How much of a racist are you?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Re: How much of a racist are you?

Postby Loki » 22 Aug 2016, 08:29

Count Machuki wrote:I better quit while I'm ahead before I'm labelled History's Greatest Monster.

No, that was Jimmy Carter.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 22 Aug 2016, 10:30

Guy E wrote:
The Prof wrote:People like people that are like themselves...

Ever hear the phrase, "Opposites attract?" If what you say is true nobody'd be makin' babies.

That's ridiculous.
People that share the same interests and outlook are attracted to each other.

According to some research we are slightly attracted to people that even look slightly like we do

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... ho-look-us

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 22 Aug 2016, 11:06

The Prof wrote:
Guy E wrote:
The Prof wrote:People like people that are like themselves...

Ever hear the phrase, "Opposites attract?" If what you say is true nobody'd be makin' babies.

That's ridiculous.
People that share the same interests and outlook are attracted to each other.

According to some research we are slightly attracted to people that even look slightly like we do

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... ho-look-us

It's not ridiculous at all. I know couples who could be brother and sister and I know couples that are very, very different from one another. I certainly know lots of couples who do not look like they were cut from the same genetic cloth. Are shared values a key ingredient in a successful marriage? Yes, I would say so. But common interests aren't that important. In most marriages husband and wife pursue separate interests all the time.

None of which justifies the "voluntary segregation" of whites and Paki's in English pubs. How do you know that you have no shared interests with the Paki's just because they don't need No. 30 Sunblock during their holidays in the sun?
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 22 Aug 2016, 11:14

I don't know what you are talking about. "Voluntary segregation"?
People from Pakistan being 90% muslim probably don't go in pubs anyway

But groups of people going in pubs usually know each other from work, or college or school and mix freely - they gravitate towards each other because they like each other. Unless Huddersfield is totally different from the rest of the UK but I suspect it isn't

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Aug 2016, 11:16

Some very odd posts on this thread
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 22 Aug 2016, 11:25

This poisonous thread
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Aug 2016, 11:33

Goat Boy wrote:Some very odd posts on this thread

There have been. But it's fascinating too, isn't it?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Aug 2016, 11:38

I'm sorry but I don't want to talk to you.

Voluntary segregation n all that
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Aug 2016, 11:40

lol
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 22 Aug 2016, 11:47

The Prof wrote:I don't know what you are talking about. "Voluntary segregation"?

But groups of people going in pubs usually know each other from work, or college or school and mix freely - they gravitate towards each other because they like each other. Unless Huddersfield is totally different from the rest of the UK but I suspect it isn't

There was a thread some years ago in which the issue of "voluntary segregation" in pubs - a front room / back room divide - was debated at length. The Brits who patronize such pubs couldn't understand why the Americans thought the concept was so funny.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 22 Aug 2016, 11:54

Don't remember the thread and have never seen or heard of anything remotely like this.

You are saying that British pubs divide on front room / back room lines by race? Whites in one room and Pakistanis in the other?

Anyone?

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 22 Aug 2016, 12:54

Stuck in the middle with you, mate
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 22 Aug 2016, 13:04

I've just spotted a lesbian with a handbag full of pakoras waving a Texan flag and dancing to Southern Death Cult.

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 22 Aug 2016, 13:10

The Prof wrote:I've just spotted a lesbian with a handbag full of pakoras waving a Texan flag and dancing to Southern Death Cult.

How many degrees of joy would you say she was exuding?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 22 Aug 2016, 13:17

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 22 Aug 2016, 13:25

Guy E wrote:
The Prof wrote:I don't know what you are talking about. "Voluntary segregation"?

There was a thread some years ago in which the issue of "voluntary segregation" in pubs - a front room / back room divide - was debated at length. The Brits who patronize such pubs couldn't understand why the Americans thought the concept was so funny.

As I recall it was Matt who said he'd visited such a pub on a trip to England. The Brits couldn't believe that it existed.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 22 Aug 2016, 13:35

clive gash wrote:
Guy E wrote:

As I recall it was Matt who said he'd visited such a pub on a trip to England. The Brits couldn't believe that it existed.

I remember Corporate whore and a few others saying that they didn't understand what the problem was with voluntary segregation... it wasn't a far-fetched claim from Matty Red Socks.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 22 Aug 2016, 13:37

It was Matt Wilson wasn't it?

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 22 Aug 2016, 13:55

clive gash wrote:It was Matt Wilson wasn't it?

My recollection is Matty Red Socks. I honestly don't recall Matt Wilson ever getting riled-up about discussions of racism and he's a less-frequent visitor to Nextdoorland than I am, but a cursory search didn't turn up the thread so I don't know.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Aug 2016, 14:25

There is some truth in the 'segregation' thing, although nothing to do with race.

Many pubs used to have a 'Public Bar' and a 'snug' or saloon which was slightly 'posher' but these are long gone, I don;t know how old the visitor that reported this sytem in operation is, but I suspect that the locals were taking the piss.

From Wikipedia:

By the 20th century, the saloon, or lounge bar, had become a middle-class room[citation needed]—carpets on the floor, cushions on the seats, and a penny or two on the prices,[citation needed] while the public bar, or tap room, remained working class with bare boards, sometimes with sawdust to absorb the spitting and spillages (known as "spit and sawdust"[33]), hard bench seats, and cheap beer[citation needed]. This bar was known as the four-ale bar from the days when the cheapest beer served there cost 4 pence (4d) a quart.[citation needed]

Later, the public bars gradually improved until sometimes almost the only difference was in the prices, so that customers could choose between economy and exclusivity (or youth and age, or a jukebox or dartboard).[citation needed] With the blurring of class divisions in the 1960s and 1970s,[citation needed] the distinction between the saloon and the public bar was often seen as archaic,[citation needed] and was frequently abolished, usually by the removal of the dividing wall or partition.[citation needed] While the names of saloon and public bar may still be seen on the doors of pubs, the prices (and often the standard of furnishings and decoration) are the same throughout the premises,[34] and many pubs now comprise one large room. However the modern importance of dining in pubs encourages some establishments to maintain distinct rooms or areas.

Snug[edit]
The "snug", sometimes called the smoke room, was typically a small, very private room with access to the bar that had a frosted glass external window, set above head height. A higher price was paid for beer in the snug and nobody could look in and see the drinkers. It was not only the wealthy visitors who would use these rooms. The snug was for patrons who preferred not to be seen in the public bar. Ladies would often enjoy a private drink in the snug in a time when it was frowned upon for women to be in a pub. The local police officer might nip in for a quiet pint, the parish priest for his evening whisky, or lovers for a rendezvous.

CAMRA have surveyed the 50,000 pubs in Britain and they believe that there are very few pubs that still have classic snugs. These are on a historic interiors list in order that they can be preserved.[35]
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro