Lump it
27%
Shove it
32%

Total votes: 22

Jimbo

Do you like your job?

Postby Jimbo » 06 May 2014, 12:40

Some survey I read about said an astounding number of people hate their jobs, that they spend a third of almost every day doing something they hate. Me, I hate my job. Though it is a pretty easy gig, when I think about it, especially for some reason when I pee, I always think I would so much rather be elsewhere than at my job. I mean, there are people whom I don't particularly respect telling me what to do. Jimmy do this. Jimmy do that. And I'll do it but I won't like it. :x
... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

Ray K.

Re: Do you like your job?

Postby Ray K. » 06 May 2014, 12:55

Mostly I like it quite a bit. I need to get better at managing my clients though. I'm too soft a touch at times which results in me (a) getting paid less than I should and (b) letting the clients' problems become mine. I'm also coming to grips with more administrative tasks since my partner left... within a few weeks my internet was shut off because I had failed to pay the bill.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 06 May 2014, 13:07

I'd be very surprised if anyone who is employed by another person or corporation could honestly say they "love" their job.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 May 2014, 13:09

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I'd be very surprised if anyone who is employed by another person or corporation could honestly say they "love" their job.

I can.
Employed by Australia's largest entertainment product retailer, selling/buying CDs and DVDs to my hearts' content....coming up to 15 years with this firm.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 06 May 2014, 14:17

Been self employed as a writer for the best part of 15 years.

Have never, ever considered returning to full-time work.

Now routinely refuse on-site meetings and retainer deals and even
dodge out of taking calls from clients when I can.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 May 2014, 14:34

Full-time Dad - so YES!

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 06 May 2014, 14:39

Yes I work for a large corporation and have been at it for over 23 years now. And I do love it. Always interesting and challenging. It has other rewards too which is nice. The people here are the absolute best. Well, most of them anyway.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 06 May 2014, 14:53

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I'd be very surprised if anyone who is employed by another person or corporation could honestly say they "love" their job.

I love mine. Employed by one of the UK's most reputable charities. Not the best paid job ever, but non-corporate which is a good thing for me. Heaps of job satisfaction, every day is different and brings rewards and challenges and surprises. I like to be kept on my toes. Keeps my brain working and lots of lateral thinking required. Been doing it for 20 years now ( 1st two years as voluntary work)

Love it even more since the job moved to be based at the council offices. Couldn't wish for a nicer, more supportive, funnier group of people.

I would be crap at being self-employed.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 May 2014, 15:16

I don't mind parts of it. The people I work with are mostly great but the volunteers I deal with are the biggest load of cunts on the planet.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 06 May 2014, 15:21

I'm self employed (DJ for events - parties, weddings, shit like that), but...yeah, I'm kind of "over it" at the moment. Clients are generally kind, sweet and reasonable people - far more often than not - but...I'm finding lately that my own ability to summon genuine personal enthusiasm for the work at hand is coming less naturally than before. Enthusiasm is - rightly - a massively crucial element of what I do, and...when and if I find myself occasionally "phoning it in", it really does feel like some massive betrayal of my trade, my clients, and myself. I suppose any person can suffer periodic burnout.

It's a hell of a gig, though. Set your own prices, offer more generous deals to friends and families (couldn't have done either of these with an agency), and...pre-production involves getting drunk with the clients about half the time (these are the ones who encourage that you eat and drink like a king on the job). ALSO - most crucially, 9/10 events are on weekends, which means I get to be a full time Dad for the other 5-6 days out of the week.

So...yeah, optimal conditions, wonderful pay (people will pay a lot for a guy with impeccable Yelp! reviews and some assurance that their big day won't get fucked), perfect hours. My personal fatigue may just be a symptom of doing ANYTHING for X number of years.

der nister

Postby der nister » 06 May 2014, 15:24

Piggly Wiggly wrote:I'm self employed (DJ for events - parties, weddings, shit like that), but...yeah, I'm kind of "over it" at the moment. Clients are generally kind, sweet and reasonable people - far more often than not - but...I'm finding lately that my own ability to summon genuine personal enthusiasm for the work at hand is coming less naturally than before. Enthusiasm is - rightly - a massively crucial element of what I do, and...when and if I find myself occasionally "phoning it in", it really does feel like some massive betrayal of my trade, my clients, and myself. I suppose any person can suffer periodic burnout.

It's a hell of a gig, though. Set your own prices, offer more generous deals to friends and families (couldn't have done either of these with an agency), and...pre-production involves getting drunk with the clients about half the time (these are the ones who encourage that you eat and drink like a king on the job). ALSO - most crucially, 9/10 events are on weekends, which means I get to be a full time Dad for the other 5-6 days out of the week.

