How's the garden doing?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
echolalia

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby echolalia » 21 May 2016, 20:27

My flatpack tulips of upthread fame mutated into this glossy, flopulent thing on the left (shown with Minky for scale). The photo's from March though and now the leaves are rotting away:

Pigface:

Garden last night, lashed by rain:

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 21 May 2016, 20:31

Just somebody called Colin wrote:

AND, i forgot to chit them, fingers crossed .

Never chitted my sweet peas and never intend to. Usually I soak them in blood warm water for an hour prior to planting but didn't last year, it made no discernible difference. Your only enemy is time, I'd expect yours to be flowering from late August. Just keep picking them once they are.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Jun 2016, 12:24

John aka Josh wrote:

Never chitted my sweet peas and never intend to. Usually I soak them in blood warm water for an hour prior to planting but didn't last year, it made no discernible difference. Your only enemy is time, I'd expect yours to be flowering from late August. Just keep picking them once they are.

Yep, never chit sweet peas.
The ones in my picture I bought as plug plants, as I don't currently have the room in shelter to bring them on over winter. They are a heritage variety and were planted out three weeks ago and are have been flowering for the past ten days.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Jun 2016, 12:40

And here's the latest batch of garden square photos, dating from 3-8 May:

Pansies
Planted these and some stocks around my new fig tree (in a wooden planter) for winter interest, and they are really enjoying the environment

Colour Wheel
Stocks, pansies and a heuchera provide colour and scent just outside the front door

Primula
Not sure what kind, probably a polyanthus, but love the colour combo

Golden pond
Yellows from broom, marsh marigolds and distant privets

Sheen
A tulip unfolds

'Lawn'
Wide angle view down the hill from just outside the outbuildings

Splashed colour

Territory
Scrap disports on what is officially a wildflower and grass meadow on the eastern slopes

Red
Mahonia leaves

Starburst
Camassia flower
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

That's no place to be dad, (Colin).

Postby That's no place to be dad, (Colin). » 02 Jun 2016, 23:16

Rayge wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:

Yep, never chit sweet peas.
The ones in my picture I bought as plug plants, as I don't currently have the room in shelter to bring them on over winter. They are a heritage variety and were planted out three weeks ago and are have been flowering for the past ten days.

right so back to this discussion about "TO CHIT or NOT TO CHIT".I forgot to chit but the concensus of the two pea growers is that is doesn't matter,have to concur now as mine are now thru no problem.,3 to a pot .Hoping for good weather now to hurry them on as they be very late in summer to get flowering .The climate in Aus favours josh, on the banks of the mighty bourne,and rayge's are already flowering :o
Godspeed my poor peas-- you will not deter me !!, :) please note they are heritage types .
TELL ME THAT SHE'S GORGEOUS,I LOVE HER,

the problem is she's in New Delhi....

That's no place to be dad, (Colin).

Postby That's no place to be dad, (Colin). » 09 Jun 2016, 23:37

Got myself a DIERAMA today from the online shop.
TELL ME THAT SHE'S GORGEOUS,I LOVE HER,

the problem is she's in New Delhi....

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 06 Jul 2016, 13:25

Exposed! My mother-in-law's opium crop.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 08 Feb 2017, 09:31

I did the annual garden bird survey the weekend before last, although I've only just gotten round to reporting the results. You record the highest number of individuals you see at any one timepoint of the day. This year's account was:

Goldfinch 2
Marsh Tit 1
Willow Tit 2
Redpoll 24
Crested Tit 1
Bullfinch 4
Coal Tit 1
Blue Tit 4
Great Tit 5
Nuthatch 1

We've often had siskins, greenfinches and waxwings through this winter, but they didn't show up to be counted when it mattered most. :x

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 08 Feb 2017, 09:52

Spent the last couple of weekends planting tons of chilli seeds. All sorts of varieties. Coir pellets and peat pots filled with compost/coir.
If they all grow I will have nowhere to put them.
I'm hoping the ornamental varieties will do well on the patio. Pretty enough to make my wife happy.

She thinks I'm mad. I mean, how many chillis can you eat?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Feb 2017, 13:44

I live on and manage a 40 acre farm specializing in organic, heirloom veggies. We are currently sold out on lettuce, kale & spinach and in the middle of a planting cycle. Strawberries should be here soon (though never soon enough).
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 08 Feb 2017, 13:53

Mine is a right old state at the moment. We have a lot of big trees behind us, and the leaves basically all drop into our garden. I can't be bothered to rake them all up, so I leave a covering of them over winter, into early spring, so that they can mulch down and provide some protection for the early bulbs (that's my excuse, anyway; truthfully, I'm just too lazy)

There are quite a few bulbs coming through now, plus the Skimmia and Daphne are putting on a good show, as is my Christmas Box :)
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 08 Feb 2017, 20:20

Polishgirl wrote:
There are quite a few bulbs coming through now, plus the Skimmia and Daphne are putting on a good show, as is my Christmas Box :)

Good, I'd heard pleasuring rumours about the wonder of your Christmas Box.

Bulbs are coming through - crocuses near the house are just about to flower. Just received an unexpected bonus of free compost from my sister which I'll spread over the veg section at the weekend.

Last Sunday revised my growing plan and ordered seeds from Nicky's Nursery, eagerly waiting for spring to arrive and my mini sweeps of primroses to come out, then the wood anemones which are a particular delight to me.

Return to “Nextdoorland”