How's the garden doing?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Modernist

How's the garden doing?

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jul 2013, 19:09

We had a thread last year, but I couldn't be arsed looking for it. Mine still needs a lot of work, but its got character and there's usually something interesting to see. I had hoped to take some pictures a week or so back but I've had to wait ages for a camera battery. Anyway I've managed to capture some of the lilies and a few other things!

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Re: How's the garden doing?

Postby Belle Lettre » 09 Jul 2013, 19:17

That's lovely!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 09 Jul 2013, 19:19

Yeah, G! Sorry to say this, but I assumed you lived above a shop or something similar befitting sort of a Mod type. That's really a nice world you have there!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 09 Jul 2013, 19:20

Golly, G!

Nice work!
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jul 2013, 19:29

Remember (Quaco) wrote:Yeah, G! Sorry to say this, but I assumed you lived above a shop or something similar befitting sort of a Mod type. That's really a nice world you have there!

:lol:

I've only got a small one bedroom flat, but because it was converted from a Victorian terraced house it came with a largish garden, which is very unusual.
For years I did nothing and it was totally overgrown. I realised that if I were to sell the place I'd need to use the garden as a selling point, so I got into it through necessity a couple of summers ago and then just got the bug. It's become a real passion for me now!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Jul 2013, 19:35

We've got an organic vegetable garden out back now, that La Contessa was all sorts of excited about. Naturally, it's fallen to me to maintain the damn thing. :x

Tomatoes, red bell peppers, banana peppers, a bunch of herbs...it's coming in pretty nicely, I'd say.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 09 Jul 2013, 19:36

I no longer have a garden and I miss it terribly. Yours looks great G.

I have a couple fo plants on the balcony, but nothing flowery.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jul 2013, 19:40

Count Machuki wrote:We've got an organic vegetable garden out back now, that La Contessa was all sorts of excited about. Naturally, it's fallen to me to maintain the damn thing. :x

Tomatoes, red bell peppers, banana peppers, a bunch of herbs...it's coming in pretty nicely, I'd say.

Apart from some rosemary, mine's all ornamental I guess. I do want get a vegetable patch going, but that will be next year's project.
How are the tomatoes?

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 09 Jul 2013, 19:42

Looks amazing G. You clearly have green fingers.
You don't like me...do you?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Jul 2013, 19:47

The G Experience! wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:We've got an organic vegetable garden out back now, that La Contessa was all sorts of excited about. Naturally, it's fallen to me to maintain the damn thing. :x

Apart from some rosemary, mine's all ornamental I guess. I do want get a vegetable patch going, but that will be next year's project.
How are the tomatoes?

I think we (read: I :x ) might have planted a bit late...they're slow coming in. They're supposed to be easy as hell to grow, too; I think the timing was just off.

We've got rosemary, too, and mint, and cilantro (a kitchen staple).
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jul 2013, 19:54

Easy to grow if you've got the weather I think. In the UK it's a bit dicey. It's been bloody hot for the last five days but before then it was cloudy and quite chilly so I don't know how the tomato growers over here are doing.

Billy

Postby Billy » 09 Jul 2013, 20:13

Nice one, G!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 09 Jul 2013, 20:18

Oooh, looking good!!! Is that a berberis? I love the colour of those.

My garden is coming on. I've had a renewed interest in it this year, but there's still quite a bit I want to tidy up. I could spend all my disposable income on plants and garden stuff but I've had to rein it in... :cry:

I took some photos yesterday of my favourites, that are happily blooming away chez PG:

I got this rose, and another from one of the supermarkets, something like £2 each. It smells DIVINE ( I love old-fashioned roses )

I love the whole cottage garden/ big rampant borders. The colour of these geraniums is almost luminous.

These are centauras, which have self-seeded. My favourite colour, plus they look like something off a medieval picture... I'm keen on spikey flowers.

Also trying to plant bee and butterfly friendly things. The bees have gone bonkers for the big ornamental thistles.

And my top favourite, the helenium, which just started flowering at the w/e. All those sorts of coneflowery things are great, and the orange on these is dead zingy.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 09 Jul 2013, 20:19

I've been buying quite a bit of stuff online, from J Parkers - they come usually as plug plants or bulbs etc. The quality seems to be good, and I had some amazing tulips earlier in the year, so will deffo order some more from there.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jul 2013, 20:27

Wow- I love those colours and the photography is lovely too. I like those thistle type flowers especially.
Yeah it's a berberis, it took a while to get going and its still a bit straggly.I think my favourite thing is this salix flamingo which produces these iridescent pale pink flowers, but I didn't get a good photo of it today.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 09 Jul 2013, 20:32

The thistles started just from one plant; again, they self-seed like crazy.

I really like that berberis, I've thought about getting one but I'm not sure where it would go for the best in my garden - it's south facing, but can be quite shady with some big trees behind it.

Have you tried doing the propagating and proper grown up stuff? I chucked a few seeds around last month, and a few things are growing, but I have no idea what they are!

Pat O'Banton
Utter Cad

Postby Pat O'Banton » 09 Jul 2013, 20:32

Needs a bit of attention, maybe, but it's home.
Goat Boy wrote:TVc 15 rocks my world. The chorus makes me want to fuck a horse.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 09 Jul 2013, 20:35

You're going for the urban look, I see, Griff.....

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jul 2013, 20:59

Polishgirl wrote:The thistles started just from one plant; again, they self-seed like crazy.

I really like that berberis, I've thought about getting one but I'm not sure where it would go for the best in my garden - it's south facing, but can be quite shady with some big trees behind it.

Have you tried doing the propagating and proper grown up stuff? I chucked a few seeds around last month, and a few things are growing, but I have no idea what they are!

Mine's in a fairly exposed spot, I think it might prefer more shade.
I've grown quite few things successfully from seed using a propagator, much more successfully when I just had them in pots or in the ground anyway. The extra humidity really seems to make a difference. My experiments with cuttings have been less successful, but I shall persist!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 09 Jul 2013, 21:13

A lot of the fun is in the trial and error, I think.

My mum and dad used to embarrass the hell out of us by taking cuttings from every flipping National Trust and similar garden we visited..... they were shameless. ( they got some good things, though)

Return to “Nextdoorland”