How's the garden doing?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
echolalia
Posts: 3964
Joined: 21 Jul 2006, 02:23
Location: Way Out West

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby echolalia » 13 Jun 2015, 21:19

Polishgirl wrote:I do try to plant things that are good for the wildlife, and the bees are MENTAL for the thistles:

Image

I planted borage a few years ago specifically because I'd read somewhere that bees go daft for it. Seems to be true. Bees in the borage this morning:

Image

Image

User avatar
Polishgirl
Posts: 8519
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 22:06

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Polishgirl » 13 Jun 2015, 22:50

Look at that lovely orange furry bottom!

The borage is great; I'm jealous- some grew last year, from a pack of assorted cottage garden seeds, but I realised, too late this year, that it's an annual.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 7696
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby The Modernist » 13 Jun 2015, 23:26

Polishgirl wrote:Thank you :) When I first moved in, it was a very respectable suburban garden- neatly mown lawn, lots of conifers and shrubs. The grass, however, would get very mossy, as the garden is partly in shade, so my friend and I took the grass up, lifted some of the patio slabs, knocked down a small wall ( that was the best bit; I never knew that swinging a lump hammer could be so satisfying ), and made it into, essentially, one big flower bed.

I like the chaotic, old fashioned, cottage garden look.


Yeah I'm totally with you on that and the good thing is it always seems to be quite different from year to year.

Six String
Posts: 19765
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Six String » 13 Jun 2015, 23:47

Polishgirl wrote:Look at that lovely orange furry bottom!

The borage is great; I'm jealous- some grew last year, from a pack of assorted cottage garden seeds, but I realised, too late this year, that it's an annual.


Not sure it will do it in your climate but it reseeds vigorously here. I had it in my yard for years from reseeding and then one year it didn't return. Might have been me turning soil or a cold snap possibly.
The flowers are great in salads.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 9999
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Rayge » 14 Jun 2015, 09:22

Polishgirl wrote:The borage is great; I'm jealous- some grew last year, from a pack of assorted cottage garden seeds, but I realised, too late this year, that it's an annual.


It self-seeds copiously – I've been digging them up and throwing them out, although I still have a dozen or so growing round and about – you'd be welcome to one or two
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9339
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Samoan » 14 Jun 2015, 18:07

Polishgirl wrote:
The borage is great; I'm jealous- some grew last year, from a pack of assorted cottage garden seeds, but I realised, too late this year, that it's an annual.

Things may look up on the Borage front later in the year as it's a self seeder: depends on how much you grew last year and the weather conditions. It's such a pretty flower and can be added to a gin, or vodka and tonic for a subtle honeyed cucumber kind of flavour and aroma.

Love your Cirsiums together with the Centaurea , a great colour combination!
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

User avatar
Polishgirl
Posts: 8519
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 22:06

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Jun 2015, 19:11

Samoan wrote:Things may look up on the Borage front later in the year as it's a self seeder: depends on how much you grew last year and the weather conditions. It's such a pretty flower and can be added to a gin, or vodka and tonic for a subtle honeyed cucumber kind of flavour and aroma.



Interesting. If only I liked gin.... *suddenly needs borage AND gin*
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

User avatar
echolalia
Posts: 3964
Joined: 21 Jul 2006, 02:23
Location: Way Out West

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby echolalia » 14 Jun 2015, 22:55

Six String wrote:The flowers are great in salads.

They are! And in sangria. The leaves and stalks are edible too. I’m more than content just to look at it though. I think it’s to do with the way the flowers droop – to get a proper look at borage you have to get up close to it and bask in the refulgence. The flowers are especially great at dusk – fuzzy blue.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9339
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Samoan » 14 Jun 2015, 23:10

echolalia wrote:I’m more than content just to look at it though. I think it’s to do with the way the flowers droop – to get a proper look at borage you have to get up close to it and bask in the refulgence. The flowers are especially great at dusk – fuzzy blue.

I had to google refulgence. There's a word you don't hear every day. Read, maybe. Maybe I'm not very well read...
Anyway, as any phool know, the best way to enjoy borage is to plant it in clumps at the top of a slight slope so the blue stars gleam down on you.
Pat O'Banton wrote:My Polish punk did me no favours at all.

Six String
Posts: 19765
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Six String » 15 Jun 2015, 05:12

echolalia wrote:
Six String wrote:The flowers are great in salads.

They are! And in sangria. The leaves and stalks are edible too. I’m more than content just to look at it though. I think it’s to do with the way the flowers droop – to get a proper look at borage you have to get up close to it and bask in the refulgence. The flowers are especially great at dusk – fuzzy blue.


When the plants get large (almost a meter tall) they look pretty spectacular though because of their structure, they don't survive strong winds very well and we can get some pretty hefty gusts throughout the year. I've never tried them in Sangria but I could see that.

Six String
Posts: 19765
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Six String » 15 Jun 2015, 05:17

I'm getting a fist full of beans a day so far and a few cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. Eggplant will be along soon. I think I may replace the maché and lettuce that I've pulled because they are starting to bolt with some okra much to my wife's chagrin. It loves the heat and we will have plenty of that in the coming months.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 9999
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

A few more from May

Postby Rayge » 16 Jun 2015, 19:04

Three weeks behind with photos - so much beauty, so little time – so here's some pics from late May.

