we can beat this ebola thing

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

how scared are you?

we are doomed
0
No votes
we can beat this thing
6
86%
whatever happens, happens
1
14%
 
Total votes: 7

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16710
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Jimbo » 24 Oct 2014, 07:13

From what I read the outbreak began in Zaire back in 1976 and one skeptic wonders how the disease hopscotched 3500KM miles to Liberia and Guinea. He postulates that since Liberia and Guinea are not signatories to the biological weapons ban the US biological war guys are using their territory as a testing ground. http://www.informationclearinghouse.inf ... e40012.htm
... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

User avatar
WG Kaspar
Posts: 9057
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 09:07

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby WG Kaspar » 24 Oct 2014, 08:08

You're a good man Jimbo
I run out of talent

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53433
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Snarfyguy » 24 Oct 2014, 15:00

Image

Okay, this isn't funny anymore! :evil:
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53433
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Snarfyguy » 24 Oct 2014, 15:08

Copehead wrote:About the same number of people are killed every day by Malaria as by Ebola in its whole history

I think this statistic, or factoid, or whatever it is is interesting but perhaps kind of misleading, inasmuch as the epidemiology of the two diseases is so different that they're perhaps not so comparable - with the one, you pretty much have to go to a particular zone and get stung by an illness-bearing mosquito and with the other you can apparently get it just by being in the same room with someone who has it, so the potential for that to spill out of control into a widespread health crisis is the issue, rather than the aggregate number of deaths.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 36353
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby kath » 24 Oct 2014, 15:17

GoogaMooga wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:yep, I'm a born Simpsons fan


i never bothered with that show, but groening drew comics before, "life in hell", they were really funny


i always went for his "love is hell"...

under the section, what the great philosophers have said vis-à-vis love:

"love is a slippery eel that bites like hell." ~~bertrand russell

"love is a perky elf dancing a merry little jig and then suddenly he turns on you with a miniature machine gun." ~~kierkegaard

"love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. at night, the ice weasels come." ~~nietzsche

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 36353
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby kath » 24 Oct 2014, 15:23

Snarfyguy wrote:
Copehead wrote:About the same number of people are killed every day by Malaria as by Ebola in its whole history

I think this statistic, or factoid, or whatever it is is interesting but perhaps kind of misleading, inasmuch as the epidemiology of the two diseases is so different that they're perhaps not so comparable - with the one, you pretty much have to go to a particular zone and get stung by an illness-bearing mosquito and with the other you can apparently get it just by being in the same room with someone who has it, so the potential for that to spill out of control into a widespread health crisis is the issue, rather than the aggregate number of deaths.


agreed. malaria's not exactly gonna turn into the plague.

my sunshiny sister thinks we might get wiped out by it. her response: time to plan another vacation right now, bitches. don't worry all that much about wiping down yer tray tables or yer seat belts, in the long term.

my sister missed her calling in life as a self-help motivator. or maybe a kiddie show host. a toss-up.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30687
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Oct 2014, 15:28

Snarfyguy wrote:
Copehead wrote:About the same number of people are killed every day by Malaria as by Ebola in its whole history

I think this statistic, or factoid, or whatever it is is interesting but perhaps kind of misleading, inasmuch as the epidemiology of the two diseases is so different that they're perhaps not so comparable - with the one, you pretty much have to go to a particular zone and get stung by an illness-bearing mosquito and with the other you can apparently get it just by being in the same room with someone who has it, so the potential for that to spill out of control into a widespread health crisis is the issue, rather than the aggregate number of deaths.


You don't get Ebola by being in the same room as someone who has it.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
harvey k-tel
Long Player
Posts: 40560
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby harvey k-tel » 24 Oct 2014, 15:30

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
Copehead wrote:About the same number of people are killed every day by Malaria as by Ebola in its whole history

I think this statistic, or factoid, or whatever it is is interesting but perhaps kind of misleading, inasmuch as the epidemiology of the two diseases is so different that they're perhaps not so comparable - with the one, you pretty much have to go to a particular zone and get stung by an illness-bearing mosquito and with the other you can apparently get it just by being in the same room with someone who has it, so the potential for that to spill out of control into a widespread health crisis is the issue, rather than the aggregate number of deaths.


You don't get Ebola by being in the same room as someone who has it.


What if it's a really really tiny room?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 36353
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby kath » 24 Oct 2014, 15:40

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:I think this statistic, or factoid, or whatever it is is interesting but perhaps kind of misleading, inasmuch as the epidemiology of the two diseases is so different that they're perhaps not so comparable - with the one, you pretty much have to go to a particular zone and get stung by an illness-bearing mosquito and with the other you can apparently get it just by being in the same room with someone who has it, so the potential for that to spill out of control into a widespread health crisis is the issue, rather than the aggregate number of deaths.


