A great deal - it's a massive part of my life
13%
A lot - I have some great friends on here
21%
Yes, but with reservations
33%
I like it, but I'm very close to leaving if there are any more bustups
3%
I'm not that fussed - I stay out of a strange sense of loyalty because I'm a part of the furniture
16%
I'm on the verge of leaving
4%
I'm going to report you all to the internet police tomorrow
1%
I HATE everyone here
7%

Total votes: 67

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Do you care about BCB?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Jan 2018, 19:14

Belle Lettre wrote:Oh my Jesus!

And people wonder why I drink.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Jan 2018, 19:53

After Pete's post about his mom, and Davey's too, it's nice to have a place to journal feelings, yet still get a response from people you know online and seem to care, otherwise it's just going into the ether. I still post a lot and BCB doesn't mean what it used to mean to me. If Jethro shut it down tomorrow, I might miss it for a few days, but I'd go on. I know I'd feel like something was missing, but most of my really good friends are in the outside world. And I have a daughter and 15 year-old son who's not going to hang out with me for much longer, so that's where my loyalties lie.

I appreciate that some folks are best friends and have gotten married on the place, so I get the allegiance, but most, not all, of my good friends on here are gone. I had a nice conversation with Tony (King Feeb) recently, and while I couldn't hook up with him while in Denver, I consider him and Cosmic American Girl some of the better friends on here and I know they feel the same. But Spen (Molony Joy), Rob (Clippernolan), John (Kid P) and Graham (Django) haven't been on here for quite awhile. I email and message them in other ways.

There are some folks on here I'd try to keep in touch with like above, like I do when they decide to leave BCB, and I might wonder what so-and-so is doing these days, but it wouldn't go much further than that. But that may be a lie. Last week, I decided I was going to take off and messaged Markus with my emails in case he wanted to stay in touch. I do that a lot these days. I'm very conflicted about the place.

I've gone to Jolly Ups if it's with people I might like to meet and know better, but I think most people who've met me at one, will find out that talking about which Led Zeppelin songs were recorded at Headley Grange or wherever for Houses of the Holy but didn't make the cut and were put on Physical Graffiti, doesn't interest me much. Or for very long. I'd rather get to talk about more personal stuff - where you're living, how your kids are doing, etc. I want to find out about you. Also, unless I've been driven to Jolly Ups or have to give someone a ride, I don't tend to stay very long. Even the JU of the Americas in San Francisco, my home turf, I picked my spots very selectively.

I've noticed through the years that I differ from BCB that way. Lots of folks have encyclopedic knowledge on artist, but my interests are 10 miles wide and about 1/4" thick. More detailed info interests me in a trivial way, but I don't tuck it away for later use or to use in Yakety Yak as ammunition. All the recycled posts in Yakety Yak were interesting, but part of me felt like, "Really - we gotta talk about the same ol' shit again?"

And compared to when BCB started, there are other online places to go and discuss politics and sports. I have as much interest in those topics as I do music. Don't get me wrong - I love music, love listening to it and I like playing it, but BCB isn't the be all or end all for that either - I spend more time in guitar playing, reggae or powerpop sites to talk about music I like. It does lend itself to good conversation with smart people, but because of the lack of people spending much time on here, it can be hours or a day or two before you get a response.

Work is pretty boring for me these days and it's a place to hang out, but its more like the corner bar for me these days where not as many people hang out. I'm just waiting to drive up and see the "Out of Business" sign on the front door any day now.

I actually put this post in drafts to reread later because I didn't want my mood at the time to influence whether to post it. Rereading it, I'd say it does reflect my current attitude about the place.

Don't think I don't like the place, heck I'M THE SECOND LEADING POSTER on here, but I guess I'm just being pragmatic. I tend to retreat a little when I think something meaningful to me looks like it's going away or disappearing.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 20 Jan 2018, 20:15

I care a lot more than my frequency of posting might suggest. Things have got quieter as people get older and fade away, but I think if we can hang on for another 10 years maybe we'll get an influx from a younger generation with a new-found interest in the stuff we are interested in. You never know!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Jan 2018, 20:32

Just got text from Feeb - sending me 15 discs of his music. Maybe I can hear it all before I die.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 20 Jan 2018, 20:49

sloopjohnc wrote:Just got text from Feeb - sending me 15 discs of his music. Maybe I can hear it all before I die.

Look in the bright side it might be 15 cd singles.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 20 Jan 2018, 20:59

Jumper K wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Just got text from Feeb - sending me 15 discs of his music. Maybe I can hear it all before I die.

Look in the bright side it might be 15 cd singles.

