gender-free bathrooms

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

?!?!?!?!?

ABSOLUTELY fair! and let's see more of it!
48%
I really don't know
11%
FUCK OFF
41%

Total votes: 27

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

gender-free bathrooms

Postby naughty boy » 29 Mar 2016, 14:39

Last fall, the oldest building here on the Cooper Union campus underwent a sudden renovation. A group of students, agitating for their transgender classmates, stripped the words “men” and “women” off the doors of the Foundation Building’s restrooms.

The act expressed years of pent-up frustration that here in lower Manhattan, at one of the most liberal colleges in the country, students who failed to conform to gender norms nevertheless risked harassment whenever they went to the bathroom.

But then, the unexpected happened. The signs were never replaced. And in an apparent first for a US college, the Cooper Union administration this month moved to remove the gender designations from all the bathrooms on campus by taking down the rest of the men’s and women’s signage from bathrooms.

To the students involved, it was victory.

“A public facility shouldn’t have to ask if you’re a man or a woman,” said Rio Sofia, one of the students who put pressure on the administration. “It should just ask, do you need to pee or poop?”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/m ... e-new-york

Fair?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: gender-free bathrooms

Postby Count Machuki » 29 Mar 2016, 14:41

I'm all for it. It's just this week dawned on me that I have no idea what to do when I'm out with my daughter (once she's actually using the toilet).

Take her in the men's room, I guess? Bit awkward.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Mar 2016, 14:42

No, it should have been voted on by the uni's students.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 29 Mar 2016, 14:47

My one at home is gender neutral.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 29 Mar 2016, 14:48

Count Machuki wrote:I'm all for it. It's just this week dawned on me that I have no idea what to do when I'm out with my daughter (once she's actually using the toilet).

You take her to a cubicle in the men's room. Lots of fathers do it.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Mar 2016, 14:56

I dunno, I think are issues regarding giving access to transgender people to areas that are gender specific for various reasons. I’m not saying toilets are such areas but then I wouldn’t feel comfortable myself sharing a room with a women to be honest when I’m dropping a load. It’s bad enough letting rip when there are men about and I would personally feel self-conscious if there was women present. As silly as that may sound but there you go. I'm not sure if these sorta things are 'fair' always but hey, fight the power. Or something.

I’m all for equal rights but I don’t think we can apply that principle in every situation.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 29 Mar 2016, 14:59

Sender wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:I'm all for it. It's just this week dawned on me that I have no idea what to do when I'm out with my daughter (once she's actually using the toilet).

Yep.

Goat Boy wrote:I dunno, I think are issues regarding giving access to transgender people to areas that are gender specific for various reasons. I’m not saying toilets are such areas but then I wouldn’t feel comfortable myself sharing a room with a women to be honest when I’m dropping a load. It’s bad enough letting rip when there are men about and I would personally feel self-conscious if there was women present. As silly as that may sound but there you go. I'm not sure if these sorta things are 'fair' always but hey, fight the power. Or something.

I’m all for equal rights but I don’t think we can apply that principle in every situation.

I could be wrong, but I think for the most part the issue concerns "single-unit" bathrooms rather than multi-stall ones. I don't think anyone's advocating the scenario you describe.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 29 Mar 2016, 15:03

Men pee with their penises facing the urinal so no modesty issue there. And all of us shit in a locked cubicle.
Last edited by Jimbo on 29 Mar 2016, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Question authority.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Mar 2016, 15:04

I still don't feel comfortable dropping a load with a lass in the next cubicle! I know that's silly but there you go. Imagine if she was hot and you exited at the same time? How awful!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Betty Denim

Postby Betty Denim » 29 Mar 2016, 15:06

But there'd be men in a mixed one too.

There's a huge minefield about everything these days.

And is the transgender thing self defined/policed? Can any bloke go in a women's toilet now and say they're a woman, for instance?

As usual, women get the shitty end of the stick. Fuck our safety/modesty, for the sake of people who have to make a fuss about where they want to have a piss.
mission wrote:gravity's greedy fingerfucking

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Mar 2016, 15:11

Betty Denim wrote:

And is the transgender thing self defined/policed? Can any bloke go in a women's toilet now and say they're a woman, for instance?

As usual, women get the shitty end of the stick. Fuck our safety/modesty, for the sake of people who have to make a fuss about where they want to have a piss.

Transphobic!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 29 Mar 2016, 15:14

Betty Denim wrote:

I think the answer to the first question is yes. And as far as I'm concerned, this is the key issue.

I have to say that I'm interested, rather than annoyed by this. It's a change I found initially ridiculous, but now I see it sort of makes sense - at least to some people. But how far should we cater to what is, in fact, a very small minority?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 29 Mar 2016, 15:21

Goat Boy wrote:I dunno, I think are issues regarding giving access to transgender people to areas that are gender specific for various reasons. I’m not saying toilets are such areas but then I wouldn’t feel comfortable myself sharing a room with a women to be honest when I’m dropping a load. It’s bad enough letting rip when there are men about and I would personally feel self-conscious if there was women present. As silly as that may sound but there you go. I'm not sure if these sorta things are 'fair' always but hey, fight the power. Or something.

I was once at a gig where the audience of about 400 included maybe three or four men - maybe not even that many.

Of course the women realised that they may as well use the cubicles in the men's toilet too, and the queue for both bathrooms was fairly long. However i was busting for a pee, so asked the women in the queue if any women were using the urinals (I wasn't sure how this would be managed, so expected a "no" answer but I was being courteous). Of course men pee facing the urinal, so there was no exposure issue here, and actually the room was qquite large so I was 20 feet or more from where the women were waiting to use the cubicles. I did get a number of ribald but friendly comments, and one person said "I hope you aren't too nervous to go in front of all these women!" One of her friends immediately responded "well you can hear that he isn't!" to general hilarity.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 29 Mar 2016, 15:23

Snarfyguy wrote:
Sender wrote:

Yep.

That's what I thought. Thanks, guys.
:oops:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 29 Mar 2016, 15:26

Sender wrote:

I was once at a gig where the audience of about 400 included maybe three or four men - maybe not even that many.

Indigo Girls fan, huh?

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 29 Mar 2016, 15:28

Count Machuki wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
Sender wrote:

Yep.

That's what I thought. Thanks, guys.
:oops:

If you are in somewhere busy like an airport or train station or a shopping mall, you will notice it happens more or less all the time (and the same with mums taking small boys to the women's room).

If anything it gets slightly trickier when they are mature enough to go on their own, so aged five or so. Because you still sort of have to keep an eye out (well, I have a son, so he's going to the men's room).

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 29 Mar 2016, 15:29

Count Machuki wrote:
Sender wrote:

Indigo Girls fan, huh?

Well this was the Emma Peel Fan Club.

quix

Postby quix » 29 Mar 2016, 21:10

I HATE them!!!! I'd rather queue for hours for a loo than share them with men. I don't feel safe and I like to look at myself in the mirror and do my makeup or hair if I want to without men around. If a transgender woman wants to use the women's loos (pre or post or no op) I'm fine with that. But no men!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Mar 2016, 21:13

Sexist!, probably a member of the She-Ra, men haters club.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Betty Denim

Postby Betty Denim » 30 Mar 2016, 09:43

Goat Boy wrote:
Betty Denim wrote:

Transphobic!

Not particularly.

But I am interested in the feminist discussions around trans issues.
mission wrote:gravity's greedy fingerfucking

Return to “Nextdoorland”