You don't get Ebola by being in the same room as someone who has it.


What if it's a really really tiny room?


mwhahahaaha.

minnie's right, but it's a pretty fine line. the people who know best are getting it. if you *are* in the same room as a person with ebola, you better make damn sure not to inhale part of a sneeze or touch anything that person has touched... and for fucque's sake, oral sex is right out.
Last edited by kath on 24 Oct 2014, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53433
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Snarfyguy » 24 Oct 2014, 15:42

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
Copehead wrote:About the same number of people are killed every day by Malaria as by Ebola in its whole history

I think this statistic, or factoid, or whatever it is is interesting but perhaps kind of misleading, inasmuch as the epidemiology of the two diseases is so different that they're perhaps not so comparable - with the one, you pretty much have to go to a particular zone and get stung by an illness-bearing mosquito and with the other you can apparently get it just by being in the same room with someone who has it, so the potential for that to spill out of control into a widespread health crisis is the issue, rather than the aggregate number of deaths.


You don't get Ebola by being in the same room as someone who has it.

Okay, well, what do I know? So somebody who's got it bad coughs on you. The point being, it travels.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, just maybe a better thing to compare it to is, like, measles or something.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24511
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Copehead » 24 Oct 2014, 15:50

Snarfyguy wrote:
Copehead wrote:About the same number of people are killed every day by Malaria as by Ebola in its whole history

I think this statistic, or factoid, or whatever it is is interesting but perhaps kind of misleading, inasmuch as the epidemiology of the two diseases is so different that they're perhaps not so comparable - with the one, you pretty much have to go to a particular zone and get stung by an illness-bearing mosquito and with the other you can apparently get it just by being in the same room with someone who has it, so the potential for that to spill out of control into a widespread health crisis is the issue, rather than the aggregate number of deaths.


You cannot get by being in the same room as someone who has it.

You can get it by getting the bodily fluids of someone who is in the terminal stages of the disease into your bloodstream.

If the person is not showing symptoms of the disease they are not contagious, if they are showing symptoms of the disease you would notice pretty quickly, basically if someone has been to West Africa recently and appears to be shitting their brains out of their ears and their liver out of their arse it may be advisable not to get their bodily fluids on yourself, or at least your mucus membranes, eyes or open wounds, on your skin is fine unless you then suck your thumb or rub your eyes.

The reason why such a deadly disease as Ebola, which kills a high % of the people it infects unless they have quick access to very high standards of health care, has killed so few people in its known history is because it isn't easily transmissible.
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 36353
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby kath » 24 Oct 2014, 16:10

Copehead wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
Copehead wrote:About the same number of people are killed every day by Malaria as by Ebola in its whole history

I think this statistic, or factoid, or whatever it is is interesting but perhaps kind of misleading, inasmuch as the epidemiology of the two diseases is so different that they're perhaps not so comparable - with the one, you pretty much have to go to a particular zone and get stung by an illness-bearing mosquito and with the other you can apparently get it just by being in the same room with someone who has it, so the potential for that to spill out of control into a widespread health crisis is the issue, rather than the aggregate number of deaths.


You cannot get by being in the same room as someone who has it.

You can get it by getting the bodily fluids of someone who is in the terminal stages of the disease into your bloodstream.

If the person is not showing symptoms of the disease they are not contagious, if they are showing symptoms of the disease you would notice pretty quickly, basically if someone has been to West Africa recently and appears to be shitting their brains out of their ears and their liver out of their arse it may be advisable not to get their bodily fluids on yourself, or at least your mucus membranes, eyes or open wounds, on your skin is fine unless you then suck your thumb or rub your eyes.

The reason why such a deadly disease as Ebola, which kills a high % of the people it infects unless they have quick access to very high standards of health care, has killed so few people in its known history is because it isn't easily transmissible.


dude? i am extremely glad you aren't in charge of the centers for disease control. or in charge of any medical staff directly dealing with ebola.

speaking of the CDC, do you know the types of diseases categorized by the CDC as the highest priority, select category A, on the national threat list? ya know, the ones which "...pose a risk to national security, can be easily transmitted and disseminated, result in high mortality, have potential major public health impact, may cause public panic, or require special action for public health preparedness..."?

you might wanna look over the list.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53433
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Snarfyguy » 24 Oct 2014, 16:30

kath wrote:speaking of the CDC, do you know the types of diseases categorized by the CDC as the highest priority, select category A, on the national threat list? ya know, the ones which "...pose a risk to national security, can be easily transmitted and disseminated, result in high mortality, have potential major public health impact, may cause public panic, or require special action for public health preparedness..."?

