How's the garden doing?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Rayge

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Rayge » 12 Aug 2015, 20:41

Another fancy columbine
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 12 Aug 2015, 20:45

Knautia and oenothera combine with an unidentified weed to make an exciting colour combo in the scruffy neglected area by the pond.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 21 Sep 2015, 22:37

Blood lilies!

These pop up in a certain spot every year - they're very strange. Nice, though.

That's no place to be dad, (Colin).

Postby That's no place to be dad, (Colin). » 25 Sep 2015, 16:12

echolalia wrote:Image

Blood lilies!

These pop up in a certain spot every year - they're very strange. Nice, though.

Your lillies look a bit one dimensional echolia ,they look like flat-pack assembled tulips in fact !
TELL ME THAT SHE'S GORGEOUS,I LOVE HER,

the problem is she's in New Delhi....

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 25 Sep 2015, 18:58

Cool Colin wrote:Your lillies look a bit one dimensional echolia ,they look like flat-pack assembled tulips in fact !

:lol: They do!

That was a few days ago though - this was them today:

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Sep 2015, 05:38

I took out my tomato plants and the Amaranth to make room for lettuce and spinach in the raised bed and I'm planting the front garden to almost completely brussel sprouts. I'm hoping the fixing of nitrogen will invigorate the soil a bit. It usually doesn't get enough cold days here to inspire the plants to really produce. At least that is what I've been told and calling my attempts at growing them moderately successful might get you cast out as an agent of mistruths. I will add my usual compost as well and hopefully we get rain in the spring and I can have a better garden. I would rethink my ideas of a garden next year. I might cut back growing all together and just grow some less thirsty plants overall. I spent way too much time worrying about water for the garden this year and I don't think it is necessary for me to do that again.

Most years I let the plants go through their life cycles or a freeze which ever comes first but this year with less water I don't think it's prudent to keep it up. I can get good tomatoes from the farmer's market if I need them. The varieties available are staggering. They don't call it Sacratomato for nothing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 Oct 2015, 00:34

I got my brussel sprouts, lettuce and spinach planted yesterday. I hope it rains this winter. Oh yeah, and my wife sprouted some brocoli plants so she planted those in the raised bed. Now that the weather is cooling I see the snails are becoming more
plentiful and active.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 01 Feb 2016, 07:11

Took part in Sweden's annual bird-feeder survey on Saturday. It's always on the last weekend of January. You report the largest number of individuals of any species you see at the same time. This year's result was:

great tit 3
blue tit 3
willow tit 1
marsh tit 1
coal tit 1
nuthatch 1
greenfinch 2
redpoll 26
siskin 1
goldfinch 2
bullfinch 12
blackbird 1

...which is the largest number of species I've been able to report for the survey. :) Normally we get a bigger variety from March, when the short-distance migrants are passing through.
No crested tits or tree sparrows at all this winter yet though, that's never happened before. :(

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Mar 2016, 01:28

My brussel sprouts are starting to shoot with the wamer weather. The lovage is starting to peek out of the ground but I haven't seen the tarragon yet which is usually one of the first things to show up when the weather starts warming. The pineapple sage is blooming like crazy a second time. Those red flowers are stunning in the winter amidst the brown. Golden beet are also comng up. Woo hoo!

di Maio
Location: Down in Dixieland loudly playing a silver fiddle, minding the Man

Postby di Maio » 02 Mar 2016, 03:26

northernsky wrote:Took part in Sweden's annual bird-feeder survey on Saturday. It's always on the last weekend of January. You report the largest number of individuals of any species you see at the same time. This year's result was:

great tit 3
blue tit 3
willow tit 1
marsh tit 1
coal tit 1
nuthatch 1
greenfinch 2
redpoll 26
siskin 1
goldfinch 2
bullfinch 12
blackbird 1

...which is the largest number of species I've been able to report for the survey. :) Normally we get a bigger variety from March, when the short-distance migrants are passing through.
No crested tits or tree sparrows at all this winter yet though, that's never happened before. :(

In January and February, we had a plethora of eastern bluebirds. I counted 7 at one time. When I was young, the eastern bluebird was rarely seen but their numbers have really risen lately.

Now we're seeing American robin hunting for worms with the warmer weather. On the feeders are northern cardinal, American goldfinch, house finches, various sparrows, tufted titmice, a few snowbirds, and downy woodpeckers. My favorite find was a red-headed woodpecker that visited the feeder several winters ago, but I've not seen it since.

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Mar 2016, 06:52

I usually see a Northern Flicker in my yard around this time of year although with the drought and the general unpredictable weather patterns, it is hard to predict much although I have been hearing the Sandhill Cranes flying overhead as they always do at the end of February.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Mar 2016, 10:50

Currently lying under a blanket of hailstones.
Major plans for the year, though. As well as finally completing the paths, I have to take down a couple of trees that are shading out the side garden too much, take down (as opposed to demolish – I'm going to use the bricks, timber, slates and ridge tiles to build the beds up into terraces) the current outbuilding, move the compost bins to a corner of the garden where I currently have a loam pile I'm gong to need to fill up the new raised terraced beds, get a greenhouse to replace the outbuildings, as that's the only flat sunny area I have in the garden, and get a potting and/or tool shed to go where the compost bins are now, in part to store the stuff that's currently in the outbuildings. The fact that each of these tasks is contingent on another being completed, and that I will need difficult-to-arrange help for some of them (if only to hold the ladders and call the ambulance when I fall off), makes it a logistical double complex pancake. And then, of course, there's all the plant work (well, tasks; strictly speaking, everything I do in the garden is play) to be done on top of that.
And my next door neighbour has offered me her estranged husband's abandoned dighy, about ten feet long and three wide at the middle, that I'm thinking of turning into a bed. I quite like the idea of growing a clematis and/or honeysuckle up the mast.

