60%
UK
40%

Total votes: 45

Darkness_Fish

Re: US vs. UK round two: the food

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Oct 2017, 09:16

Pat O'Banton wrote:
Hugh wrote:Hershey’s chocolate actually tastes like vomit. How can this be?

Wow, that's what I thought. I thought it was just me.

Try searching in google. Just typing "hershey's chocolate t" and "tastes like vomit" will appear high in the list.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Oct 2017, 23:00

Still Baron wrote:
COLIN LAND wrote:- don't forget California has the best fruit and vegetables IN THE WHOLE WORLD

Good point.

We do. I'm glad you finally got the message.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Oct 2017, 12:45

sloopjohnc wrote:
Still Baron wrote:
COLIN LAND wrote:- don't forget California has the best fruit and vegetables IN THE WHOLE WORLD

Good point.

Is that still an issue?

You can get nice fresh produce anywhere in the world these days - it may even be flown in from the central valley!

I'll also challenge Davey's nonsense about cheese too.

I can see why he might roll his eyes at the idea of cheese being a big culinary deal but that's because he comes from a country where cheese is neon-orange and comes in a fucking aerosol can!

In the UK every region has its own unique and brilliant variation on the old fermented curd. I live 30 odd miles from Cheddar! Yes it's a real fucking place! And the cheese is great!!!
Last edited by Deebank on 17 Oct 2017, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 17 Oct 2017, 12:46

Deebank wrote:I can see why he might role his eyes at the idea of cheese being a big culinary deal but that's because he comes from a country where cheese is neon-orange and comes in a fucking aerosol can!

Word.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Oct 2017, 13:15

America wins purely for BBQ.

It’s become a tiresome trope that British food is crap but really it’s time to consign that belief to the garbage bin I think. British food has improved immeasurably during my life time. No, our own cuisine cannot compete with France or Spains but then their mix of other cuisines can’t compete with ours I daresay. We are a mongrel nation and our food reflects this. I’m amazed by the variety and quality of food I can get in Edinburgh - and in other UK cities - and I certainly don’t consider it inferior to many other cities I’ve been to, including in America. I’d take London over New York for the record. Even traditional British food is actually pretty fabulous. Limited, yes but so what? Roast dinner? Fry ups? Sausages? Pies? Ploughmans lunch? Etc. Great stuff. We shouldn’t be embarrassed about this shit. We have some great traditional meals and wonderful ingredients and fabulous mix of world cuisines. We also have a tonne of great restaurants.

I think what America does really well is simple recipes cooked with good ingredients with large portions. Meals that cost around $10-15, that sorta thing. I think we are catching up but we have a bit to go. Plus they also have that customer focused culture which helps. Oh and BBQ.

A couple of other points. I’d love to try Creole food and certainly consider it American.

Cheese is massively important. If you can’t do cheese well you do lose some respect from me. In my experience you can get good cheese in America but not so much in the supermarket. We had some nice cheese in New York but it was from some kind of artisanal market thing.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Robert

Postby Robert » 17 Oct 2017, 15:44

Deebank wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Still Baron wrote:
Good point.

Is that still an issue?

You can get nice fresh produce anywhere in the world these days - it may even be flown in from the central valley!

I can see why he might roll his eyes at the idea of cheese being a big culinary deal but that's because he comes from a country where cheese is neon-orange and comes in a fucking aerosol can!

In the UK every region has its own unique and brilliant variation on the old fermented curd. I live 30 odd miles from Cheddar! Yes it's a real fucking place! And the cheese is great!!!

UK produces about 450.000 mt of Cheese. Of that, 125.000mt is exported. Total imports for the UK are 445.000mt. Of the 770.000mt you guys consume, 58% is imported.

On Cheddar, for every 3 kgs produced in the UK, 1,5 kgs are imported.

Some American Cheese may be orange but what'd you call this then?:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Oct 2017, 15:51

Robert wrote:
Deebank wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Is that still an issue?

UK produces about 450.000 mt of Cheese. Of that, 125.000mt is exported. Total imports for the UK are 445.000mt. Of the 770.000mt you guys consume, 58% is imported.

Is it Red Leicester?

That's pronounced lester by the way, not lyesester! :roll:

;)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Oct 2017, 16:28

Deebank wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Still Baron wrote:
Good point.

Is that still an issue?

I can see why he might roll his eyes at the idea of cheese being a big culinary deal but that's because he comes from a country where cheese is neon-orange and comes in a fucking aerosol can!!

