotypes. Some of you guys really don't get around much, do you?

Well , when they do they ain't segregated.

That thread seems to have disappeared. I remember a few lines from Corporate whore's posts and nothing comes up in a search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Aug 2016, 12:39

Do you think it's anything like the assumption that all African American women are beaming, glowing unrepressed goddesses leaving the uptight people - not - of - colour trembling in their wake or that all African American people make the workplace bearable through their loving personalities?

Or are generalisations OK, as long as they're seen to be flattering to the subjects involved?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 25 Aug 2016, 14:32

Minnie the Minx wrote:

Do you think it's anything like the assumption that all African American women are beaming, glowing unrepressed goddesses leaving the uptight people - not - of - colour trembling in their wake or that all African American people make the workplace bearable through their loving personalities?

Or are generalisations OK, as long as they're seen to be flattering to the subjects involved?

Generalizations are okay (although I was talking about my own personal perspective there, not making a generalization) as long as they piss-off "Minnie The Snotty Narcisister" who takes personal offense at absolutely EVERYTHING!!! :lol:
Last edited by Guy E on 30 Aug 2016, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Aug 2016, 14:38

Guy E wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:

Generalizations are okay (although I was talking about my own personal perspective there, not making a generalization) as long as they piss-off "Minnie The Snotty Narcissisister" who takes personal offense at absolutely EVERYTHING!!! :lol:

:D
I like that title. I'm going to use it.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Jul 2017, 03:18

Last edited by Minnie the Minx on 23 Jul 2017, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Markus wrote:

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jul 2017, 12:43

Wow.
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

In the future, in case you're wondering, "Crime, boy I don't know" is where I decided to kick your ass.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Jul 2017, 13:15

Deleted as I'm now sober. Sorry that you all got to see the dirty laundry.

Dr Markus wrote:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Jul 2017, 14:15

Blimey!
Quite glad I wasn't around for this one!
Incidentally I do remember the Matt W 'segregation' post and what he said was comprehensively shown to be nonsense. Odd to see it dredged up years later as an incontrovertible 'fact.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 24 Jul 2017, 07:23

I feel like I've just missed something.