Postby That's no place to be dad, (Colin). » 02 Mar 2016, 11:38

the fashion is for "mud heads" now in gardens,in between my conifer and heather patch it would look good but how do you do with the materials has lost me.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 09 Mar 2016, 15:03

di Maio wrote: My favorite find was a red-headed woodpecker that visited the feeder several winters ago, but I've not seen it since.

Had to look that up - it always surprises me what a tiny overlap there is among passerines between Europe and N America - and my, that is a handsome animal. It has "Near Threatened" status I see, more's the pity. We have a black woodpecker from time to time, as well as the ubiquitous (well, for north Europe) greater spotted.

Six String wrote:I have been hearing the Sandhill Cranes flying overhead as they always do at the end of February

These guys are returning now to southern Sweden, not yet as far north as me. Our tallest bird, although I suspect the various swans are heavier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_crane

But just this morning, leaving for work before dawn, I heard a snipe over the forest at the back of the garden. Couldn't see it, but that rather heightens the effect!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03zdkjv

Pretty early for them to be coming back, but it has been very mild on the whole.

Six String

Postby Six String » 09 Mar 2016, 16:16

I went on a bird count at a local preserve a few years ago with their resident expert from U.C.Davis and I was amazed at his ability to not only name the birds by song whether he saw them or not and he didn't write anything down! He kept his running tally in his head.

I noticed the other day that my "Pride Of Monterey" is getting ready to bloom for the first time since I planted it two years ago.
I read up a bit when I bought it and others talked about the unpredictabie nature of theor flowering. It must be happy!

Rayge

Garden Squares

Postby Rayge » 16 May 2016, 22:26

Well, one of my cameras developed a fault on the sensor that blurred a bit of the edge of the picture, but I found that I could still take a decent picture with a square format, so I'm using it to take pictures in the garden. These are mostly April

Arabis

Primula

Crown Fritillary

Dwarf tulips

Veronica

Primulas & Muscarii

Broom

Wood Anemones

Hot Bumble Action on a Pieris

Re: Garden Squares

Postby That's no place to be dad, (Colin). » 16 May 2016, 22:56

Rayge and his OFFENDING POLYANTHUS wrote:
Primulas & Muscarii

that's him the red thing in the middle, :D your photos are fantastic rayge but polyanthus and "vugaris" together are a NO GO,in my books !

Rayge

Re: Garden Squares

Postby Rayge » 16 May 2016, 23:23

Just somebody called Colin wrote:
Rayge and his OFFENDING POLYANTHUS wrote:
Primulas & Muscarii

that's him the red thing in the middle, :D your photos are fantastic rayge but polyanthus and "vugaris" together are a NO GO,in my books !

I think that might be a natural hybrid. In a true polyanthus, the flowers would stand clearer of the leaves. There is a wild form (or garden escapee) in the banks around here that looks very like that one.
There are cowslips, oxlips, primroses and candelabra primulas around the garden, as well as a few polyanthus in the borders, and they are a concupiscent lot.
Either way, I didn't plant any of them in the picture, they planted themselves and I let them get on with it.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 21 May 2016, 14:57

Continuing

Turkey hatches
Ficus 'Brown Turkey' bursts its first bud

Last years' things
After a first season in pots, tulip bulbs get shoved in the beds wherever there is an apparent gap: a chromatic gallimaufry ensues.

Centre of Attention
This broom, in its sixth season in the garden, and pretty much smack in the middle, is six feet tall and rising, but after this flowering I'm gong to have to cut
it back severely, as the whole bed needs digging out, leveling up and replanting.

Tulips are go!
Also featuring Veronica in a Yorkshire pot and distant cowslips

Broken blossoms
A white snake's-head fritillary that has been bashed about by some creature near the pond

Pretty in Pink
A form of Arabis. Didn't write down its full name. It grows in the bed outside the kitchen window, to no more than 6in (15cm) tall.
The flower is about 3/4in (2cm) across. Only just noticed the bug nestling between petals in the lower flower

And now we move smoothly into May

Property investment
My new cold frame, made of western cedar, looking and smelling beautiful

Orange
Unfortunately, the auto-focus decided I was taking a pic of the leaves, rather than the flower, of this pansy, but it doesn't matter, because the colour is still in your face

Postby That's no place to be dad, (Colin). » 21 May 2016, 18:44

Rayge wrote:Image
Property investment
My new cold frame, made of western cedar, looking and smelling beautiful

COOL ! .By the look of it those are sweet peas you've got growing in there,my cold frame is cheap plastic thing but it works.i think i'm too late with my sweet peas,Got inpired by "MONTY the DON" to grow some and went out and aquired an "OBELISK" tall, from the local garden centre a £45 touch >property investment !they will take two weeks to germinate, six weeks to get like yours ,flowers in november by my current calculations .if they make it i will be chuffed .PAINTED LADY a very old HERITAGE variety, ,1700s and all that .

AND, i forgot to chit them, fingers crossed .

Return to “Nextdoorland”