:lol:
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Jan 2018, 21:06

sloopjohnc wrote:
I've gone to Jolly Ups if it's with people I might like to meet and know better, but I think most people who've met me at one, will find out that talking about which Led Zeppelin songs were recorded at Headley Grange or wherever for Houses of the Holy but didn't make the cut and were put on Physical Graffiti, doesn't interest me much. Or for very long.

I find myself pretty much the same about the ERA of every Giants pitcher since the turn of the (last) century, or the rebound % of every point guard to have played for the Golden State Warriors since 1950, but each to their own hey Sloop? :lol:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Jan 2018, 01:19

The Great Defector wrote:Whoever it is, get crisps. Not cheese and fucking onion.

But, but cheese and onion are the best flavour.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 21 Jan 2018, 01:56

Not sure where I stand since I am hardly ever mentioned as a BCB pal or even a quirky BCB character, especially since I do post a lot. Maybe many of you have me on ignore. It would be encouraging if someone said something like, I like you all, even whacky Jimbo. I do post infrequently at some alternative/conspiracy sites but if you think I'm out there with my views where usually the main writer's text interestingly reveals government secrets and/or media omissions but in the comments, well, I'm not ready to blame the JFK assassination on the Jews just yet. But one thing that keeps me coming here is I like to argue, to debate. You are good foils, nice clean blank NYT/Guardian reading slates for me to post what I have learned from the alternative sites like OffGuardian and Consortium News. I'm on a we never went to the moon video tear these days - and it looks like we didn't. Anybody want to argue that?

But I also love music but I just don't have the knack for writing well about it. But I do love reading what you have to say. I would like for the Now Gigging to be stuck to the top because that is where I like to post my reviews and it is a good guide to know if a show is worthwhile when it comes to your town. At shows I actually spend more mental energy thinking about what I will say here than shutting down my mind to enjoy the music. And that's because I care about BCB.
Question authority.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 21 Jan 2018, 05:33

I like you Jimbo, frustrating as you are.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 Jan 2018, 06:32

I think I said on a previous thread that, no matter how frustrated or annoyed I might get with people here at times, I pretty much like everybody. I can't think of anyone posting on the board currently that I wouldn't be happy to sit down for a drink with.

(There's somebody who USED to post regularly that I actually took a personal dislike to, but he's long gone.)

And as others have said, when it comes to serious stuff - the depression thread and the Births, Marriages and Deaths section provide good evidence for this - we are there for each other when it really counts.

So yeah, I care about BCB - 'cause I care about the people involved with it.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 21 Jan 2018, 15:57

If it is judged by how often you check in rather than how frequently you post, I still clearly care a great deal, it's just that how much I have to contribute has diminished massively.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 21 Jan 2018, 17:11

Nikki Gradual wrote:If it is judged by how often you check in rather than how frequently you post, I still clearly care a great deal, it's just that how much I have to contribute has diminished massively.

Exactly this.
In some ways Im happy that the traffic has slowed, as in the early days it was as much as I could do to keep up with the wealth of great information that passed through this place.I would be immensley frustrated, and probably divorced if that had been maintained.
Bless the weather.......Image

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 21 Jan 2018, 19:59

sloopjohnc wrote: I decided I was going to take off and messaged Markus with my emails in case he wanted to stay in touch. I do that a lot these days. I'm very conflicted about the place.

He still has an AOL e mail address :lol:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Jan 2018, 21:08

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
I've gone to Jolly Ups if it's with people I might like to meet and know better, but I think most people who've met me at one, will find out that talking about which Led Zeppelin songs were recorded at Headley Grange or wherever for Houses of the Holy but didn't make the cut and were put on Physical Graffiti, doesn't interest me much. Or for very long.

I find myself pretty much the same about the ERA of every Giants pitcher since the turn of the (last) century, or the rebound % of every point guard to have played for the Golden State Warriors since 1950, but each to their own hey Sloop? :lol:

Touche.

Did I ever write about the time Steph Curry had back-to-back 40 point games with 10 assists. . .?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Jan 2018, 21:09

The Great Defector wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote: I decided I was going to take off and messaged Markus with my emails in case he wanted to stay in touch. I do that a lot these days. I'm very conflicted about the place.

He still has an AOL e mail address :lol:

Fuck off! No I don't.

OGmail.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jan 2018, 21:14

sloopjohnc wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Touche.

Did I ever write about the time Steph Curry had back-to-back 40 point games with 10 assists. . .?

You did. Twice.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Jan 2018, 22:37

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Touche.

You did. Twice.

