Big Local News...what's yours?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
borofan

Re: Big Local News...what's yours?

Postby borofan » 03 Nov 2013, 13:22

WARNING ISSUED AFTER CHIMNEY FIRE IN BINGLEY

12:06pm Sunday 3rd November 2013 in News

Firefighters have issued a warning after tackling a chimney fire at a house in Bingley.

Crews were called to a terraced property on Charles Street at 8pm on Saturday.

A spokesman for the fire service said the fire started because the chimney had not been swept for four years.

He also said that the property’s woodburner didn’t have a door on it.

He added: “Winter is coming and people are lighting their fires. It is important to maintain your woodburner and get either the flue or the chimney swept annually.”

The fire was contained to the chimney and caused no damage inside the house. The family in the property were unharmed.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Nov 2013, 13:37

Big Trev, who ran the village football team and was a member of perennial local pub quiz wooden spoonists confused.com, was killed on Tuesday when the artic (Murrikans, that's English slang for a semi) he was driving slammed into another in front of him, and the container he was hauling ended up in his cab. Apparently, Trev's older brother, also a trucker, died in a very similar way a few years ago, before I moved to the village.
This is the biggest news in Sandford for quite a while, and means we can finally stop talking the weather for a bit
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Nov 2013, 15:08

I live near Washington, D.C. Nothing much ever happens here.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Nov 2013, 15:26

Cow on road stops traffic moo-ving on
10:30am Thursday 31st October 2013 in Wallingford .

A cow briefly blocked a road in Wheatley yesterday at about 8.30am.

The animal’s appearance on Sworford Lane caused traffic delays until it was eventually moved on by police.

Meanwhile, in Abingdon, drivers faced delays after a lorry broke down on a busy road. Traffic delays were reported yesterday for a short period from about 8am on the A415 Marcham Road in Abingdon. The problems were witnessed on the westbound stretch of the road between the A34 Marcham Interchange and the A338.
-----------------------------------------

It's all go in Wallingford.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 03 Nov 2013, 15:46

Husband bashes head of wife in on the steps of the church.

True story.

Wife is alive and out of mortal danger.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 03 Nov 2013, 20:50

This Is Local London news, sport, jobs, cars, homes, leisure and local information from around the capital.

Trick-or-treating Orpington youngsters handed real lamb's heart on Halloween

2:40pm Friday 1st November 2013 in News By Patrick Grafton-Green

The lamb's heart was handed to the youngsters in Orpington last night.
A GROUP of trick-or-treating youngsters were handed a lamb's heart by a woman in a bloodied butcher's apron brandishing a fake knife who chased them down the street. ...
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

watts

Postby watts » 03 Nov 2013, 21:07

It's a week old (but my local paper is weekly)
No one home for shootout with police

Whitefish Police evacuated the Chair 3 Apartments and nearby businesses Monday at around noon after getting a report from Veterans Administration officials about a resident who allegedly said he was going to have a shootout with police and kill himself.

Officers set up a perimeter and attempted to communicate with the man. “But lo and behold, it all turned out good, because he wasn’t there,” said Whitefish Police Chief Bill Dial. “He came riding up on his bike asked what was going on.”

The man was then detained for a mental health evaluation.

And from the other local papers:

At Least a Dozen Wolf Packs in Blackfoot Valley

Woman denies driving drunk with kids in car
Last edited by watts on 03 Nov 2013, 21:15, edited 2 times in total.
--m

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 03 Nov 2013, 21:13

This was the most eyecatcing story of the week in the Exeter Express & Echo:

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Exeter-pubs-platinum-loo-awards/story-20021253-detail/story.html

Three pubs in Exeter have won acclaim for the quality and standards of their toilets – in the Loo of the Year Awards 2013.

The Chevalier Inn in Fore Street, George’s Meeting House in South Street and The Sawyer’s Arms in Cowick Street have all been awarded a platinum star rating by inspectors – the highest award possible.

The awards are aimed at highlighting and improving standards of ‘away from home’ toilet provision across the UK.

Authorised inspectors make unannounced visits to hundreds of toilets at sites across the UK, in order to judge them.

All of the toilets are graded from bronze to gold with unacceptable toilets not graded at all.

The platinum rating is given only to outlets which offer “exceptional toilets”.

The toilets are judged against numerous criteria, including décor and maintenance, cleanliness, accessibility, hand washing and drying equipment and overall management.

Simon Davies, pub manager at The Chevalier Inn, said: “I am delighted with the award. Staff at the pub work hard to ensure the toilets are in first-class condition at all times and it is great that this has been recognised by the inspectors.”

The Loo of the Year Awards 2013 managing director, Mike Bone, said: “The toilets at all three pubs have been designed and fitted out to a very high standard and are both clean and well maintained.

“The pubs richly deserve their platinum awards – the highest individual award the judges can deliver.”
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 04 Nov 2013, 11:39

It's in Swedish, of course, but the headline on the front page of this week's local paper is about the expensive new ventilation system in a local school being really noisy.
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 04 Nov 2013, 14:07

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 04 Nov 2013, 14:07

GARDAI INVESTIGATING CLAIMS THAT CARS WERE RACING BEFORE ROAD SMASH

November 4, 2013
GARDAI INVESTIGATING CLAIMS THAT CARS WERE RACING BEFORE ROAD SMASH
Gardai are investigating claims that last night’s horrific road smash in Buncrana happened after a road racing incident.

One man is in a serious condition in hospital after the smash just before 11pm in Lisfannon.

Another man, believed to be the driver of the other car, fled the scene and a full investigation has been launched.

A BMW car and a Honda car have both been detained by Gardai for examination.

Both young men are from local families.