No aerosol cheese.

And you call yourselves a cheese-producing nation.

Every cheese lover knows the best cheese includes noxious fumes.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Oct 2017, 16:31

When my wife and I were visiting England many years ago, an old friend of mine was married to a British guy who was a specialty food buyer, including cheese. Over pints, he told us the story of how some cheesemakers faked real orange in cheese. It's very interesting.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 17 Oct 2017, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Oct 2017, 16:32

sloopjohnc wrote:
Deebank wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Is that still an issue?

I can see why he might roll his eyes at the idea of cheese being a big culinary deal but that's because he comes from a country where cheese is neon-orange and comes in a fucking aerosol can!!

No aerosol cheese.

And you call yourselves a cheese-producing nation.

Every cheese lover knows the best cheese includes noxious fumes.

Nitrous oxide can be a lot of fun... But not in cheese :x

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Oct 2017, 16:38

sloopjohnc wrote:When my wife and I were visiting England many years ago, an old friend of mine was married to a British guy who was a specialty food buyer, including cheese. Over pints, he told us the story of how some cheesemakers faked real orange in cheese. It's very interesting.

It's true the colour is added (annatto) for aesthetic reasons - a practice that dates back 500 odd years. i don't think any cheese is naturally red or orange.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 17 Oct 2017, 16:39

Deebank wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:When my wife and I were visiting England many years ago, an old friend of mine was married to a British guy who was a specialty food buyer, including cheese. Over pints, he told us the story of how some cheesemakers faked real orange in cheese. It's very interesting.

It's true the colour is added (annatto) for aesthetic reasons - a practice that dates back 500 odd years. i don't think any cheese is naturally red or orange.

Not unless the cows have bleeding ulcers in their udders.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 17 Oct 2017, 16:40

I've often found that people are more sensitive about their food culture than anything else. You can insult their language, their manners, their capital cities, their TV, their pop music - and they might laugh, even agree with you. But have a go at their BREAD - ooooff!!!
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Oct 2017, 16:45

Goat Boy wrote:I think what America does really well is simple recipes cooked with good ingredients with large portions. Meals that cost around $10-15, that sorta thing. I think we are catching up but we have a bit to go. Plus they also have that customer focused culture which helps. Oh and BBQ.

Don't forget Mexican food.

I think you're largely correct. I live, however, in a region that prides itself on its choice of fine restaurants. I would bet that NYC, New Orleans, LA, just because of its size, are the only other US cities that can match San Francisco/Berkeley with the number of good restaurants. Throw in Napa/Sonoma an Carmel, and there are a ton of upper scale restaurants.

As a semi-regular visitor to the UK since 1979, I've eaten out a lot. It's gotten much better, and if memory serves, it was really the mid '90s when I was really begin noticing it all the way 'round and more than in just the largest cities and more affluent suburbs, which can afford those kind of meals.

Robert

Postby Robert » 17 Oct 2017, 17:45

Deebank wrote:
Robert wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Is that still an issue?

Is it Red Leicester?

That's pronounced lester by the way, not

;)

No it's Cheddar ( pronounced Chedduh)

:P
Last edited by Robert on 17 Oct 2017, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Robert

Postby Robert » 17 Oct 2017, 17:49

Deebank wrote:

The most important reason cheesemakers have been using it since counting began,is to create an even colour the whole year through. It would otherwise vary from white to yellow, depfnding on the season.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Oct 2017, 17:50

Robert wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Robert wrote:

Is it Red Leicester?

No, it's Cheddar. ( pronounced Chedduh)

;)

There ain't many cows in Westminster :?

Robert

Postby Robert » 17 Oct 2017, 17:54

Deebank wrote:
Robert wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Is it Red Leicester?

No, it's Cheddar. ( pronounced Chedduh)

;)

Neither are there many tobacco farms in Kent or Pall Mall for that matter.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Oct 2017, 17:58

Robert wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Robert wrote:

Neither are there many tobacco farms in Kent or Pall Mall for that matter.

But wait! It's bloody American!

The Westminster brand was launched in the USA. Crafted by hand and graded three times prior to selection, the delicious cheddar is lovingly created with milk that comes from cows that are free to roam and graze on rich, lush pasture in Somerset and Cheshire.

Made with our milk! Bloody cheek! :x

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 05 Dec 2018, 23:36

what's this FROZEN YOH-GURT shit?
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.