So...yeah, optimal conditions, wonderful pay (people will pay a lot for a guy with impeccable Yelp! reviews and some assurance that their big day won't get fucked), perfect hours. My personal fatigue may just be a symptom of doing ANYTHING for X number of years.

i always thought you were in tv behind the scenes

regarding djing, is there a narrow or broad spectrum of tunes chosen

how much leeway do you have introducing stuff?
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 06 May 2014, 15:46

zphage wrote:regarding djing, is there a narrow or broad spectrum of tunes chosen

Every client claims their picks to be broad and/or eclectic, but...more often than not, the demands tend to be rather stock (there are the "these songs are presently popular" folks, there are the "I grew up in the 80s!" people, and...yeah, occasionally the "give us our favorites from all eras and don't exclude the young/old/middle aged guests" inclusive types. The general and recurring demand that the programme consist of "stuff people know" seems entirely appropriate for the kind of events I do - I can't imagine that I need to break out the Lee Hazelwood album tracks to school a bunch of revellers on someone's big day.

how much leeway do you have introducing stuff?

Some. I guess it depends. There are occasional clients who will lay a rather massive, rigid and inflexible list on me (always a day or two before the event, after months of hands off "it's all good" assurances that I can "do my thing") - you wonder why they don't just get an iPod. Others seem more like "here's what we like - use it as a guide, not as a prison" - this is optimal. I mean, my job/goal is to help people have fun, keep them drinking and dancing, etc...so, my idea of "reading the crowd" and "winging it" is a little different than what I do at home. But...after two decades of this shit, I prefer to be given a bit of freedom to do just that. I've had these awful people (who, nonetheless, pay my bills) insist that I not deviate from their awful party-killing list of indie rock favorites...try getting a party going with that shit (usually, my M.O. is to shove all that precious stuff into the dinner/cocktail corridor where it has no opportunity to actually ruin our lives/night). So...the types of chances I take aren't really all THAT bold.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 06 May 2014, 16:01

Yes, love it!
Pre-shool teacher for 38 years now!
But its a struggle, with all the new and stupid regulations from above,
administrations and politicians makes it very hard for us to do a proper work,
that one can be proud of.
But you fight it and be happy with what you can achieve
and as long as the children and their parents are happy
I guess one is doing something right after all
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 06 May 2014, 16:05

ConnyOlivetti wrote:as long as the children and their parents are happy

As the parent of a pre-schooler, I'd say there IS no other metric.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 06 May 2014, 16:09

Piggly Wiggly wrote:
ConnyOlivetti wrote:as long as the children and their parents are happy

As the parent of a pre-schooler, I'd say there IS no other metric.

:D
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 06 May 2014, 17:09

I've liked it for most of my career, but I like it less with each passing year. Age takes its toll when it comes to facile interface with new computer programs, etc. I'm joining a new project team this week after two miserable years on a Continuing Care Residential Community down in Florida. I can't wait to get off that f***ing project.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 06 May 2014, 17:21

I've had many jobs through the years, so my answer ("love it") is a generalization. While I've disliked certain aspects of some jobs (mostly personality clashes with somebody or another), I've had a pretty damned good time.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 May 2014, 18:08

Beats the hell out of no job.

I like my boss. She doesn't micro-manage. She'll outline what I have to do, then tell me to go do it, and only bother her if I have questions. I like the people I work with for the most part too.

The work can get monotonous, and I wish it were more money (who doesn't?)

On the whole it's not too objectionable, compared to other things I've done for money. I wouldn't do it for free.

My 'side jobs' - music and writing- are great, but it would take more self-promotion and hustle than I have in me to be able to make a living at them, and after all that I'd probably just be eeking by. I think what I'm doing now is a decent compromise.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 06 May 2014, 18:50

Yeah, I'm closer to "love" than anything else. Decent hours, pay, and benefits. The best bosses I've ever had. Intellectually stimulating work that plays to my strengths. There's the chance that I could make a lot more money if I went out into private practice, but I would have to work much harder, deal with deadlines and much more stress, and I wouldn't get to deal with all the cool issues I see in my current gig. And the potential for more money also comes with the strong possibility of much less money and the certainty of less ... certainty. This job comes with some frustrations, but they're pretty small potatoes. I would say I'm lucky, and in the grand scheme I am, but I also planned it this way.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 May 2014, 20:38

It's great when everybody is in a good mood. Everybody is often in a good mood.
Minnie the Minx wrote:There’s no law that says you can’t have heroin AND bagels! It’s not either or!