Big Local News...what's yours?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
pcqgod

Re: Big Local News...what's yours?

Postby pcqgod » 20 Feb 2015, 14:52

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 26 Feb 2015, 18:34

Someone just committed suicide by jumping in front of the subway train that Mrs. SG and our daughter were on. Not big news and not yet even in the news, but pretty freaky. Fortunately, Clementine was asleep for the whole thing.
Jimbo wrote: And if there is war with Russia, a lot of people will die, maybe the east coast will vanish, but still and all, shit will work out.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 30 May 2015, 23:02

This sign appeared on our local roundabout a few days ago and everyone's racking their brains as to what
it means... :?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 31 May 2015, 00:29

Snarfyguy wrote:Someone just committed suicide by jumping in front of the subway train that Mrs. SG and our daughter were on. Not big news and not yet even in the news, but pretty freaky. Fortunately, Clementine was asleep for the whole thing.

Oh christ, that's horrible. And I can top it!

No, it really is awful. I was in the front car when I heard the thump. I looked up and there was this kid who'd been standing behind the window watching the drivers and his face showed that he'd just seen something very bad. Thank goodness I couldn't see anything gruesome but I did watch a crew climb down to the tracks and some minutes later walk away with somebody on a stretcher covered by a yellow tarp. But that poor kid - and the drivers - saw way too much.
I love you.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 31 May 2015, 04:38

Earthquakes. There was a doozy last night. The intensity was less here than at the epicenter but still our apartment swayed like a ship in a gentle rolling sea for over a minute.
I love you.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 31 May 2015, 15:14

toomanyhatz wrote:I honestly don't care for most Beach Boys car songs

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 31 May 2015, 21:30

Samoan wrote:This sign appeared on our local roundabout a few days ago and everyone's racking their brains as to what

I think it means that the image you linked to doesn't work.

Hope this helps.
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 31 May 2015, 22:05

PENK wrote:
Samoan wrote:This sign appeared on our local roundabout a few days ago and everyone's racking their brains as to what

I think it means that the image you linked to doesn't work.

Hope this helps.

huhh, I see it at my end. Ta, Penk. What about this?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Jun 2015, 12:56

It indicates that Spoony Shelob is around to the left... I hope this helps.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 01 Jun 2015, 13:55

Deebank wrote:It indicates that Spoony Shelob is around to the left... I hope this helps.

Good thinking, Lewis.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 02 Jun 2015, 13:43

An 18 year old lad got stabbed outside the Co Op on the High Street yesterday afternoon.
Apparently he has died of his injuries and a 16 year old girl has been arrested.

What is this world coming to?

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/13216 ... _year_old/
Ah but I was so much younger then.
I'm older than that now.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 02 Jun 2015, 15:02

Jimbo wrote: And if there is war with Russia, a lot of people will die, maybe the east coast will vanish, but still and all, shit will work out.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 01 Aug 2015, 20:33

Mermaid Fin

Does anyone have a mermaid tail (complete with propene monofin) for swimming they'd like to sell?
Alternatively can you offer me any advice about the best one to buy and the best site to buy it from?

My daughter wants one (complete with shiny tail cover). All help much appreciated.

JQW

Postby JQW » 03 Aug 2015, 13:41

A political corruption story that's constantly heading in new directions.

It started a couple of years ago when the then mayor was arrested on a charge of fraud, pertaining to the disappearance of money an ice-cream vendor paid for a pitch on the market square. The mayor spent the remaining few months of his tenure out of the limelight, but remained on the parish council.

The mayor was a member of a local party who perversely call themselves Independents. The arrest led to several members of the party jumping ship to one of the national ones.

A year or so later the former mayor was convicted. It was revealed at his trial that he had gambling debts of around £30,000. Despite the conviction, he remained on the parish council.

This May the parish council was up for re-election. There's 15 seats in total, spread across three wards. The ex-mayor stood, and was re-elected, although the fact that there were only six candidates meant it was inevitable that he'd get back in.

