Intra-continental cuisine champ: Europe

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Which European country/region/culture has the best food?

France
5%
Spain/Portugal
5%
UK
10%
Russia
No votes
Baltics
5%
Italy
52%
Germany
No votes
Scandinavia
No votes
Other
24%

Total votes: 21

WG Kaspar

Re: Intra-continental cuisine champ: Europe

Postby WG Kaspar » 15 Jan 2016, 22:03

Jimbo wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:It's Greek obviously. I may be a bit biased but I'm sticking with it.

You guys stole everything from the Minoans.

We stole everything from everyone and passed it on as our own. Genius really.
I run out of talent

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 15 Jan 2016, 22:15

sloopjohnc wrote:
Copehead wrote:It is hard to get British cuisine right.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You said a mouthful there, but I think I take it differently than you mean it to be taken.

I just mean it takes time and effort, and those are things that most run of the mill eating houses are not prepared to spend.

There is little better than roast stuffed lambs hearts or a steak and kidney pudding, but both require a decent cook with time on their hands to prepare properly.

Liver is lovely if cooked properly but pretty unappetising if cooked poorly, you could properly make the same case for most peasant cuisines.

In Italy they seem to be prepared to spend that time and effort, even more so than in France in my recent experience.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Jan 2016, 22:56

Copehead wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Copehead wrote:It is hard to get British cuisine right.

You said a mouthful there, but I think I take it differently than you mean it to be taken.

I just mean it takes time and effort, and those are things that most run of the mill eating houses are not prepared to spend.

I know what you meant.

And I realize it does take a lot of time to boil all the taste out of each vegetable in a pot.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jan 2016, 01:20

sloopjohnc wrote: And I realize it does take a lot of time to boil all the taste out of each vegetable in a pot.

Dude, the ale pie I had in a pub hanging about with the slider and the bear was one of the most delicious and memorable dishes I ever had. First of all, it was big. And then it was beautiful, a crunchy golden brown pie crust bladder wrapping up a gooey and succulent beef stew. Remember those frozen Mrs. Smith's pot pies we ate when we were in college because they cost like four for a dollar and took ages to cook and another age to cool off? Like that but this came to the table in less than 50 minutes and was edible pretty soon after as well. Breaking the crust into the stew and spooning it down, man that was good eatin'!

You Brits, however, can keep your kippers. Yuck.
Question authority.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 16 Jan 2016, 11:04

sloopjohnc wrote:
Copehead wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

I know what you meant.

And I realize it does take a lot of time to boil all the taste out of each vegetable in a pot.

When you were over here did you only eat in old folks' homes?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Jan 2016, 14:21

So it seems.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Xeopac

Postby Xeopac » 20 Jan 2016, 10:15

This is almost too difficult to vote on. The best meals I've ever had are French, the best home cooking general food I've ever had is probably Italian, I'm very pro-UK when it comes to tradition and comfort and Spanish meals are some of the most memorable I've ever eaten.

It's a four-way tie.
Out Of The Frying Pan

Copehead wrote:Morrissey...is a meal at La Manoir au Quat Saison.

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 20 Jan 2016, 14:03

I love French food. It's been a big influence on restaurants everywhere (and on a lot of UK home cooking, through celebrity chefs who learned in restaurants or through Elizabeth David) but there's an awful lot of awful cooking in France. I lived in Italy for a while and the food was amazing, simplicity elevated to great heights, but the fanatical regionalism can get wearisome and repetitive. I've lived in Catalonia for nearly 2 decades and its superb traditional food (which we'll call Spanish for the sake of this poll) has formed the foundation for some of the best fine dining restaurants that exist. And British food is, sometimes, an eclectic delight.

So, like Xeopac, I can't choose.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 22 Jan 2016, 01:37

John aka Josh wrote:Is South American food any good? The home of chillis, tomatoes, maize and chocolate after all. Don't believe I've had any food cooked to recipes south of Mexico.

I'm far from an expert, but I can say that there's quite a broad range of cooking styles in S.A. Much of it has evolved from a merger of Spanish cooking and assorted indigenous ingredients. And some of the best red wines you'll ever drink, at least dollar for dollar, are from Argentina and Chile.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Six String

Postby Six String » 22 Jan 2016, 06:19

I ate really well in Scotland, particularly on Islay. That place we stayed at which was across the street from Bowmore made amazing food every day. Breakfast as you know was OTT. It kept is fortified for the walks.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 22 Jan 2016, 22:26

Nolamike wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:Is South American food any good? The home of chillis, tomatoes, maize and chocolate after all. Don't believe I've had any food cooked to recipes south of Mexico.

I'm far from an expert, but I can say that there's quite a broad range of cooking styles in S.A. Much of it has evolved from a merger of Spanish cooking and assorted indigenous ingredients. And some of the best red wines you'll ever drink, at least dollar for dollar, are from Argentina and Chile.

Thanks.

Agree about the wine from Chile, not tried many Argentine wines yet.

Return to “Nextdoorland”