The future of the Labour Party

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Deebank
Resonator

Re: The future of the Labour Party

Postby Deebank » 11 Feb 2017, 12:42

The Prof wrote:I think the theory was that for every centerist/blairite Labour voter the left, 2 disenfranchised, fed-up-with-politics, previous non-voters would find the Corbyn led Labour party attractive and join.
Not sure how that's working out.

He certainly attracted a lot of new members. I don't think that that's nearly enough though. Sadly.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 12 Feb 2017, 02:32

Deebank wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Deebank wrote:That's because elections are won on the centre ground as I said some time ago a

It's trite bollocks though isn't it?

Some are some aren't

I don't think Trump won by firmly standing in the center ground of US politics, do you?

Well he didn't win (the popular vote).

In England I don't see anyone voting Corbyn who wouldn't have voted Labour anyway - but he may have lost many moderates. Time will tell but I don't see him benefitting from any rejection of the mainstream.

Right or wrong for many he represents a lentilmunching terrorist-hugging lefty stereotype that they won't countenance.

That's just semantics, he won the election standing on the far right.

And Corbyn isn't any further left than Harold MacMillan and not much further left than Ted Heath.
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 12 Feb 2017, 10:38

Have you seen this? UKIP doctoring a photo of Corbyn and the Stoke Labour candidate?
Love the idea of that massive flag that covers that tiny window and the whole wall!
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 12 Feb 2017, 16:26

K wrote:Have you seen this? UKIP doctoring a photo of Corbyn and the Stoke Labour candidate?
Love the idea of that massive flag that covers that tiny window and the whole wall!

Desperate stuff :lol:

You have to ask what's worse for a politician, being present during the Hillsborough disaster in the Leppings Lane end and never having done a single thing about it or lieing about being there?

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 14 Feb 2017, 16:00

The Ukip leader, Paul Nuttall, is facing more questions about Hillsborough after being forced to admit that claims on his website about losing close friends in the disaster were false.

In an interview with Liverpool’s Radio City News on Tuesday, it was put to him that in 2012 he said on his website that he had “lost close personal friends”. Nuttall denied making the claim.

When the presenter, Dave Easson, who was at Hillsborough on the day of the disaster, showed him the evidence that the claim had been made on his website, Nuttall replied: “I haven’t lost a close, personal friend. I’ve lost someone who I know.”

Nuttall then suggested that he was not responsible for the statement, saying: “I’m sorry about that, but that is something … I haven’t put that out. That is wrong.”
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 24 Feb 2017, 09:33

Well after last night's loss of Copeland I think we can surely agree that right now Corbyn is the Tory party's greatest asset.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Feb 2017, 09:33

How's Copehead coping after Copeland?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Feb 2017, 09:48

They're building a movement, people!!!
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 24 Feb 2017, 09:57

At least they won Stoke. Although a combined UKIP/Con vote was 49%.

The big question is whether UKIP are spent as a force. I was surprised that they didn't get more than 5K votes to be honest. If they don't win a seat between now and the next GE, then you'd have to question whether they ever will.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Feb 2017, 09:59

Toby wrote:At least they won Stoke. Although a combined UKIP/Con vote was 49%.

The big question is whether UKIP are spent as a force. I was surprised that they didn't get more than 5K votes to be honest. If they don't win a seat between now and the next GE, then you'd have to question whether they ever will.

Their reason for being no longer exists - Brexit will, ironically, be the end of UKIP.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 24 Feb 2017, 09:59

Copeland's my UK constituency, you might be interested to know.

There have been two factors at play here - one is the plan to move the maternity ward of West Cumberland Hospital (based in Whitehaven) to Carlisle. This has caused quite a stir, not least because the Labour MP has apparently done fuck-all to stop it. It's the stuff of headlines - a local issue which isn't getting reported beyond the area but which many people are very concerned about. Babies being born in the back of cars 'cos they didn't make it on time, that kind of thing.

And then there's Sellafield, without which, Whitehaven would be a ghost town. Locals might worry about such a potentially hazardous complex being on their doorstep, but they're not daft and they realise its importance as an employer. I mean, everyone works there. And as Corbyn has repeatedly refused to make a stand on nuclear issues, Copeland residents have decided the Labour Party is a liability.

Oh, and there was Jamie Reid a while back, wasn't there? He was the local Labour MP who stood down.

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 24 Feb 2017, 10:22

Larson E. Whipsnade wrote:
And then there's Sellafield, without which, Whitehaven would be a ghost town.

And with which quite large numbers of towns and cities in the North West UK might well become ghost towns, too.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Feb 2017, 10:23

There certainly were local issues in Copeland - even so, this was the first gain by a Governing Party in a by election in 32 years.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 24 Feb 2017, 10:40

fueryIre wrote:
Larson E. Whipsnade wrote:
And then there's Sellafield, without which, Whitehaven would be a ghost town.

And with which quite large numbers of towns and cities in the North West UK might well become ghost towns, too.

Indeed. I was just trying to account for Labour's losses in Copeland.

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 24 Feb 2017, 12:16

Diamond Dog wrote:
Toby wrote:At least they won Stoke. Although a combined UKIP/Con vote was 49%.

Their reason for being no longer exists - Brexit will, ironically, be the end of UKIP.

Alas, Brexit is just going to run and run and run.

Even the incredibly unpopular Enda Kenny here in Ireland is now trying to shore up his rapidly eroding power base by calling for for Northern Ireland to be allowed back into the EU should it ever re-unite with the Republic. (cue Guinness-soaked choruses of "A Nation Once Again" from across the Irish Sea

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 24 Feb 2017, 12:17

Paul Mason on Twitter this morning saying "Against the Brexit delusion only radical left politics can win.".

Yeah ok.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 24 Feb 2017, 12:40

fueryIre wrote:
Alas, Brexit is just going to run and run and run.

Even the incredibly unpopular Enda Kenny here in Ireland is now trying to shore up his rapidly eroding power base by calling for for Northern Ireland to be allowed back into the EU should it ever re-unite with the Republic. (cue Guinness-soaked choruses of "A Nation Once Again" from across the Irish Sea

I am not sure Brexit will run and run at all. This year is going to be pivotal. The Euro is again under strain. There are all sorts of dodgy goings on with the Greek and the Italian debt problems, and the continuing rise of the right to consider. I still think that the party might be over for everyone before Article 50 has even finished being negotiated.
You don't like me...do you?

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 24 Feb 2017, 13:03

Proper little Cassandra, aren't you x
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 24 Feb 2017, 13:06

I think Yompy is right. Certainly, the EU is not in a strong position right now. Greece is the problem that really won't go away at all.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Feb 2017, 14:16

Larson E. Whipsnade wrote:And as Corbyn has repeatedly refused to make a stand on nuclear issues,

I think that's understating his position hugely.
He has been in favour of closing down the UK's nuclear energy programme for decades. I think he only recently (ie this year) and conveniently decided that he was in favour (and thus came into line with Labour policy). I think it's clear the Copeland constituents didn't believe him, And I don't think anyone else does either :lol:

I'm still broadly in agreement with him politically - and despite Goat Boy's scoffing, he has built a mass movement - but as I predicted he would (but fervently hoped he wouldn't) he has become (or always was) a massive liability and should go soonest. He is utterly toothless as a leader of the opposition.