about ten years ago
18%
it was NEVER great!
18%

Total votes: 39

sloopjohnc

Re: when was BCB last great?

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2015, 19:09

Footy wrote:It took me ages to embrace Facebook. Even though I use it regularly now, I never get the pleasure from it that I used to get from BCB in the "good old days".

Many of my favourite BCB contributors moved to FB seemingly instead of here rather than as well as here. Moreover, a mentality seemed to develop amongst them that was somewhat anti BCB and I still sense that sometimes in different FB conversations. Certain remarks made are only partly in jest.

Facebook is an entirely different forum for me than BCB. I use Facebook to connect with older friends, not so close friends, but friends nonetheless, co-workers, etc., etc. I am much more restrained on Facebook than I ever would be on here, partly because it's so public.

The one thing it has replaced BCB in is the Now Playing section because there were only three or four people posting and there's more in Facebook.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 Dec 2015, 19:17

Thang wrote:Meanwhile, the new and interesting love-in continues under your noses.

:) I knew about that months ago.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Cosmic Thang

Postby Cosmic Thang » 11 Dec 2015, 19:25

Samoan wrote:
Thang wrote:Meanwhile, the new and interesting love-in continues under your noses.

That's impressive. We didn't.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 11 Dec 2015, 19:30

it's still great. The Great Gatsby and the Great Gazoo are both great.
it's just different. just as many people are overbearing and opinionated but the bug up our collective asses is, generally speaking, a more relaxed creature.
I don't think 5 people read a word I post then or now so it's been pretty consistent for me.
uggy poopy doody.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 11 Dec 2015, 19:36

Thang wrote:
Samoan wrote:

That's impressive. We didn't.

I still don't.
But...congratulations?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Cosmic Thang

Postby Cosmic Thang » 11 Dec 2015, 19:40

A love-in is a hippy happening, I was trying the vernacular.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 11 Dec 2015, 19:41

Thang wrote:A love-in is a hippy happening, I was trying the vernacular.

Like, far out, maan.

I love BCB, but I miss a lot of posters.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 11 Dec 2015, 20:06

sloopjohnc wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote:"Greatness" left with Nancy.

Where''s your buddy, JSJ these days?

There must be a connection!
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 11 Dec 2015, 20:13

It went down the drain after GM was tarred and feathered!
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2015, 20:49

ConnyOlivetti wrote:It went down the drain after GM was tarred and feathered!

Really? I think it was dying a slow death before Coan's campaigns against Yellowjacket and Googamooga.

I get that they were inane and repetitive, but Christ, Coan's a teacher. He has to live that shit at work day-to-day, I'm sure. Why Googs would set him off, I'll never know.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 11 Dec 2015, 20:51

Count Machuki wrote:

Like, far out, maan.

So do I, but I miss a lot of things from my past. This place may have been more "exciting" in the past because of the novelty of it all - a bunch of "older" people (i.e. older than teens/early 20's) who grew up listening to '60s/'70s music, finding other like-minded souls on a forum where we could all discuss the things we couldn't discuss with the people in our regular lives, eventually moving past the online stage and meeting in person - first in London during the Mojo days, then in LA and a few other cities (I don't remember the exact sequence) - then finally turning into a global thing, where people would fly around the world to meet each other, often putting visitors up in their homes. The implicit trust involved was never breached (no one ever claimed that possessions went missing after a BCB'er stayed at their homes), as far as I'm aware. Myself, I know that I could never have spent an entire week in the UK and spent $400 (plus airfare) without the invaluable help of BCB'ers Slider, Smamfy and Jumper K. LA has hosted BCB'ers from all (or most) corners of the world, and they know they're always welcome back. As for those who still haven't made their way here, know that the door is always open for you as well. And of course, the San Francisco JU of 2010 still remains one of the best times I've ever had in my life, and I know the others who attended feel the same. That weekend was pure magic. "No, they can't take that away from me!"

So now it's 2015, a lot of regular members have moved on, while several remain. We've gone over most of the same things musically, and NDL feels more like a coffee klatch - we come here out of habit because it's comfortable. Kind of the way I used to meet up with people at my local dog park, with the revolving group of 50 or so people whom I could count on seeing at least four or five times per week. As with BCB, there were maybe a dozen people there who formed a friendship outside the dog park and visited in each others' homes. This went on for ten years beginning in the mid-''90s, and as time moved on, all of us eventually lost touch, but the memories remain. I miss those days too, but it was fun while it lasted, and no one expected it to last anyway. Once in a while I hear from one of them, or drop a line to someone, and the connection is still there.

That said, I appreciate the input of the folks who have joined us in the last few years, and I hope they don't feel insulted whenever the subject comes up about "how much better it used to be" - what are these people, chopped liver? At least they're here. I even got a kick out of Googa and the way he could rile people up. If he was genuine, he was a real character, and if he was just an alias, he was pure genius. "Andy Williams, The Emperor Of Easy" - :lol: !

Of course this place isn't going to stay at the same level after 12 years. Even if it's not as "exciting" as it once was, it's still comfortable. Nothing wrong with that. We're all getting older, even more than we were when we first got here, and a little comfort goes a long way in helping get through the day. Anyone who wants what they used to get out of this place has the rest of the internet to find it. If this place serves a different purpose, then it's probably what we need anyway. As Irene Dunne said to Cary Grant in The Awful Truth: "Things are just the same as they always were, only... you're the same as you were too, so... I guess things will never be the same again."

"Quite."

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Dec 2015, 20:55

"Greatness" coincided with either long posts about music or, even more so, threads that had lots of great creative funny stuff in them by multiple posters (Lianne ITV, Horse, buses of Malta, etc.).

