USA
33%
UK
67%

Total votes: 24

sloopjohnc

Re: US v. UK, Round 12: Alcoholic Beverages

Postby sloopjohnc » 31 May 2014, 19:29

Matt Wilson wrote:I've drank more beer this year than in the last few years combined. There's so many great craft breweries here now that one can't possibly keep up with them. Even obtaining some of these beers is difficult.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/top/

Not surprising, but interesting to see Pliny the Elder and Younger so high on the list.

When Russian River Brewing Company releases them, there are four hour lines at the brewery on the day of.

By the way, the Russian River is hour and a half drive north of San Francisco and traditional weekend and summer getaway spot for Bay Area folks.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 31 May 2014, 22:34

Copehead wrote:
Cellar temperature not room temperature :x

Glad to see you point out the difference. It often goes over most people's head. Being a good american and not a beer snob, i tend to like mine colder. But when drinking some decent beers the slighter warmer temps allow more flavors to come through. The same reason you would not serve whisk(e)y on the rocks but simply with a dash of cool spring water.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 31 May 2014, 22:49

Copehead wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:I am a cold beer man. I remember when I went to England last I had Nick in a fit after I happened to mention on Facebook that I had my Newcastle Brown Ale in an ice bucket. Yeah room temp I get it, but room temp that day was 30 degrees plus :lol:

I prefer English beer but that could be due to the sheer lack of US boutique brews available in Oz. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale though is probably my favourite beer.

I had an Australian Stout the other day that was very moreish, a freebie from my local wine merchant who has started stocking Coopers.

By and large I found their beers underwhelming when I was in Oz but the best of the bunch easily available, too fizzy for ale for a start, but the stout was excellent although at 6.2%, heavy and chocolatey you wouldn't want to drink too many

The Sparkling Ale and the Pale Ale are national treasures over here, not to mention dangerous in regards to the Sparkling :lol:

The Best Extra Stout is a wonderful cooking beer, and apparently tastes even better after a year in the bottle (Coopers bottles come with "Best After" dates after all).
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 31 May 2014, 23:39

hookfinger wrote:
Copehead wrote:

Glad to see you point out the difference. It often goes over most people's head. Being a good american and not a beer snob, i tend to like mine colder. But when drinking some decent beers the slighter warmer temps allow more flavors to come through. The same reason you would not serve whisk(e)y on the rocks but simply with a dash of cool spring water.

This could be love!

;)
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 03 Jun 2014, 01:37

I've never had any American craft beers so can only comment on imported mainstream stuff which I don't like and doesn't stand a chance against a wide selection of imported European beers. I did try a Samual Adams Boston Lager yesterday because Griff mentioned it and I saw one in the supermarket. It was fine but reading the label I noticed it had never been anywhere near the US as it was brewed by a Philippines-based brewery. Explains why it was so cheap and not normal imported price. I would still pick a mainstream Japanese beer over it though except for Asahi.

US would win with the wine but I prefer European, Aussi or NZ wines so rarely buy them.

Baron of the Flies wrote:There are, of course, climate issues that could be responsible for different preferences, but I'm not about to defend our cold beer obsession.

You are quite right. The hot weather has kicked in in Hong Kong and only cold beers will be drank for a next few months. My favourite cold beer to drink at home is Fuller's Honeydew which happens to be a UK one.

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Jun 2014, 21:45

Baron of the Flies wrote:Exactly. Cool Coors is the only thing worse than cold Coors.

And warm Coors is against the Geneva Convention.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Jun 2014, 21:50

A bar man in Denver told me they put formaldehyde in Coors.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 06 Jun 2014, 22:22

Deebank wrote:A bar man in Denver told me they put formaldehyde in Coors.

They certainly put it in the Star beer in Nigeria, worst hangover of my life

They also put it in Tsing Tao in China as well, two bottles with lunch, hangover with supper

I know they put it in to give it a long shelf life in hot countries but who the hell would buy beer that makes you feel like you have cholera after two bottles ?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Jun 2014, 00:22

I think they put formaldehyde in Coors to improve the taste. :lol:

Was it Graham Chapman who said "American beer is like sex in a boat- it's fucking close to water!"?

Disappointed to hear that about Tsingtao, which I sometimes get in Chinese restaurants. It's never troubled me but I usually have just one.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 07 Jun 2014, 00:26

toomanyhatz wrote:I think they put formaldehyde in Coors to improve the taste. :lol:

They couldn't make it any worse, anyway...