I haven't written about patty melts or onion rings in years.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Jan 2018, 00:06

sloopjohnc wrote:After Pete's post about his mom, and Davey's too, it's nice to have a place to journal feelings, yet still get a response from people you know online and seem to care, otherwise it's just going into the ether. I still post a lot and BCB doesn't mean what it used to mean to me. If Jethro shut it down tomorrow, I might miss it for a few days, but I'd go on. I know I'd feel like something was missing, but most of my really good friends are in the outside world. And I have a daughter and 15 year-old son who's not going to hang out with me for much longer, so that's where my loyalties lie.

I appreciate that some folks are best friends and have gotten married on the place, so I get the allegiance, but most, not all, of my good friends on here are gone. I had a nice conversation with Tony (King Feeb) recently, and while I couldn't hook up with him while in Denver, I consider him and Cosmic American Girl some of the better friends on here and I know they feel the same. But Spen (Molony Joy), Rob (Clippernolan), John (Kid P) and Graham (Django) haven't been on here for quite awhile. I email and message them in other ways.

There are some folks on here I'd try to keep in touch with like above, like I do when they decide to leave BCB, and I might wonder what so-and-so is doing these days, but it wouldn't go much further than that. But that may be a lie. Last week, I decided I was going to take off and messaged Markus with my emails in case he wanted to stay in touch. I do that a lot these days. I'm very conflicted about the place.

I've gone to Jolly Ups if it's with people I might like to meet and know better, but I think most people who've met me at one, will find out that talking about which Led Zeppelin songs were recorded at Headley Grange or wherever for Houses of the Holy but didn't make the cut and were put on Physical Graffiti, doesn't interest me much. Or for very long. I'd rather get to talk about more personal stuff - where you're living, how your kids are doing, etc. I want to find out about you. Also, unless I've been driven to Jolly Ups or have to give someone a ride, I don't tend to stay very long. Even the JU of the Americas in San Francisco, my home turf, I picked my spots very selectively.

I've noticed through the years that I differ from BCB that way. Lots of folks have encyclopedic knowledge on artist, but my interests are 10 miles wide and about 1/4" thick. More detailed info interests me in a trivial way, but I don't tuck it away for later use or to use in Yakety Yak as ammunition. All the recycled posts in Yakety Yak were interesting, but part of me felt like, "Really - we gotta talk about the same ol' shit again?"

And compared to when BCB started, there are other online places to go and discuss politics and sports. I have as much interest in those topics as I do music. Don't get me wrong - I love music, love listening to it and I like playing it, but BCB isn't the be all or end all for that either - I spend more time in guitar playing, reggae or powerpop sites to talk about music I like. It does lend itself to good conversation with smart people, but because of the lack of people spending much time on here, it can be hours or a day or two before you get a response.

Work is pretty boring for me these days and it's a place to hang out, but its more like the corner bar for me these days where not as many people hang out. I'm just waiting to drive up and see the "Out of Business" sign on the front door any day now.

I actually put this post in drafts to reread later because I didn't want my mood at the time to influence whether to post it. Rereading it, I'd say it does reflect my current attitude about the place.

Don't think I don't like the place, heck I'M THE SECOND LEADING POSTER on here, but I guess I'm just being pragmatic. I tend to retreat a little when I think something meaningful to me looks like it's going away or disappearing.

Sloop, I've noticed you talk a lot about how often you are in touch with people who aren't on BCB anymore. It seems really important to you to talk about that. What's important about that to you to reiterate it so much? Given that we all are in touch with people who don't post here anymore. I feel that you are trying to express something that I can't grasp.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Jan 2018, 00:13

Minnie the Minx wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:After Pete's post about his mom, and Davey's too, it's nice to have a place to journal feelings, yet still get a response from people you know online and seem to care, otherwise it's just going into the ether. I still post a lot and BCB doesn't mean what it used to mean to me. If Jethro shut it down tomorrow, I might miss it for a few days, but I'd go on. I know I'd feel like something was missing, but most of my really good friends are in the outside world. And I have a daughter and 15 year-old son who's not going to hang out with me for much longer, so that's where my loyalties lie.

Sloop, I've noticed you talk a lot about how often you are in touch with people who aren't on BCB anymore. It seems really important to you to talk about that. What's important about that to you to reiterate it so much? Given that we all are in touch with people who don't post here anymore. I feel that you are trying to express something that I can't grasp.

Hmmm, interesting because I don't think I have. I'll have to think about it. If I do, I would think it usually comes up when we compare BCB now and then. Actually, most of my good friends have never been on here. I've invited a couple and it wasn't for them.

I also think I'm out here on an island in San Francisco vs. England, where all you guys can get together pretty easily. I used to go to the LA ones, but it's just too far for me to go these days and I don't have the time.

But then my kids tell me I repeat myself and tell the same stories over and over again. Maybe it's just a character trait.

Return to “Nextdoorland”