UK
40%

Total votes: 45

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: US vs. UK round two: the food

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Dec 2018, 23:53

I dunno, what's this EELS shit?
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 06 Dec 2018, 00:04

NOBODY eats eels!

Every time I put on some US TV show they’re all bouncing around in the back of a car singing about going for fucking ‘FROZEN YOH-GURT’
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Dec 2018, 00:07

That was the new thing in the eighties as a healthier substitute for ice cream.

Today's frozen yogurt tastes very similar to ice cream.

The circle is complete.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2018, 00:12

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 06 Dec 2018, 04:34

Cheese, Chocolates and Indian food? that's it? not even sure the Uk is the best in the world at any of those.

I would say Uk and the Metro east coast(Dc-Boston) are a wash - pretty sure you can get excellent any cuisine in the world (although both places can't compare with the real thing in many of them)
Then you still have San Fran, LA, NOLA, Chicago and Puerto Rico all outstanding in their own way.
Oh and BBQ and southern cuisine different than NOLA

UK indian food is outstanding but their are enclaves around the US that compare by the way in NYC they are in Queen and Brooklyn( plus 1/2 the price) not in the posh Manhattan ones.

I can't imagine the UK can compete in
Mexican
TexMex
Latin American
Creole and Cajun

then again I guess you could say that about certain European Cuisines.

Both have great Asian Cuisine but both can't compare to the real thing.

on the other side both places have some of the worst food in the world.
Hersey's or Marmite?

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 06 Dec 2018, 08:16

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:Every time I put on some US TV show they’re all bouncing around in the back of a car singing about going for fucking ‘FROZEN YOH-GURT’

My absolute favourite scene in Roots.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 06 Dec 2018, 08:24

It's a draw.

Given that the UK could fit into Texas, it is unsurprising that we don't have much in the way of variation. But when Americans crow on about regional cuisines, there's basically about 5 and that's in a country the size of Europe. So don't kid yourself that you've got this massive selection. There is more variety in Italy alone.

The UK wins on high calibre restaurants. Chez Panisse and a few other select Californian ones aside, given our size there are simply more per sq km over here. When places like Cumbria have Michelin star places it tells you a lot. You could drive across the entirety of the Mid West before getting something good to eat.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 06 Dec 2018, 08:41

PENK wrote:
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:Every time I put on some US TV show they’re all bouncing around in the back of a car singing about going for fucking ‘FROZEN YOH-GURT’

My absolute favourite scene in Roots.

:lol:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Dec 2018, 09:20

Toby wrote: Chez Penisse.

I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 06 Dec 2018, 11:03

Seeing as Brexit is the only topic on the news at the moment, it's worth reminding ourselves of one of the catastrophic effects of a No Deal exit.

UK food standards are predicted to drop following pressure from the US. Not just any old drop, but drop so low that they are almost at the levels of America food standards.

We're being threatened with chlorinated chicken, more antibiotics, synthetic growth hormones and organic arsenic in our food.
Imagine the sight of 100 children all eating KFC at the swimming baths. In the shallow end.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 06 Dec 2018, 11:19

Chlorinated Chicken sounds bad but it actually isn't.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 06 Dec 2018, 11:44

The theory is that farmers relying chlorine washes take less care of each stage of the process instead relying on a chlorine wash at the end.

In other words without the chlorine wash, farmers take more care rather then relying on chlorines to kill all the bad stuff. EU chickens are only washed in water. This also leads to better levels of animal welfare.

Robert

Postby Robert » 06 Dec 2018, 11:58

The Prof wrote:Seeing as Brexit is the only topic on the news at the moment, it's worth reminding ourselves of one of the catastrophic effects of a No Deal exit.

UK food standards are predicted to drop following pressure from the US. Not just any old drop, but drop so low that they are almost at the levels of America food standards.

We're being threatened with chlorinated chicken, more antibiotics, synthetic growth hormones and organic arsenic in our food.

And lots of GMO's

Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Stille Baron » 06 Dec 2018, 12:37

Toby wrote:It's a draw.

Given that the UK could fit into Texas, it is unsurprising that we don't have much in the way of variation. But when Americans crow on about regional cuisines, there's basically about 5 and that's in a country the size of Europe. So don't kid yourself that you've got this massive selection. There is more variety in Italy alone.

The UK wins on high calibre restaurants. Chez Panisse and a few other select Californian ones aside, given our size there are simply more per sq km over here. When places like Cumbria have Michelin star places it tells you a lot. You could drive across the entirety of the Mid West before getting something good to eat.

Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 06 Dec 2018, 14:19

Toby wrote:It's a draw.

but we aren't talking Italy or all of Europe we are talking about the UK. I've eaten at enough high calibre restaurants to know that the greatest thing about them is the bill. That being said I highly doubt that the UK has more than the entire US. The US is far from the capital of cuisine or best country for food but against the UK. ;)

Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Stille Baron » 06 Dec 2018, 14:31

Hightea wrote:That being said I highly doubt that the UK has more than the entire US.

I think he was referring to restaurants with Michelin stars. But, as someone else mentioned, Michelin only covers three or four American cities. So, obviously, you’re correct.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 06 Dec 2018, 14:38

I don't honestly know how you'd rate the quality of food/restaurants overall in a country, but going by the number of Michelin-starred places is definitely a daft idea.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 06 Dec 2018, 15:01

Don't see why not personally. It's a reflection of the food culture of the country to a certain extent. It is a barometer of the quality of chefs for one thing. There has been a quiet revolution in food in the UK since the turn of the century and that is articulated by the sheer number of excellent restaurants here, not only in London but throughout the country.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 06 Dec 2018, 15:06

Btw The USA has 148 Michelin compared to the UK with 163. France has 600 and Japan over 400

Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Stille Baron » 06 Dec 2018, 15:18

Toby wrote:Btw The USA has New York, DC, Chicago, and the Bay Area have 148 Michelin compared to the UK with 163. France has 600 and Japan over 400