I'm perfectly willing to contribute more of the former, though I expect in response either "The Beatles/Who/Stones have been done to death" or "The prog goons have taken over", or if I post on some topic other than those, then only three responses!

The latter is impossible to predict, and mostly happens when just the right mix of people show up on a given day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 11 Dec 2015, 21:14

zoomboogity wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

Like, far out, maan.

So do I, but I miss a lot of things from my past. This place may have been more "exciting" in the past because of the novelty of it all - a bunch of "older" people (i.e. older than teens/early 20's) who grew up listening to '60s/'70s music, finding other like-minded souls on a forum where we could all discuss the things we couldn't discuss with the people in our regular lives, eventually moving past the online stage and meeting in person - first in London during the Mojo days, then in LA and a few other cities (I don't remember the exact sequence) - then finally turning into a global thing, where people would fly around the world to meet each other, often putting visitors up in their homes. The implicit trust involved was never breached (no one ever claimed that possessions went missing after a BCB'er stayed at their homes), as far as I'm aware. Myself, I know that I could never have spent an entire week in the UK and spent $400 (plus airfare) without the invaluable help of BCB'ers Slider, Smamfy and Jumper K. LA has hosted BCB'ers from all (or most) corners of the world, and they know they're always welcome back. As for those who still haven't made their way here, know that the door is always open for you as well. And of course, the San Francisco JU of 2010 still remains one of the best times I've ever had in my life, and I know the others who attended feel the same. That weekend was pure magic. "No, they can't take that away from me!"

So now it's 2015, a lot of regular members have moved on, while several remain. We've gone over most of the same things musically, and NDL feels more like a coffee klatch - we come here out of habit because it's comfortable. Kind of the way I used to meet up with people at my local dog park, with the revolving group of 50 or so people whom I could count on seeing at least four or five times per week. As with BCB, there were maybe a dozen people there who formed a friendship outside the dog park and visited in each others' homes. This went on for ten years beginning in the mid-''90s, and as time moved on, all of us eventually lost touch, but the memories remain. I miss those days too, but it was fun while it lasted, and no one expected it to last anyway. Once in a while I hear from one of them, or drop a line to someone, and the connection is still there.

That said, I appreciate the input of the folks who have joined us in the last few years, and I hope they don't feel insulted whenever the subject comes up about "how much better it used to be" - what are these people, chopped liver? At least they're here. I even got a kick out of Googa and the way he could rile people up. If he was genuine, he was a real character, and if he was just an alias, he was pure genius. "Andy Williams, The Emperor Of Easy" - :lol: !

Of course this place isn't going to stay at the same level after 12 years. Even if it's not as "exciting" as it once was, it's still comfortable. Nothing wrong with that. We're all getting older, even more than we were when we first got here, and a little comfort goes a long way in helping get through the day. Anyone who wants what they used to get out of this place has the rest of the internet to find it. If this place serves a different purpose, then it's probably what we need anyway. As Irene Dunne said to Cary Grant in The Awful Truth: "Things are just the same as they always were, only... you're the same as you were too, so... I guess things will never be the same again."

Wonderful post especially about how this place is "comfortable." But I wonder how come Kenji and Goldwax don't post here anymore. They were guys I'd met and seemed as BCB as I am and yet not a peep from them in years. They behave as if they'd been insulted. Were they? Kenji's now gigging posts were as helpful and interesting as any professional critics and Goldwax's knowledge of NZ rock was eye, ear and mind opening. Without them I am left wondering what we did wrong since in many ways BCB hasn't changed.
Question authority.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 Dec 2015, 21:17

As eloquent as zoom has written here, that's what Coan wants to see on YY. Fair enough but given the lives we all lead it is far less likely that threads will lead to a general renaissance of this board. I do like Dawnofthedeadheads, Darkness Fish and Thang's contributions and hope there will be a few more but let's face it, as much as we go on about it, it won't ever be the same.

I am in favour of renaming NDL to Coffee Klatsch though.....
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 11 Dec 2015, 22:19

Very well put, Zoomie.

We need a 'like' button. :P
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 11 Dec 2015, 22:32

zoomboogity wrote:
The implicit trust involved was never breached (no one ever claimed that possessions went missing after a BCB'er stayed at their homes), as far as I'm aware.

Brotherlouie stayed at mine once and stole all the oxygen in the room with his incessant wittering.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 12 Dec 2015, 00:57

On a good day it's as good as it's ever been
On a bad one it's as bad

There are fewer good days now, but they still happen.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Dec 2015, 02:52

This thread was worth it just for zoombigity's posts!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Dec 2015, 03:56

zoomboogity wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

Like, far out, maan.

Excellent post Zoom and you really hit the nail on the head for me. It really was about the excitement of being able to communicate with many people in real time all over the world that had the same interests. As we all know, people who listen to music, I mean really listen to music are usually interested in other arts, fine or otherwise and they are usually interesting people. At least that is my take. If I'm in a strange town, I'll go to the local record shop and ask someone there what's happening in town. Those people will usually do a good job of setting you straight regarding food, bars, music events of course.
This place was like a record store with the cool and the obnoxious. As my wife has been telling me since day one that nothing lasts forever. Everything has a life span. Some day this place too shall be but a memory for everyone. It's just the way it is.
Enjoy what you have while you have it because it isn't going to last.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Dec 2015, 04:00

You know what? Fuck this maudlin shit - let's PARTY!

Make hay while the sun shines, and all that. (This one's for you, Googs!)

"Quite."

Return to “Nextdoorland”