In or out?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Should the UK remain in the European Union?

Yes we should stay in
57
86%
No we should leave
5
8%
Abstain
4
6%
 
Total votes: 66

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11803
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: In or out?

Postby Geezee » 24 Jan 2017, 14:12

Diamond Dog wrote:Okay you've got me - which majority is 7 million, Geezee?


7 million is the answer to everything these days, isn't it?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29775
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: In or out?

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jan 2017, 14:43

It's not as if parliament is going to shoot it down. Brexit is happening but as a parliamentary democracy procedure has to be followed
Copehead wrote:I was helping out the victims of virtue signaling in the Ghettos before this was even an issue in the wider world.

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 44853
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: In or out?

Postby The Prof » 26 Jan 2017, 12:49

Clive Lewis 'threatens rebellion' after Corbyn imposes 3-line whip on article 50 bill

"Jeremy Corbyn will impose a three-line whip on MPs to vote in favour of triggering Article 50 when the bill comes before parliament next week, after a tense shadow cabinet meeting, the Guardian understands.

Shadow cabinet ministers are understood to have opposed the move, with others argue for a free vote on the issue given the difference of opinion in the party. Senior figures warned there may be resignations from the front bench.

One source suggested that shadow business secretary Clive Lewis said he would vote against the bill, and could even campaign against it. It is not clear if he would be able to remain a member of the shadow cabinet, and the Guardian has not managed to contact Lewis since the meeting
"

It never rains but........

I like Clive Lewis and I thought the 3 line whip thing had been debunked as not the truth.

More resignations? Great!

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9523
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: In or out?

Postby Samoan » 26 Jan 2017, 13:07

Corbyn lives in his own bubble. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Corbyn gaffe over injured police officer


25 January 2017 Last updated at 18:35 GMT

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has apologised after he told the House of Commons a police officer injured in a Belfast shooting on Sunday had died.

The officer is in a stable condition in hospital after the attack by a dissident republican group known as the 'new IRA'.

During Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday, the Labour leader passed on the sympathies of "the whole House" for the "police officer who lost his life".


North Belfast MP Nigel Dodds later described Mr Corbyn's gaffe as "one of the worst displays of crass ignorance that could be imagined".

It is understood Mr Corbyn has written a letter to the Chief Constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland to apologise for his error.

A spokesman for the Labour leader said: "He meant to say 'nearly died'", adding that Mr Corbyn "had not intended to cause offence".
Deebank wrote:In the UK every region has its own unique and brilliant variation on the old fermented curd.

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 44853
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: In or out?

Postby The Prof » 26 Jan 2017, 15:35

Image

Deviation!

The topic is about Brexit.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11803
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: In or out?

Postby Geezee » 26 Jan 2017, 17:07

Samoan wrote:
A spokesman for the Labour leader said: "He meant to say 'nearly died'", adding that Mr Corbyn "had not intended to cause offence".[/i]


Why would you offer sympathies to someone who nearly died? "I'm so sorry you are still alive" :?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 5537
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: In or out?

Postby John aka Josh » 26 Jan 2017, 20:42

Samoan wrote:
North Belfast MP Nigel Dodds later described Mr Corbyn's gaffe as "one of the worst displays of crass ignorance that could be imagined".






If that's one of the worst displays of crass ignorance he's got no imagination, knowledge of real life (work in a shop or library to gain real experience of crass ignorance) or indeed heard the news.
Image

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 10866
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: In or out?

Postby Rayge » 26 Jan 2017, 21:52

Geezee wrote:
Samoan wrote:
A spokesman for the Labour leader said: "He meant to say 'nearly died'", adding that Mr Corbyn "had not intended to cause offence".[/i]


Why would you offer sympathies to someone who nearly died? "I'm so sorry you are still alive" :?


An apology isn't the same as sympathy. It means you feel for somebody. Why not have sympathy for someone who was violently assaulted and almost killed doing his public duty? And why would you offer sympathy to someone who was dead? Under those circumstances you offer it family and loved ones.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22535
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: In or out?

Postby Copehead » 27 Jan 2017, 00:28

North Belfast MP Nigel Dodds later described Mr Corbyn's gaffe as "one of the worst displays of crass ignorance that could be imagined".


He hasn't got much imagination then, I suppose he is a religious bigot and right wing extremist, that can't help.

Sending condolences to the family you wrongly heard had died, terrible stuff.

Fake news I suppose so much easier to play the man rather than the ball.

Having said that he is wrong to whip the article 50 vote, that should be left to individual MPs, many represent constituencies that voted firmly to remain.

I'd ignore him and vote with my constituents and that would undermine his tenuous authority in the PLP, they often seem to do what they think is ideologically right rather than what is politically expedient.
Wounds are all I'm made of; Did I hear you say that this is victory?


Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22535
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: In or out?

Postby Copehead » 27 Jan 2017, 07:15

Possibly cartoon of the millennium from Steve Bell after this Gilray:

Image

Image
Last edited by Copehead on 27 Jan 2017, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
Wounds are all I'm made of; Did I hear you say that this is victory?


Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
fire and fueryIre
Posts: 8749
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: Accredited BCB Pain in the Arse

Re: In or out?

Postby fire and fueryIre » 27 Jan 2017, 07:21

Copehead wrote:Possibly cartoon of the millenia from Steve Bell after this Gilray:

Image

Image


I love the way SB has perfectly captured Britain's role in the last 70-odd years of the "Special Relationship" by subtly changing TM's position from that of the woman in Gilray's original
Image

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9523
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: In or out?

Postby Samoan » 27 Jan 2017, 07:32

Copehead wrote:
North Belfast MP Nigel Dodds later described Mr Corbyn's gaffe as "one of the worst displays of crass ignorance that could be imagined".


He hasn't got much imagination then, I suppose he is a religious bigot and right wing extremist, that can't help.

Sending condolences to the family you wrongly heard had died, terrible stuff.

Fake news I suppose so much easier to play the man rather than the ball.

Having said that he is wrong to whip the article 50 vote, that should be left to individual MPs, many represent constituencies that voted firmly to remain.

I'd ignore him and vote with my constituents and that would undermine his tenuous authority in the PLP, they often seem to do what they think is ideologically right rather than what is politically expedient.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/25/jeremy-corbyn-criticised-for-northern-ireland-dead-police-officer-gaffe-pmqs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38738481
Deebank wrote:In the UK every region has its own unique and brilliant variation on the old fermented curd.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11803
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: In or out?

Postby Geezee » 27 Jan 2017, 08:00

Rayge wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Samoan wrote:
A spokesman for the Labour leader said: "He meant to say 'nearly died'", adding that Mr Corbyn "had not intended to cause offence".[/i]


Why would you offer sympathies to someone who nearly died? "I'm so sorry you are still alive" :?


An apology isn't the same as sympathy. It means you feel for somebody. Why not have sympathy for someone who was violently assaulted and almost killed doing his public duty? And why would you offer sympathy to someone who was dead? Under those circumstances you offer it family and loved ones.


It was a joke - but I would also say 90% of the time when a politician is expressing their sympathies it is when people have died. If it is about people who are injured, the standard phrasing is "my thoughts (or prayers - likely not relevant in this case) are with them".
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 10866
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: In or out?

Postby Rayge » 27 Jan 2017, 09:41

Geezee wrote:It was a joke


Sorry :oops:
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22402
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: In or out?

Postby Deebank » 27 Jan 2017, 15:28

He is apparently France's version of Tony Blair, but he does have a point:

“Britain lived in an equilibrium with Europe,” Emmanuel Macron told France Culture radio. “But now it is becoming a vassal state, meaning it is becoming the junior partner of the United States.”
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 34358
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: In or out?

Postby yomptepi » 27 Jan 2017, 16:35

Deebank wrote:He is apparently France's version of Tony Blair, but he does have a point:

“Britain lived in an equilibrium with Europe,” Emmanuel Macron told France Culture radio. “But now it is becoming a vassal state, meaning it is becoming the junior partner of the United States.”


A little early on for that kind of shit isn't it?

Why should we behave in an adult manner , if the europeans are going to be such petulant children.

Absolutely pathetic.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22402
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: In or out?

Postby Deebank » 27 Jan 2017, 17:59

yomptepi wrote:
Deebank wrote:He is apparently France's version of Tony Blair, but he does have a point:

“Britain lived in an equilibrium with Europe,” Emmanuel Macron told France Culture radio. “But now it is becoming a vassal state, meaning it is becoming the junior partner of the United States.”


A little early on for that kind of shit isn't it?

Why should we behave in an adult manner , if the europeans are going to be such petulant children.

Absolutely pathetic.


I think he has a point. Your Mrs May is bending over and dropping her Y-fronts even as we speak!
I mean Jesus fucking Christ... "Opposites attract"
I feel physically sick.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Moleskin
Posts: 13966
Joined: 18 Feb 2004, 12:38
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: In or out?

Postby Moleskin » 28 Jan 2017, 13:20

He has more than a point - in fact he has the tense wrong. Britain is not 'becoming', Britain has been little more than a vassal state since at least Mr Eden's premiership. Every UK PM genuflects toward the American president. Mrs May is just the latest in a long line of PMs who will 'be with you whatever'.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 10866
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: In or out?

Postby Rayge » 28 Jan 2017, 13:28

Moleskin wrote:He has more than a point - in fact he has the tense wrong. Britain is not 'becoming', Britain has been little more than a vassal state since at least Mr Eden's premiership. Every UK PM genuflects toward the American president. Mrs May is just the latest in a long line of PMs who will 'be with you whatever'.


While I accept the general point, and push it back to the imposition of the Marshall Plan, tbf, Wilson, and indeed Heath, did not allow us to get drawn into the Vitenam War.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 6628
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: In or out?

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 28 Jan 2017, 16:48

[img]pbs.twimg.com/media/C3LQVVgW8AAj_jl.jpg[/img]

So there are more members of UKIP who think torture should be allowed than think it works.

Well done.
EDIT: Ah, can't link to image so
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=229200272
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!