Image
In the Stumpery
Tucked against a north-facing wall is a small raised bed bounded by decaying sycamore stumps, The Stumpery. It is shady with a rich humus soil and I is planted with various ferns, a Geranium sylvaticum and a few cyclamen. Which I haven't seen this winter come to think of it. Bugger. It usually looks a right mess over the winter, but then we get this extraordinary phoenix act in the spring and early summer

Image
Rosa 'Geoff Hamilton' (I think - terrible at varietal names)
Anyway, over the decades we acquired quite a few old-fashioned roses – can't be doing with scentless ones, really – and they are scattered all over the garden. I have to shovel loads of grit into the planting holes for most things, but the compacted clay of this garden really suits roses of all kinds, and I've actually lost count now. The only way I get to know the varietal names is if I leave the label on, but just recently I've managed to grow a couple from semi-ripe cuttings, and I haven't got the faintest idea.

Image
Nemisia 'Vanilla Lady'
This is a real pleasure, a tender plant that made it through the winter, unexpectedly. The flowers are small and delicate, but there are plenty of them, and the scent of vanilla is pretty amazing. Put the pot on a wall by the south steps for easy hooter access.

Image
Late bloomer

This Firebird broom took me by surprise, started budding weeks after the others and is still going now, when their flowers are over.

Image
Iris sibirica

Image
Old Glory
Rosa 'Gloire de Dijon', nicknamed thusly ^

Image
Achillea

Image
The Engine Room
Looking down from the bedroom at the 'parking area' at the side of the house which I made over into a combination container garden/workshop
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 7696
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby The Modernist » 16 Jun 2015, 19:09

Looks like you've got a lot of planting to do with all the young plants in pots Ray!

Some lovely photos as always and your ability to remember plants names puts the rest of us to shame!

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 5208
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby John aka Josh » 16 Jun 2015, 21:01

Do I spot some dark red dahlias developing?
Image

Six String
Posts: 19765
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Six String » 17 Jun 2015, 07:09

The Modernist wrote:Looks like you've got a lot of planting to do with all the young plants in pots Ray!

Some lovely photos as always and your ability to remember plants names puts the rest of us to shame!


Absolutely, on both counts. That Firebird photo is amazing.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22087
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Deebank » 17 Jun 2015, 22:14

Bamboo conundrum...

I potted up two large bamboo plants a month or two ago and placed them in roughly similar positions in terms of sunlight and cover in the garden (which is a bit of a blank canvas being a new house and all).

One of the plants has died (not entirely - there are some shoots coming through, but the leaves have all yellowed) while the other is doing OK.

Why is this? :? :?:
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Six String
Posts: 19765
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Six String » 18 Jun 2015, 05:49

Bamboo is supposed to be pretty tough stuff. Maybe not all varietals. When you say they are in roughly the same conditions, what are the differences? If one gets more sun than the other and you water them the same then one of them might be getting too much water. Did the pot transfer go well with both plants? Again, they should be pretty hardy plants. I'm as surprised as you are of this problem. Those are my ideas.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22087
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Deebank » 18 Jun 2015, 09:27

Six String wrote:Bamboo is supposed to be pretty tough stuff. Maybe not all varietals. When you say they are in roughly the same conditions, what are the differences? If one gets more sun than the other and you water them the same then one of them might be getting too much water. Did the pot transfer go well with both plants? Again, they should be pretty hardy plants. I'm as surprised as you are of this problem. Those are my ideas.


Our old garden in Sussex had been expensively landscaped before we moved in and contained a lot of different bamboos which all seemed pretty much indestructible (they were of course planted in the ground rather than potted). They were all invasive as buggery with great spurs and shoots popping up all over my neighbour's lawn - I could imagine a post-apocalyptic scenario where West Sussex is a massive bamboo jungle centred on the ruins of a small village called Partridge Green. But I digress...

Identical containers with identical drainage; placed a couple of feet from each other and watered (perhaps not as regularly as they should have been) at exactly the same times; in roughly the same position in terms of sunlight.

The 'dead' plant's leaves have yellowed, but there are two or three shoots coming up now. The healthy plant - the slightly smaller of the two as it goes - also has new shoots.

It is mysterious. I'm more used to growing vegetables.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 9999
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Rayge » 18 Jun 2015, 13:14

Deebank wrote:Our old garden in Sussex had been expensively landscaped before we moved in and contained a lot of different bamboos which all seemed pretty much indestructible (they were of course planted in the ground rather than potted). They were all invasive as buggery with great spurs and shoots popping up all over my neighbour's lawn - I could imagine a post-apocalyptic scenario where West Sussex is a massive bamboo jungle centred on the ruins of a small village called Partridge Green. But I digress...

Identical containers with identical drainage; placed a couple of feet from each other and watered (perhaps not as regularly as they should have been) at exactly the same times; in roughly the same position in terms of sunlight.

The 'dead' plant's leaves have yellowed, but there are two or three shoots coming up now. The healthy plant - the slightly smaller of the two as it goes - also has new shoots.

It is mysterious. I'm more used to growing vegetables.


Are they both the same species? Because they all have marginally different needs.
Did you get them in containers, or bring them with you from PG? If the former, it might be vine weevil attacking the roots, although the fact that some are coming back suggests otherwise. If the latter, you may have damaged the roots in the transfer.
Have you repotted them recently?
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22087
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Deebank » 18 Jun 2015, 13:33

Bought from Sidmouth Garden Centre and repotted.
I may have inadvertently damaged the roots I suppose - seems the most likely explanation.
Now you mention it, we should have taken some from the old house. That would have been sensible and cheaper. The new plants were quite expensive.
They would be happier in the ground, but we're not getting into all that again!
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro


Return to “Nextdoorland”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], sneelock and 3 guests