Is one of them boogie fever?

Image
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 36353
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby kath » 24 Oct 2014, 16:36

Snarfyguy wrote:
kath wrote:speaking of the CDC, do you know the types of diseases categorized by the CDC as the highest priority, select category A, on the national threat list? ya know, the ones which "...pose a risk to national security, can be easily transmitted and disseminated, result in high mortality, have potential major public health impact, may cause public panic, or require special action for public health preparedness..."?

Is one of them boogie fever?

Image


well, yes. but you know what to do about that. call the doctor on the telephonnnnnne (doctorr doctorrr)

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25964
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Oct 2014, 16:43

so it's "life is hell", not "life in hell" - makes more sense
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24511
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Copehead » 24 Oct 2014, 19:23

kath wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:I think this statistic, or factoid, or whatever it is is interesting but perhaps kind of misleading, inasmuch as the epidemiology of the two diseases is so different that they're perhaps not so comparable - with the one, you pretty much have to go to a particular zone and get stung by an illness-bearing mosquito and with the other you can apparently get it just by being in the same room with someone who has it, so the potential for that to spill out of control into a widespread health crisis is the issue, rather than the aggregate number of deaths.


You cannot get by being in the same room as someone who has it.

You can get it by getting the bodily fluids of someone who is in the terminal stages of the disease into your bloodstream.

If the person is not showing symptoms of the disease they are not contagious, if they are showing symptoms of the disease you would notice pretty quickly, basically if someone has been to West Africa recently and appears to be shitting their brains out of their ears and their liver out of their arse it may be advisable not to get their bodily fluids on yourself, or at least your mucus membranes, eyes or open wounds, on your skin is fine unless you then suck your thumb or rub your eyes.

The reason why such a deadly disease as Ebola, which kills a high % of the people it infects unless they have quick access to very high standards of health care, has killed so few people in its known history is because it isn't easily transmissible.


dude? i am extremely glad you aren't in charge of the centers for disease control. or in charge of any medical staff directly dealing with ebola.

speaking of the CDC, do you know the types of diseases categorized by the CDC as the highest priority, select category A, on the national threat list? ya know, the ones which "...pose a risk to national security, can be easily transmitted and disseminated, result in high mortality, have potential major public health impact, may cause public panic, or require special action for public health preparedness..."?

you might wanna look over the list.


There is no doubt that it is an extremely nasty disease that kills a high proportion of the people it infects, there is also no doubt the fact that it isn't transmissible through the air and that people are not contagious until rendered immobile by the disease means it has never killed as many people as donkey attacks or dirty di1d0s,

Unless you are in physical contact with someone who is within hours of dying from this disease, as medical staff and family members would be, then your chances of catching the disease are effectively nil.

There is being well prepared and aware of a disease and there is getting hysterical I am just trying to ensure we are all on the right side of that line
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 16165
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby bobzilla77 » 24 Oct 2014, 19:25

So, the government wants us all dead. Well, that sucks!

But we elected them so I'm sure they have our best interests at heart. Maybe it's time to get behind the idea. People are already throwing away their rights so that corporations can have more control of them, perhaps it's time to say "in for a penny, in for a pound."

In which case, all this mucking about with infectious disease is a big waste of time and only makes everyone nervous. Can't we petition them to accelerate the process?
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5307
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby zoomboogity » 24 Oct 2014, 19:33

bobzilla77 wrote:But we elected them so I'm sure they have our best interests at heart.


:lol: :lol: :lol:
Image

"Quite."

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 36353
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby kath » 24 Oct 2014, 20:41

Copehead wrote:
kath wrote:
dude? i am extremely glad you aren't in charge of the centers for disease control. or in charge of any medical staff directly dealing with ebola.

speaking of the CDC, do you know the types of diseases categorized by the CDC as the highest priority, select category A, on the national threat list? ya know, the ones which "...pose a risk to national security, can be easily transmitted and disseminated, result in high mortality, have potential major public health impact, may cause public panic, or require special action for public health preparedness..."?

you might wanna look over the list.


There is no doubt that it is an extremely nasty disease that kills a high proportion of the people it infects, there is also no doubt the fact that it isn't transmissible through the air and that people are not contagious until rendered immobile by the disease means it has never killed as many people as donkey attacks or dirty di1d0s,

Unless you are in physical contact with someone who is within hours of dying from this disease, as medical staff and family members would be, then your chances of catching the disease are effectively nil.

