Obama's Scandals

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

For Which of the Following Does the Presidential Johnson most deserve to be slammed in a car door?

Benghazi-Palooza
No votes
IRS "Targeting Right Wing Groups"
No votes
Secretly Seizing AP's Phone Records
22%
All of the above
11%
None of the Above
56%
You forgot the most important one.
No votes
Don't Blame Me, I voted for Footy
11%

Total votes: 9

Sneelock

Obama's Scandals

Postby Sneelock » 15 May 2013, 17:31

If you watch any U.S. television at all, there's one thing you know about the Obama Administration - his administration is plagued with scandals. This last week, the mainstream media has decided to bend to the bullying of the right wing media that they were not doing enough to follow these "scandals".

Just as they started to play ball in a big way, another scandal breaks. So, no news program or late night comedy show goes by without saying the words "Obama" & "scandal" in the same sentence.

the opposition party has done little but try to keep his agenda from passing and trying to rescind the things that have passed. it's a pretty fair bet that they are picking out the curtains for the impeachment proceedings.

BUT, what do you think? Are any of these things impeachable offenses in your mind?
Last edited by Sneelock on 15 May 2013, 17:44, edited 2 times in total.
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Re: Obama's Scandals

Postby Sneelock » 15 May 2013, 17:34

forget impeachable, what pisses you off?
I'm pretty pissed off about that AP thing.
the more it is defended as "a war on leaks" the more pissed off I am about it.
uggy poopy doody.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 May 2013, 17:38

Guantanamo.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 May 2013, 17:41

there's a great piece about the "forced feeding" of the hunger strikers in The Atlantic or something . that's a brutal business. it's shocking what passes muster as "scandal" and what doesn't.

I mean, the "targeting right wing groups" thing is almost entirely ginned up. several groups were targeted. and yet, this is what gets covered as "a scandal"

it's so depressing.
uggy poopy doody.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 15 May 2013, 17:45

I would have thought that Obama's escalation of the drone programme is the biggest scandal.

der nister

Postby der nister » 15 May 2013, 17:46

These are all pretty petty
So I guess things could be much much worse
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 May 2013, 17:47

things could be worse? I agree. petty? I don't agree. the administration that was advertised as "the most transparent in history" has spent more time openly ferreting out and prosecuting whistle blowers and people who provide unwanted leaks than any previous administration.

I think it stunks.
uggy poopy doody.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 15 May 2013, 18:21

Obama's Sandals

He's still the new Messiah over here.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 15 May 2013, 18:25

Of the three current scandals, I'd like to know more about the IRS thing and the AP subpoenas, but I'm more likely to be outraged by the subpoena issue. I'm also likely to look into it more and decide that the media has fucked it up and it's not as big a deal as it seems.

I think he was naive with Guantanemo, and I'm still conflicted about the drones.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 May 2013, 18:34

I would criticize him most for his overall civil liberties record as it relates to the so-calls war on terror.

Not sure I think any of it rises to the level of scandal, but he's certainly allowed some taint on his presidency coming from that direction.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 15 May 2013, 18:54

Cage Free Brown wrote:
BUT, what do you think? Are any of these things impeachable offenses in your mind?

Before we speak of impeachment, let us remember these two words. President Biden.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 May 2013, 19:13

well, I wish this was discouragement to the GOP but I think all they really care about is running out the clock.
I think it's beginning to shape up that the least of these scandals (namely Benghazi) will be the one they rally round the flag for. why? because they've done it already and they're very good at doing the same thing over and over again. also, the media just fell for the exploding cigar once (memos didn't prove what they said) and rather than take stock of how lame they are I think they'll just cast their lot with the right.

For all Biden's rep for being "more liberal" than O., I won't soon forget his "bankruptcy bill" and what a giant pile of crap THAT was.
uggy poopy doody.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 May 2013, 19:23

I'm very disappointed with Obama's administration right now and the clumsy ineptness that seems to be piling on day after day from current and long-term gaffes I think the administration is committing.

I was disappointed with him in his first term when he had a house and senate majority and didn't seem to be able to get anything done.

Historically, I don't know if any of these will fly off the map as little political sunspots that seemed to happen and his shining moment will be as the father of universal healthcare in the U.S., but it ain't good.

I watch MSNBC apologize for him every night, but I think they're even running out of excuses.

Jon Stewart's take on the IRS scandal was very honest and funny and how most liberal pundits should be looking at the situation.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 15 May 2013, 19:26

Jon Stewart's take on the IRS scandal was very honest and funny and how most liberal pundits should be looking at the situation.

Agreed.

It really is astonishing how drones and Gitmo don't get people as outraged as the IRS targeting right wingers.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 May 2013, 19:31

bobzilla77 wrote:
It really is astonishing how drones and Gitmo don't get people as outraged ...

or watching Syria unravel.
Last edited by Sneelock on 15 May 2013, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
uggy poopy doody.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 May 2013, 19:31

When the AP story came out and I heard Eric Holder's puppet head talking, I was reminded of Nixon all over again.

What's worse is when I guess he found out about it, he ran and put his hand over his ears instead of doing anything.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 May 2013, 19:33

bobzilla77 wrote:

Agreed.

His line about claiming he owned a farm on his IRS filing, but really just ate a salad was genius.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 May 2013, 19:34

bobzilla77 wrote:It really is astonishing how drones and Gitmo don't get people as outraged as the IRS targeting right wingers.

Yeah, I don't get it. It really reduces MSNBC as an viable news alternative to Fox in my eyes.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 May 2013, 19:36

As for the AP stuff: Davey and I have been going back and forth on these issues for a good long time. Glenn Greenwald started talking about this stuff before O's chair was warm. It's so instructive that these issues can only be discussed in certain quarters when a certain perspective can be used. targeting Joe Sixpack or Greenpeace or the NAACP doesn't get anybody's panties in a bunch but once the big corporate powerhouses bankrolling the Tea Party get a hair mussed, it's time to strike up the arc lamps.

disgustipating.
uggy poopy doody.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 May 2013, 19:43

Cage Free Brown wrote:forget impeachable, what pisses you off?
I'm pretty pissed off about that AP thing.
the more it is defended as "a war on leaks" the more pissed off I am about it.

But with respect to that and the IRS thing, there doesn't appear to be any actual evidence linking the actions to Obama's administration. It just seems like mud slinging to me, and penny-ante mud slinging at that, especially in light of the much more serious issues that people have pointed out above.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Return to “Nextdoorland”