Pantheist
13%
Autotheist
6%

Total votes: 54

Rayge

So, GOD then

Postby Rayge » 08 Jul 2014, 12:57

Seeing as how the revived thread on politics has brought the board together again in peace and harmony, I thought it would be apt to bring in that other great social lubricant, religious belief, but to save people writing screeds, I've provided a handy poll.
I'm no expert, but I think I've covered most categories (for fear of complications, and of having too many options, I've left out sub-categories such as rationalist and irrationalist atheist , one-is-one-and-all-alone and trinitarian monotheists, wibble-eyed fundie crazies in all categories*, and so on). Feel free to add others (preferably from your experience rather than acid-fuelled thought experiments – not that there's anything wrong with those), although I don't know if I can add them to the poll.

Here's a brief explanation of what I mean by the terms, expressed as a typical answer to the question, 'Do you believe in God?'
Atheist - 'There's no such thing, except in the minds of (obviously deluded) people, and [militant wing only] it's my duty to point this out at every opportunity.'
Non-theist - 'Whut? Pisht!'
Agnostic - 'I'm prepared to believe in a god or gods, providing s/he takes time out of their busy day to show me the proper ID / smack me in the face with a haddock'
Monotheist (male) - 'He did it all. Kneel and praise Him!'
Monotheist (female) - 'The Great Mother made us all. Dance and praise her!'
Polytheist – 'There are many gods, each with specific areas of concern and distinct personalities. Propitiation is the name of the game' (The Graeco-Roman-Egyptian model)
Pantheist - 'God is everywhere, man, like, you know – OMG don't step on that ant'
Autotheist – 'Every Man and Woman is a Star'

Spread the BCB love, people ('Sarcasm?' - Dr S Cooper)

*'Why are by-the-book Xians known as Fundamentalists?' 'Because they are talking out of their arses.'
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Re: So, GOD then

Postby The Prof » 08 Jul 2014, 13:00

Footyist. √

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 08 Jul 2014, 13:01

"Britain is still ostensibly a Python-worshipping country"
:)

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Jul 2014, 13:05

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 08 Jul 2014, 13:06

I don't believe that a dialectic about the existence of a God should be central to the discussion of religion itself. Too often on this board the atheists and those who believe per se have twisted themselves in knots endlessly about it.

Personally I don't believe in the existence of god - but I think that it is unwise for us to push aside the absolutely core parts of our make up as individuals and communities, the astonishing cultural aspects (if it wasn't for religion, then I don't think we'd be here talking about music for example) and even our philosophies so quickly as it seems we are doing in the secular West.

Kurt Vonnegut said it best I think - "If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not? "
Last edited by Toby on 08 Jul 2014, 13:09, edited 2 times in total.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 08 Jul 2014, 13:08

Uh oh!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 08 Jul 2014, 13:11

I reckon I'm a monopantheist.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 08 Jul 2014, 13:12

I am a monotheist with God as a male central character. The latter is sort of a default position, the Bible speaks of a male deity and the great majority of believers use 'he' in everyday language; but it's not of much importance to me. In fact I'd be quite glad if God revealed herself to be a woman.

It is interesting that you came up with a poll; I do hope that many of us will participate and answer it too.

It's not always easy to make yourself known as a believer, these days. You're quite often in the defending position, as if you had to prove something or otherwise you're a nutter with severe psychosis. But it's not atypical for a very materialistic age that seems to have money, consumerism and cheap hedonism as its pillars.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Nick

Postby Nick » 08 Jul 2014, 13:13

Toby wrote:I don't believe that a dialectic about the existence of a God should be central to the discussion of religion itself. Too often on this board the atheists and those who believe per se have twisted themselves in knots endlessly about it.

Kurt Vonnegut said it best I think - "If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not? "

I've never come across any atheist who would deny that there are some teachings in (almost) all religions that are ethically sound.

I think the reason that the debate so often revolves around the question of the existence of God (and the corollary question of if he does then for which team does he play?) is that some religiously-inclined people infer that if he does exist, then this confers a higher moral authority on his theology than any that humans have (or could) come up with.

Basically, if God does exist, then he's their trump card.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Conrad Knight Socks
Poptastic

Postby Conrad Knight Socks » 08 Jul 2014, 13:14

I don't know which category I fall into, but I talk to my version of god all the time, usually asking that Arsenal win something - not just for me, you understand, it would give pleasure to all those Arsenal fans out there. Because he is a construct of mine, I tend to think of my god as a bloke, but of course he isn't everyone's god. Your god will be different to mine.

This is my kind of god:

I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 08 Jul 2014, 13:14

Polishgirl wrote:I reckon I'm a monopantheist.

Like this you mean?

The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 08 Jul 2014, 13:16

:shock:
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Jul 2014, 13:19

Atheist
Copehead wrote:I was helping out the victims of virtue signaling in the Ghettos before this was even an issue in the wider world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Jul 2014, 13:25

Toby wrote:I don't believe that a dialectic about the existence of a God should be central to the discussion of religion itself.

With respect, Toby, I wasn't intending this to be a thread about religion – a tedious subject at the nuts and bolts level – but a thread about people's concepts of god and its (the concept, not the god) relevance to their lives, in the same way that the political thread tried to encompass the whole spectrum in half a dozen pool choices.

That said, ramify, ramble and ruminate away, everybody. It is The Way of the Board
It's all good in this best of all possible BCB worlds

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 08 Jul 2014, 13:31

You only hold up department stores to steal one pair of knickers at a time?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Jul 2014, 13:32

Hugh wrote:

You only hold up department stores to steal one pair of knickers at a time?

How many more could one need? One has, after all, only one Fundament (Pass the Lard!)

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 08 Jul 2014, 13:38

Rayge wrote:Seeing as how the revived thread on politics has brought the board together again in peace and harmony, I thought it would be apt to bring in that other great social lubricant, religious belief, but to save people writing screeds, I've provided a handy poll.
.'

This topic never ends well
Wounds are all I'm made of; Did I hear you say that this is victory?

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Jul 2014, 13:40

Copehead wrote:
Rayge wrote:Seeing as how the revived thread on politics has brought the board together again in peace and harmony, I thought it would be apt to bring in that other great social lubricant, religious belief, but to save people writing screeds, I've provided a handy poll.
.'

But an exquisitely well-written beginning, no?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 08 Jul 2014, 13:46

Rayge wrote:
Copehead wrote:
.'

But an exquisitely well-written beginning, no?

Indeed it was

But Davey will get here soon and then it begins

As long as religion is kept as a private matter I am happy, my major bone of contention is the religious inserting themselves into the education of children. I'd prefer a French or American attitude to state and religion.
Wounds are all I'm made of; Did I hear you say that this is victory?

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Nick

Postby Nick » 08 Jul 2014, 14:05

Copehead wrote:As long as religion is kept as a private matter I am happy, my major bone of contention is the religious inserting themselves into the education of children.

Don't get me started on 'faith' schools.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.