How's the garden doing?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 24090
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby souphound » 18 Jun 2015, 14:33

Has some wild (or domestic) animal used one of your bamboo plants as a urinal perhaps?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 21851
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Deebank » 18 Jun 2015, 15:10

souphound wrote:Has some wild (or domestic) animal used one of your bamboo plants as a urinal perhaps?



My daughter maybe. Wild or domesticated? Hmmm... :?

Too high for the dog to get to and the only other animals I've seen in the garden apart from birds are a couple of frogs and a baby rabbit.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 24090
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby souphound » 18 Jun 2015, 15:32

Deebank wrote:
souphound wrote:Has some wild (or domestic) animal used one of your bamboo plants as a urinal perhaps?



My daughter maybe. Wild or domesticated? Hmmm... :?

Too high for the dog to get to and the only other animals I've seen in the garden apart from birds are a couple of frogs and a baby rabbit.



Blame the frogs. Everyone hates France.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 9850
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Rayge » 18 Jun 2015, 15:35

Deebank wrote:Bought from Sidmouth Garden Centre and repotted!


I don't know that one, but as a heads up, St Brigids (or something like that) in Clyst St Mary is a top nursery/GC
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 21851
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Deebank » 18 Jun 2015, 15:56

Rayge wrote:
Deebank wrote:Bought from Sidmouth Garden Centre and repotted!


I don't know that one, but as a heads up, St Brigids (or something like that) in Clyst St Mary is a top nursery/GC


Down near Dart's Farm I think. No we've never strayed that far.

You not a fan of Otter Nurseries? It's the Daddy!
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 9850
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Rayge » 18 Jun 2015, 18:12

Deebank wrote:
Rayge wrote:
Deebank wrote:Bought from Sidmouth Garden Centre and repotted!


I don't know that one, but as a heads up, St Brigids (or something like that) in Clyst St Mary is a top nursery/GC


You not a fan of Otter Nurseries? It's the Daddy!



St Brigid's (which is on the Sidmouth road about a mile east of the M5) is about six or seven miles closer, so I've never been
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 21851
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Deebank » 18 Jun 2015, 20:01

Rayge wrote:
St Brigid's (which is on the Sidmouth road about a mile east of the M5) is about six or seven miles closer, so I've never been


Not far from where I live as the crow flies. A bit of a faff to get to though because the airport is in the way.
I will check it out though. One thing East Devon is not short on and that's garden centres. Anyway, as all us Cope fans know, St Brigid is the christianised version of local (and Irish) pagan goddess Brid/Brud/Bridey of Bridport fame.. Apropos of nothing...

Just watered the bamboos - I'll try and upload a picture for shits and giggles.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 7643
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jun 2015, 19:21

I had some tall lilies with almost tropical like stalks. I was looking forward to seeing them bud, but I've just been out there and the leaves are totally dead and the flowerheads turned to mush! :(
The garden's been a big disappointment this year, it just hasn't got going really.

User avatar
Polishgirl
Posts: 8499
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 22:06

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Polishgirl » 24 Jun 2015, 19:31

Deebank wrote:
Rayge wrote:
St Brigid's (which is on the Sidmouth road about a mile east of the M5) is about six or seven miles closer, so I've never been


Not far from where I live as the crow flies. A bit of a faff to get to though because the airport is in the way.
I will check it out though. One thing East Devon is not short on and that's garden centres. Anyway, as all us Cope fans know, St Brigid is the christianised version of local (and Irish) pagan goddess Brid/Brud/Bridey of Bridport fame.. Apropos of nothing...

Just watered the bamboos - I'll try and upload a picture for shits and giggles.


I'm a Bernaville fan. Got some great alpine/patio things the other week. I tricked Phil into the car by telling him we were doing the food shop ( which we did), but then drove out to Bernaville, and he was TRAPPED.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

User avatar
Polishgirl
Posts: 8499
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 22:06

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Polishgirl » 24 Jun 2015, 19:32

Deebank wrote:
Rayge wrote:
St Brigid's (which is on the Sidmouth road about a mile east of the M5) is about six or seven miles closer, so I've never been


Not far from where I live as the crow flies. A bit of a faff to get to though because the airport is in the way.
I will check it out though. One thing East Devon is not short on and that's garden centres. Anyway, as all us Cope fans know, St Brigid is the christianised version of local (and Irish) pagan goddess Brid/Brud/Bridey of Bridport fame.. Apropos of nothing...

Just watered the bamboos - I'll try and upload a picture for shits and giggles.


There's also a St Bridget's just off Rydon Lane in Exeter ( near the mega-sized, soul-sapping Exe Vale Tescos)
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9199
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Samoan » 24 Jun 2015, 20:52

The Modernist wrote:I had some tall lilies with almost tropical like stalks. I was looking forward to seeing them bud, but I've just been out there and the leaves are totally dead and the flowerheads turned to mush! :(

That is sad to hear. I love garden grown lilies.
Was it Lily Beetle, you think ?
Last edited by Samoan on 25 Jun 2015, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 7643
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jun 2015, 21:06

Something like that I expect. I'll put up a photo over the weekend and get a diagnosis off Dr Rayge.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9199
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Samoan » 24 Jun 2015, 23:01

The Modernist wrote:Something like that I expect. I'll put up a photo over the weekend and get a diagnosis off Dr Rayge.

I got City n' Guilds. :(
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 7643
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby The Modernist » 25 Jun 2015, 06:14

And your advice too!

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 2005
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 25 Jun 2015, 08:26

Any advice on Camellias Samoan?
I have one in a pot that had a lot of leaves last week but none this week.
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 9850
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Rayge » 25 Jun 2015, 09:18

The Modernist wrote:Something like that I expect. I'll put up a photo over the weekend and get a diagnosis off Dr Rayge.


Don't rely on me - lilies aren't something I know about.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9199
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Samoan » 25 Jun 2015, 21:48

Been out doing a bit of late evening topiary, creating large leaved ivy and small leaved euonymous into mounds and pillars. I like a bit of form, structure and height to punctuate the informality of the ranks of holly hocks and the sprawl of geranium, campanula and ground-hugging hypericum.
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 7643
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby The Modernist » 25 Jun 2015, 21:54

Samoan wrote:Been out doing a bit of late evening topiary, creating large leaved ivy and small leaved euonymous into mounds and pillars. I like a bit of form, structure and height to punctuate the informality of the ranks of holly hocks and the sprawl of geranium, campanula and ground-hugging hypericum.


photos please!

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 45259
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby The Slider » 27 Jun 2015, 09:09

My window box is doing well this summer.
Just plain violas this year - the geraniums were getting too spindly and the ferns died after 5 years.


Image
"I felt like we could have placed stars in the fucking sky that night."

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 34071
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby yomptepi » 27 Jun 2015, 11:03

Some late flowering daffodils in my front garden. How odd.

Image
You don't like me...do you?


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 1 guest