The incident sparked a major operation involving both Gardai and emergency...
fueryIre wrote:Deluded by the belief that what is said on chat boards reflects reality or carries any kind of weight in the day-to-day world

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 14 Nov 2013, 21:30

I've been checking news back in my original hometown of Mansfield, which currently reports that a man dressed as a clown has been spotted in various locations, including my birthplace, Kings Mill Hospital. Also, local swimmer Rebecca Adlington is now appearing in I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here. But the big news is that this year's local pantomime has been advertised a little more widely than had been intended:

Mansfield panto ad appears on Dundee billboard

The Mansfield pantomime had their advert accidentally plastered across a Dundee billboard — more than 350 miles away from their production.

Oh, yes, they did.

A billboard in Dundee advertises this year’s Cinderella performance in Mansfield Palace Theatre, which is more than five-and-a-half hours’ drive from Tayside.

Mansfield District Council, which is supporting the performance, said that the advert had been put in place by accident.

Mayor Egginton said: “Mansfield Palace Theatre recognises that although we do draw audiences from far and wide, even we don’t have customers travelling from as far as Dundee! However, if anyone from the area wishes to attend our panto they would be made very welcome.

“We can confirm Mansfield District Council has not ordered or paid for any advertisement in Dundee. It appears to have been posted on the billboard in error by the advertising company and will be removed as soon as possible.”

Mansfield’s production is starring Ruth Madoc, of Hi-De-Hi fame, as the Fairy Godmother and Dave Benson Phillips — the former presenter of kids’ show Get Your Own Back — as Buttons.

The Trades Lane advert also boasts Shetland ponies appearing live on stage.

Shoppers in Dundee said they did not think the advert would encourage folk to make the trip down south for the panto.

Gloria Lowden, from Downfield, said she loves the local pantomimes, but still would not think of taking the 674-mile round trip. The 70-year-old said: “I go to pantomimes at the Gardyne College, the Whitehall and the Rep, but I don’t think folk would go to Mansfield.

“They wouldn’t have the 
money and we’ve got great ones here. I love a panto but I still wouldn’t go.”

Gillian Stewart, 29, from Douglas, said she would be surprised to see any folk from Dundee heading down for the performance. She said: “I can’t see anyone going that far. It seems daft to advertise it up here. I don’t reckon they will get anyone from Dundee going to it.”

Alasdair Irvine, a 21-year-old biomedical science student, said: “It’s a bit of a surprise to see an advert here. It doesn’t make sense.”

JQW

Postby JQW » 14 Nov 2013, 22:03

Local man not hurt by typhoon.

Some guff regarding the son of a local woman being out in the Philippines, and unhurt. The article manages to fill up the entire front page without saying anything at all.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 15 Nov 2013, 08:46

JQW wrote:Local man not hurt by typhoon.

Some guff regarding the son of a local woman being out in the Philippines, and unhurt. The article manages to fill up the entire front page without saying anything at all.

Sorry, but despite the enormous tragedy in the Philippines, this one made me laugh. Something epic and being worldwide news for a week getting downsized to a highly local and info-free item...
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Rated B

Postby Rated B » 15 Nov 2013, 08:54

"Bristol man charged with drug offence after van chase in Brislington"

Police had initially believed a substance seized after the van was stopped in King's Road on Monday evening was cocaine.

(Suspected cocaine worth up to £640,000 on street seized after police chase in Brislington, Bristol)

But prosecutors now claim it was close to 4kg of the banned class B stimulant mephedrone, also known as M-Cat or meow meow.

The street value of the drug was estimated at about £60,000.

Not a bad haul. What sort of idiot carries about 4 kilos of powered drugs in the back of their van? :D
And if I come in on a donkey, let me go out on a gurney

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 15 Nov 2013, 09:16

Rated B wrote:Not a bad haul. What sort of idiot carries about 4 kilos of powered drugs in the back of their van? :D

A delivery guy :D ? I used to carry weight around on public transport, but I might have used a vehicle if I knew how.
The really dumb move was getting stopped; he must have broken dealer's rule number one – never commit another crime, however trivial – or he wouldn't have been stopped and searched. Unless the police knew he had drugs anyway.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Rated B

Postby Rated B » 15 Nov 2013, 09:38

In your sign-written works van, though? I mean...
And if I come in on a donkey, let me go out on a gurney

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 15 Nov 2013, 09:42

Rated B wrote:In your sign-written works van, though? I mean...

I guess that van read 'Meow Meow Cat Food' on its sides?

Anyways, from the halcyon days when that stuff was still legal (I presume):

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... m-off.html

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 15 Nov 2013, 11:55

WEEKS after it was announced street art in Chichester was to be scrubbed, there still is no sign of it disappearing.

The large blue fox on the side of 43, North Street, is still on display.

Underneath, someone has written: “Painting over this piece of art would be a disgusting waste.”

In response to an enquiry from the Observer, a Chichester District Council spokeswoman said: “We are continuing to liaise with the Chichester Street Art Festival organisers and building owners over the removal of artwork at 43 North Street, which is a listed building, and also at other sensitive locations.

“Things are progressing and we’ve seen signs that removal work is starting to happen.

“We will continue to liaise with the organisers and monitor the situation.”

The controversial art angered some city councillors, but drew widespread support from others.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 15 Nov 2013, 12:19

I love art. We all at BCB do, I suppose.

But I am not too keen on unsolicited 'street art'. Although a piece itself may be OK, it disturbs general perception and disrupts attention with yours truly.

Same for graffiti. This is in 99% of cases dreadfully ugly anyway.

And I am no old grouch. I consider these things as an intrusion in my personal, inner freedom and peace of mind.

And you?

Return to “Nextdoorland”