Bath or shower?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Well?

Bath only
10%
Shower only
55%
Bath & shower (either as one or separate)
35%

Total votes: 20

trans-chigley express

Re: Bath or shower?

Postby trans-chigley express » 31 Jul 2013, 00:51

I have both a shower room and a bath room. Luxury. 99% of the time I take a shower (showers with unconstant temperatures are either from the stone age or Britain) but occassionally a bath is just what you need for aching muscles.

If I had to choose it would be shower for sure.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 31 Jul 2013, 01:06

Snarfyguy wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:The fact that kids have to have baths has cropped up a couple of times. Now, I have kids and we bath them like everyone else seems to, but is there any reason for that and any real reason why we can't shower them instead? The state they get in, a wet room and a hose makes most sense.

Depends how old they are, I suppose.

Our two year old is afraid of the shower.

You couldnt put a newborn baby in a shower either
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Maryann

Postby Maryann » 31 Jul 2013, 03:07

shower only... no patience to sit in the bathtub, although there have been times when it's actually been quite nice and relaxing...

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 31 Jul 2013, 13:16

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I actively dislike baths. Sitting in that scum, surrounded by your own filth as the tepid water gets colder. There's a reason bubble-bath was invented: so you can't see what you're immersed in.

A few decades back, before Brits embraced the shower thing, those Australians used to think we were disgusting, soaking in our own schmuck !
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 31 Jul 2013, 13:23

Samoan wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:I actively dislike baths. Sitting in that scum, surrounded by your own filth as the tepid water gets colder. There's a reason bubble-bath was invented: so you can't see what you're immersed in.

A few decades back, before Brits embraced the shower thing, those Australians used to think we were disgusting, soaking in our own schmuck !

They still think we are disgusting because we don't rinse our dishes after washing them up.

And for many other reasons, too, I am sure.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Jul 2013, 13:31

Shower, for reasons already stated. Plus my bathroom is so small, if I were to fit in a washing machine, it might have to go in the shower or under the sink! No room for tub or "ofuro".
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 31 Jul 2013, 13:38

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Samoan wrote:

They still think we are disgusting because we don't rinse our dishes after washing them up.

And for many other reasons, too, I am sure.

Australians wash & rinse their dishes?? :shock:

I thought they just spat on them and wiped slightly.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 31 Jul 2013, 13:40

I have a very deep old bath with a shower attachment and mixer taps fitted to one end and I tend to have a daily *sit-down shower* so to speak. A bit like this but not with so much of the over-the-top retro ceramic frou frou.

I only fill the bath tub when I'm going to be washing my hair so I can lie back and get the suds off thoroughly and massage my scalp. Then I rinse off the second shampooing load of suds holding the shower attachment and the same with the conditioner. Then I bathe. Then I do the sit-down shower thing again using the handheld shower attachment after the water's all run out of the bath.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 31 Jul 2013, 13:43

Samoan wrote:I have a very deep old bath with a shower attachment and mixer taps fitted to one end and I tend to have a daily *sit-down shower* so to speak. A bit like this but not with so much of the over-the-top retro ceramic frou frou.

I only fill the bath tub when I'm going to be washing my hair so I can lie back and get the suds off thoroughly and massage my scalp. Then I rinse off the second shampooing load of suds holding the shower attachment and the same with the conditioner. Then I bathe. Then I do the sit-down shower thing again using the handheld shower attachment after the water's all run out of the bath.

That is one option but I'd rather stand up in the shower. Victorian baths with a wall shower and spash door thing aren't very plentiful in B&Q

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 31 Jul 2013, 15:11

Shower. I waste little time in there. I'm a very efficient showerer. I'm in and out inside five minutes. Not having hair to shampoo cuts down my shower time.
a gibbon running freely

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 31 Jul 2013, 15:14

If you decide to get a walk-in shower stall, will you be going with a prefab unit, or a custom built tile enclosure?
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Maryann

Postby Maryann » 31 Jul 2013, 15:14

i'm picturing each and every one of you all soaped up now....

Maryann

Postby Maryann » 31 Jul 2013, 15:16

my dream shower stall:

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 31 Jul 2013, 15:22

Harvey K-Tel wrote:If you decide to get a walk-in shower stall, will you be going with a prefab unit, or a custom built tile enclosure?

I think this kind of thing looks pretty good but the thought that it might be difficult to sell on to a young family with a child is proving food for thought.
Especially with it being so close to a school and hospital

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 31 Jul 2013, 15:27

The Prof wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:If you decide to get a walk-in shower stall, will you be going with a prefab unit, or a custom built tile enclosure?

I think this kind of thing looks pretty good but the thought that it might be difficult to sell on to a young family with a child is proving food for thought.
Especially with it being so close to a school and hospital

I recently had to rebuild our shower, 'cause the guy who first built it did a really shitty job. At one point there was water coming through the ceiling light fixture directly below the bathroom.
If you do go for something like what you pictured, just make sure that whoever builds it doesn't cut any corners whatsoever. Water will always find a way through if there is one, and it can do a fuck of a lot of damage if it does.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 31 Jul 2013, 15:38

I'd heard that rumour.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 01 Aug 2013, 03:47

I remember in some old Bond book, he explained why he didn't take baths -- something about swimming in all that crud that had just been washed off him.

Wouldn't you know, that was the one life lesson I'd take from James Bond!
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Aug 2013, 03:52

The Prof wrote:We're looking at putting in a new bathroom suite in at home and one of the options is to remove the bath all together and just have a large walk in shower.
I'm curious to find out how many people just have a shower.
I'm guessing a lot of people would like to have a bath in even if they shower all the time.
Would it put you off buying a house with no bath?

Anyway there's nowt wrong with your bathroom. Leave the fucking thing where it is!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 01 Aug 2013, 04:28

If you are a bath enthusiast come to Japan. If you're not so enthusiastic come anyway. They have showers here, too.

It's too bad but because you share the bathwater (and often the bath tub) you generally can't take a bubble or a scented bath but many baths have a heat control which keeps the water warm.
Question authority.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 01 Aug 2013, 21:06

Nikki Gradual wrote:I like showers. Don't need anything else so I wouldn't care. However, to not have a bath does apparently devalue your home.

This.

Listen to what the man said.

Seconded.

&cetera.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Return to “Nextdoorland”