we can beat this ebola thing

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

how scared are you?

we are doomed
0
No votes
we can beat this thing
6
86%
whatever happens, happens
1
14%
 
Total votes: 7

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25988
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

we can beat this ebola thing

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Oct 2014, 09:08

us medicinal firm j&j and danish medicinal firm bavarian nordic are working together to develop a vaccine against the dreaded ebola, and it should be ready early next year. i think it's excellent that rival firms can share their research together this way. now's the time to buy shares in bavarian nordic!
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/10/2 ... 1T20141022
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Tapiocahead
Posts: 6981
Joined: 15 Jul 2005, 22:41
Location: quite literally in your face

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Tapiocahead » 23 Oct 2014, 09:11

I'm not scared at all - apparently it can only be transmitted via 2nd hand Don Henley CDs.
Fishstick selling fuck

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25988
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Oct 2014, 09:11

Tapiocahead wrote:I'm not scared at all - apparently it can only be transmitted via 2nd hand Don Henley CDs.


sheesh, i got mine from thrift! :shock:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 45616
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby The Prof » 23 Oct 2014, 10:43

I don't suppose the CIA operating in Central Africa and the outbreak of Ebola (and HIV) have any connection.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 13505
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby The Modernist » 23 Oct 2014, 11:41

Glad we sold him to Galatasaray .

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25988
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Oct 2014, 12:06

The Prof wrote:I don't suppose the CIA operating in Central Africa and the outbreak of Ebola (and HIV) have any connection.


zilth pilchards is following this epidemic very closely on the news every day, and he says the disease came from eating bush meat, specifically, bats. :shock:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Phil T

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Phil T » 23 Oct 2014, 12:12

The Prof wrote:I don't suppose the CIA operating in Central Africa and the outbreak of Ebola (and HIV) have any connection.


No idea, but no doubt Jimbo will be along shortly, to enlighten us.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24517
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Copehead » 23 Oct 2014, 17:00

About the same number of people are killed every day by Malaria as by Ebola in its whole history

So any vaccine would have to be driven by public money as it just isn't deadly enough to worry most drug companies.

Unless the current outbreak, which to be fair is probably the worst because of where it happened, is being hyped up to get a vaccine done quickly.

People shitting out their internal organs does concentrate minds on a problem.
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24517
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Copehead » 23 Oct 2014, 17:02

The Prof wrote:I don't suppose the CIA operating in Central Africa and the outbreak of Ebola (and HIV) have any connection.


Not unless they are forcing the locals to butcher bush meat that has been infected by a fruit bat virus.

Seems a convoluted way of going about killing 7000 people in West Africa.
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 45616
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby The Prof » 23 Oct 2014, 17:16

Who knows?
If it's been created in a lab and somehow got loose before it can be used as a weapon of war.

Six String
Posts: 20494
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Six String » 23 Oct 2014, 17:19

Copehead wrote:About the same number of people are killed every day by Malaria as by Ebola in its whole history

So any vaccine would have to be driven by public money as it just isn't deadly enough to worry most drug companies.

Unless the current outbreak, which to be fair is probably the worst because of where it happened, is being hyped up to get a vaccine done quickly.

People shitting out their internal organs does concentrate minds on a problem.


Where did you get that data about malaria deaths?

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53439
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Oct 2014, 17:48

Copehead wrote:About the same number of people are killed every day by Malaria as by Ebola in its whole history

So any vaccine would have to be driven by public money as it just isn't deadly enough to worry most drug companies.

Unless the current outbreak, which to be fair is probably the worst because of where it happened, is being hyped up to get a vaccine done quickly.

People shitting out their internal organs does concentrate minds on a problem.

Should I infer from this that Big Pharma's problem is principally a PR problem?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24517
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Copehead » 23 Oct 2014, 18:14

The Prof wrote:Who knows?
If it's been created in a lab and somehow got loose before it can be used as a weapon of war.


Since when have fruit bats started burglarising top secret biological weapons establishments and should we be worried by the fruit bat threat?

That is the animal fruit bat not the former CTUSM member.
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24517
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Copehead » 23 Oct 2014, 18:25

Six String wrote:
Copehead wrote:About the same number of people are killed every day by Malaria as by Ebola in its whole history

So any vaccine would have to be driven by public money as it just isn't deadly enough to worry most drug companies.

Unless the current outbreak, which to be fair is probably the worst because of where it happened, is being hyped up to get a vaccine done quickly.

People shitting out their internal organs does concentrate minds on a problem.


Where did you get that data about malaria deaths?


By reading teh Guardian, never a good idea

Googling deaths per day malaria and then comparing that with the a google of total deaths Ebola gives:

From WHO

and an estimated 627 000 malaria deaths (with an uncertainty range of 473 000 to 789 000).


627,000/365
=1717

so I was a bit out, not an order of magnitude though, perhaps I should have said week

TB is even more deadly and that is curable with antibiotics, even pretty resistant strains can usually be cured.

Doesn't change the thrust of the point
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 45616
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby The Prof » 23 Oct 2014, 19:18

Copehead wrote:
The Prof wrote:Who knows?
If it's been created in a lab and somehow got loose before it can be used as a weapon of war.


Since when have fruit bats started burglarising top secret biological weapons establishments and should we be worried by the fruit bat threat?

That is the animal fruit bat not the former CTUSM member.


"Somehow got loose" dies not immediately infer a group of noctillionine Artful Dodgers legging around Central Africa.

There's lots of ways something can escape from a lab or get dumped. It's not beyond the realms of possibility is all I'm saying.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 39446
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: HAIL, ATLANTA!

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Count Machuki » 23 Oct 2014, 19:40

GoogaMooga wrote:now's the time to buy shares in bavarian nordic!



Forget that, now's the time to move to Denmark and get a job out of all this medical research prosperity.
At least, that's what I'd be thinking if I lived in East Africa.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25988
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Oct 2014, 19:45

Count Machuki wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:now's the time to buy shares in bavarian nordic!



Forget that, now's the time to move to Denmark and get a job out of all this medical research prosperity.
At least, that's what I'd be thinking if I lived in East Africa.


if they are qualified, they are welcome! in twenty years time we'll be 4,000 specialist doctors short. it takes 10-13 years of study to reach that level, so we have to do something, fast!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 39446
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: HAIL, ATLANTA!

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Count Machuki » 23 Oct 2014, 19:47

well, I wasn't actually thinking of doctors.
More like, if the economy's getting such a boost, why not go there and just find any old job, right!
I mean, gotta chase those opportunities, like you said.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25988
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Oct 2014, 19:49

Count Machuki wrote:well, I wasn't actually thinking of doctors.
More like, if the economy's getting such a boost, why not go there and just find any old job, right!
I mean, gotta chase those opportunities, like you said.


it's true that medical science is a dynamo for the danish economy, but we are hurting in so many other ways. those sanctions against russia are costing us billions, and we are now seeking new export markets, like south america.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 39446
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: HAIL, ATLANTA!

Re: we can beat this ebola thing

Postby Count Machuki » 23 Oct 2014, 19:49

GoogaMooga wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:well, I wasn't actually thinking of doctors.
More like, if the economy's getting such a boost, why not go there and just find any old job, right!
I mean, gotta chase those opportunities, like you said.


it's true that medical science is a dynamo for the danish economy, but we are hurting in so many other ways. those sanctions against russia are costing us billions, and we are now seeking new export markets, like south america.


So maybe moving there isn't the best idea?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D