Then the fun started. The council put him in charge of the Finance Committee of all things. News on this spread rapidly, and even warranted a mention in Private Eye's "Rotten Boroughs" column. (Incidentally, he's made that column before, as he was booted out of the Lib Dems after making abusive phone calls to other Councillors when he was a serving member of the Borough Council)

He's now been moved out of that position, but it now transpires that he has a business registered at the address of the current mayor, a rather dim woman who proved herself somewhat inept when attempting to chair a recent public meeting, and a fellow member of the same political group. As neither of them declared this when they registered their interests, they have both technically committed an offence.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 03 Aug 2015, 17:13

Something about Cilla Black
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Aug 2015, 20:53

Samoan wrote:Mermaid Fin

Does anyone have a mermaid tail (complete with propene monofin) for swimming they'd like to sell?
Alternatively can you offer me any advice about the best one to buy and the best site to buy it from?

My daughter wants one (complete with shiny tail cover). All help much appreciated.

We got one for our granddaughter last year. I can ask my wife where we bought it but I think it was at Target. I know you don't live in the U.S. but I'm sure you could get one. I had no idea of the popularity of such a thing but then I'm not ten either.

Our big news besides the drought (see Baron's post to see where all our water went) is the number of wild fires within a hundred miles of me (three major ones). The fire in Lake County went from 8,000 acres the first day to over 80,000 acres yesterday with only 5% contained. :shock: Last Friday a trailer park at a marina on the delta about forty miles or so south of me caught fire from a grass fire and because of the proximity of the homes and some propane tanks that couldn't be shut off the fire jumped from home to home burning four or five to the ground and more of them damaged quite a bit. The firemen were able to prevent the fire from spreading beyond the marina but the few families who lived their year around (most are vacation homes) were the ones who lost their homes completely. No one was injured though, fortunately. We knew the fire season was going to be bad but it has really exceeded that in my mind and we still have a few months to go before any possibility of rain.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Aug 2015, 21:24

Local spa shut down for prostitution - Looks like you could get a hand job and visit the Dairy Queen across the street afterwards:

REDWOOD CITY -- Two women were arrested on suspicion of soliciting prostitution and aiding in prostitution after undercover agents investigated their day spa, police said.

On Monday, Redwood City detectives went undercover at the Seven Stars Day Spa at 615 Woodside Road, Unit 5, to investigate complaints of prostitution activity, police said.

Officers received several complaints from neighboring businesses about potential illegal activity at the business. Around 5:45 p.m., an undercover officer walked into the spa for a massage and was solicited by 35-year-old San Francisco resident Ping Zhou, according to police.

But when detectives entered the spa, they found the spa had an elaborate early warning system to alert the employees of police presence.

Daly City resident Lai Yen Leong, 46, had a hand-held remote control that let her flash the lights in the spa to signal the arrival of police, which she did when officers arrived Monday, police said.

During a search of the day spa, detectives found condoms and other contraband linked to prostitution activity.

Detectives arrested Leong on suspicion of aiding in prostitution and Zhou was arrested on suspicion of solicitation of prostitution.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Aug 2015, 06:40

The fire less than 100 miles NW of me may end up being the largest and most devastating of the year and it's not even 20% contained. The area is populated but spread out. The towns are smaller but close together. It's a lot of vineyards and orchards as well. Still, there are homes going up. Veteran firefighters with thirty hears experience say they've never seen a fire move like that one. They tried to make a stand at Highway 20 but the fire jumped over the road and who knows where it's going to stop. If I was north of that fire in a canyon I would be packing anything that mattered to me.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 04 Aug 2015, 08:13

The ever-charming Sweden Democrats - last heard from when a councillor in a west-coast town was arrested after being found in the company of a neo-Nazi activist, 550 kilos of dynamite and a load of primers - have taken further steps to demonstrate their goodwill to all men by taking out giant billboard ads on the Stockholm metro apologising to tourists for the number of Eastern European beggars on the streets.
What a lovely bunch!
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 04 Aug 2015, 12:56

Six String wrote:The fire less than 100 miles NW of me may end up being the largest and most devastating of the year and it's not even 20% contained. The area is populated but spread out. The towns are smaller but close together. It's a lot of vineyards and orchards as well. Still, there are homes going up. Veteran firefighters with thirty hears experience say they've never seen a fire move like that one. They tried to make a stand at Highway 20 but the fire jumped over the road and who knows where it's going to stop. If I was north of that fire in a canyon I would be packing anything that mattered to me.

Very sad to read about such loss of peoples' homes .
I do hope your immediate neighbourhood continues to be unaffected and safe.

Return to “Nextdoorland”