I had my first Pabst a while back - now that is grotesque.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Jun 2014, 00:40

toomanyhatz wrote:
Disappointed to hear that about Tsingtao, which I sometimes get in Chinese restaurants. It's never troubled me but I usually have just one.

I've never had a problem with Tsing tao either but I have with San Miguel. I had a Tsing tau stout last week which I'd never seen before. I used it to cook a casserole with as I couldn't buy a single bottle of Guinness but had a swig of it before tipping it in the casserole pan and it tasted ok.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Jun 2014, 00:41

Minnie Darling wrote:I had my first Pabst a while back - now that is grotesque.

...And hip as hell right now with millennials. Just how much are young people willing to suffer these days in an attempt to be 'edgy'?
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 07 Jun 2014, 03:02

toomanyhatz wrote:
Minnie Darling wrote:I had my first Pabst a while back - now that is grotesque.

...And hip as hell right now with millennials. Just how much are young people willing to suffer these days in an attempt to be 'edgy'?

I was smashing that Christmas 2012. The reason? It was ridiculously cheap and chilled to near freezing tastes not terrible. When it first came out it was walking out the door so next Christmas they upped the price and no one bought it :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 07 Jun 2014, 03:26

You're all a dumb bunch of fucking cunts
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 07 Jun 2014, 12:32

Takes one to know one. Ner ner neer.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 07 Jun 2014, 14:24

Harvey K-Tel wrote:You're all a dumb bunch of fucking cunts

Please pass me another Molsen, eh.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 07 Jun 2014, 19:07

trans-chigley express wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

I've never had a problem with Tsing tao either but I have with San Miguel. I had a Tsing tau stout last week which I'd never seen before. I used it to cook a casserole with as I couldn't buy a single bottle of Guinness but had a swig of it before tipping it in the casserole pan and it tasted ok.

Probably brewed differently for different markets. This was bought in some port town on the Yellow Sea whose name escapes me.

the hotel were obviously not prepared for 40 thirsty Western mariners turning up and sent out for all the beer they could get, there was dust on some of the bottles, but being a Chinese port that doesn't mean too much, there is dust on everything.

Anyway the stuff tasted OK cold, but I had a swig on a warming bottle and it was foul and chemically, so I got another cold one :?

Bad mistake.

If they brew it where it is going to be drunk within weeks I suppose they don't need preservatives, but if it is going to be stored for months they do.

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 05 Dec 2018, 02:17

BUMP BABY
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 05 Dec 2018, 06:26

You can get Pabst in Tesco now. Its in the craft beer aisle. :lol:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 05 Dec 2018, 15:08

Jumper K wrote:You can get Pabst in Tesco now. Its in the craft beer aisle. :lol:

:lol: you have to kidding me.

First off if you are going to state the whole Uk then I'm adding Mexico and Canada to US side.

This is a tie
Beer:
US: There is the awful major breweries which spit out some of the most vial swill in the world. The only way to even attempt to drink it is extremely cold at a beach bar. The exception are some of the Canadian Brews and I even prefer a piss water Mexican beer if I'm on the beach over the US stuff. Can't think of any UK beer that is good on the beach but I might be forgetting something.
The new micro brewery scene is catching up to the UK but its not there and there is something about them that gives me a headache if I have more than 2. Not that we do that anymore. I don't get the PA craze here not a fan. Also note in the US several beer companies make different beer for different states/export too as there are weird rules regarding % of alcohol and preservatives.
UK - wonderful beers at the right temp too (Cellar temp). I'm a dark/amber/stout beer drinker.
oh course Belgium beers blow both US and Uk out of the water.

Wine:
Does the UK even make wine?
US: easy win here. However, I will note we are not talking Cali wines which I for the most part am not a fan of. My wine of choice is the Oregon Pinot Noir which in my eyes competes with France. Washington State also has some wonderful wines. Also a fan of Rieslings and a few other wines from the NY state Finger Lakes.
European wines would still be my favorite wines and as others have stated New Zealand/South African, Chilean and lots of other off the beaten path make great wines too.

other spirits
UK -Took me a longtime to understand that Whisky is good maybe because in my youth we only had the vile American version.
US: not a vodka drinker anymore but its why I added Mexico I was a big tequila drinker. Love me some Mexican Tequila especially the top line stuff. Also add Rum from the Caribbean.

summing up
Beer - UK
Wine - US
other spirits: tie

end result tie.
If it was Europe vs the Americas : Europe would win.