There is being well prepared and aware of a disease and there is getting hysterical I am just trying to ensure we are all on the right side of that line


really? people aren't contagious until they are rendered immobile? well, yeah, they're contagious after they're dead, too... but i wonder... what exactly is yer infectious symptom run here? i dunno, that "within hours of death" sounds suspiciously ignorant to me. after all, even when a guy has recovered from the disease, his semen can still carry the virus and infect a partner for up to seven weeks. i assume if he's doin the wonkytonk, he's not entirely immobile/dead.

of course, physical contact can also mean indirect contact, touching sumthin an infected person has touched. you do realize that, right? as ebola can be transmitted through things like sweat trace as well.

by the way, i myself am not hysterical about ebola. i'm not hysterical about anything, actually. i doubt places like the CDC or the world health organization classifying it as highest-level threat represent those agencies being hysterical, either. maybe they're just a lil moody.

but i'm not blind about the potential for exponential infection, either. i think i'm a realist. and i think writing it off as harmless and easily zapped is just as stoopit as moving into an underground bunker and fondling yer canned food supply. see, the problem is, it takes just a few out-of-standard-controls, off-center-stage cases, non-protocol-zoned episodes to exponentialize lightning fast. i am glad you are so confident in the establishment's ability to quickly and effectively counter all potentially bad outcomes. i don't quite share yer confidence.

that doesn't mean i think we'll all be re-enacting the stand tomorrow. but i do think it will get worse.

cmon baybeee don't fear the reaperrrrr

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24511
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Copehead » 24 Oct 2014, 21:25

kath wrote:
Copehead wrote:
kath wrote:
dude? i am extremely glad you aren't in charge of the centers for disease control. or in charge of any medical staff directly dealing with ebola.

speaking of the CDC, do you know the types of diseases categorized by the CDC as the highest priority, select category A, on the national threat list? ya know, the ones which "...pose a risk to national security, can be easily transmitted and disseminated, result in high mortality, have potential major public health impact, may cause public panic, or require special action for public health preparedness..."?

you might wanna look over the list.


There is no doubt that it is an extremely nasty disease that kills a high proportion of the people it infects, there is also no doubt the fact that it isn't transmissible through the air and that people are not contagious until rendered immobile by the disease means it has never killed as many people as donkey attacks or dirty di1d0s,

Unless you are in physical contact with someone who is within hours of dying from this disease, as medical staff and family members would be, then your chances of catching the disease are effectively nil.

There is being well prepared and aware of a disease and there is getting hysterical I am just trying to ensure we are all on the right side of that line


really? people aren't contagious until they are rendered immobile? well, yeah, they're contagious after they're dead, too... but i wonder... what exactly is yer infectious symptom run here? i dunno, that "within hours of death" sounds suspiciously ignorant to me. after all, even when a guy has recovered from the disease, his semen can still carry the virus and infect a partner for up to seven weeks. i assume if he's doin the wonkytonk, he's not entirely immobile/dead.

of course, physical contact can also mean indirect contact, touching sumthin an infected person has touched. you do realize that, right? as ebola can be transmitted through things like sweat trace as well.

by the way, i myself am not hysterical about ebola. i'm not hysterical about anything, actually. i doubt places like the CDC or the world health organization classifying it as highest-level threat represent those agencies being hysterical, either. maybe they're just a lil moody.

but i'm not blind about the potential for exponential infection, either. i think i'm a realist. and i think writing it off as harmless and easily zapped is just as stoopit as moving into an underground bunker and fondling yer canned food supply. see, the problem is, it takes just a few out-of-standard-controls, off-center-stage cases, non-protocol-zoned episodes to exponentialize lightning fast. i am glad you are so confident in the establishment's ability to quickly and effectively counter all potentially bad outcomes. i don't quite share yer confidence.

that doesn't mean i think we'll all be re-enacting the stand tomorrow. but i do think it will get worse.

cmon baybeee don't fear the reaperrrrr


I suggest you google the disease and look at its effects and epidemiology that's all I did.

It obviously isn't harmless, it's epidemiology explains why so few people catch it and die from it.

If it was transmissible via the air and lungs and asymptomatic people could transmit half the world would have died from it centuries ago like the Black Death.

Now a vaccine is being fast tracked that will hopefully stamp it out within a few years and we can all worry about the next thing.
Last edited by Copehead on 24 Oct 2014, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.