Funny old world, a repository for bizarre news stories

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Polishgirl

Re: Funny old world, a repository for bizarre news stories

Postby Polishgirl » 15 Aug 2014, 12:56

echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 15 Aug 2014, 13:05

It's probably pissing down there at the moment.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 15 Aug 2014, 13:24

Hugh wrote:It's probably pissing down there at the moment.

You're in on the gag, no?
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 15 Aug 2014, 15:02

I bet the winds will blow hard off the coast too.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 15 Aug 2014, 15:07

souphound wrote:I bet the winds will blow hard off the coast too.

Yeah, a tough job I head. Some gusts find it bollocks, in fact.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 21 Aug 2014, 20:15

Skelmersdale garden turf theft caught on camera

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-28883195
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 21 Aug 2014, 20:25

Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 09 Sep 2014, 22:03

echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 14 Oct 2014, 17:50

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 21 Nov 2014, 21:27

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 06 Mar 2015, 06:29

The man who posted himself to Australia.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31700049

He's a plucky fella.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 25 Mar 2015, 15:59

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/East-Devon-model-rail-shop-releases-8216-steamy/story-26225984-detail/story.html

Shop in Devon sells miniature figures of nudists and doggers for model railway enthusiasts....

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 25 Mar 2015, 21:50

Smamfy shared this on Facebook this morning:

http://www.london24.com/news/quirky-london/headbutting_pig_banned_from_south_london_pub_1_4007686

Boozy Vietnamese pot bellied pig in London pub goes on the wagon.....

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 31 Mar 2015, 17:27

Deadly MRSA Superbug Killed By 1000-Year-Old Anglo-Saxon Remedy

By Aditya Tejas

A 1,000-year-old Anglo-Saxon remedy for eye infections has been found to be effective against antibiotic-resistant superbugs, researchers from the University of Nottingham said on Monday. The scientists recreated a 9th Century remedy to treat styes.

The age-old remedy called for "cropleek and garlic, of both equal quantities, pound them well together … take wine and bullocks gall, mix with the leek … let it stand nine days in the brass vessel," according to the New Scientist.

Some of the ingredients, such as copper from the brass vessel, have antimicrobial properties, but the scientists were not sure if the recipe would be effective against infection. They tested it on tissue samples from mice infected with the MRSA superbug, an antibiotic-resistant strain of Staph, which the U.S. National Institute of Health says has “evolved from a controllable nuisance into a serious public health concern.”

The researchers had the idea during an academic meeting to discuss infectious diseases where Anglo-Saxon expert Christina Lee told microbiologists about Bald’s Leechbook -- an Anglo-Saxon medical text that contained remedies for various ailments. She translated the text of the recipe, which proved to be an “incredibly potent” antibiotic, according to lead researcher Freya Harrison.

The concoction killed up to 90 percent of MRSA bacteria in infected mice.

“I still can’t quite believe how well this one thousand year old antibiotic actually seems to be working, when we got the first results we were just utterly dumbfounded. We did not see this coming at all,” Harrison told The Independent.

The ingredients were found to have little effect individually, and the researchers speculate that they react in some unknown way to become more potent when brought together.

Lee said the remedy is just one of many potentially useful infection treatments contained in ancient texts. “Modern research into disease can benefit from past responses and knowledge, which is largely contained in non-scientific writings. But the potential of these texts to contribute to addressing the challenges cannot be understood without the combined expertise of both the arts and science,” she said in a Monday press release.

The team is due to present its findings at the annual conference of Society for General Microbiology in Birmingham on Wednesday, and the results of the study will be shortly submitted to the journal Nature.

"This truly cross-disciplinary project explores a new approach to modern health care problems by testing whether medieval remedies contain ingredients which kill bacteria or interfere with their ability to cause infection," Harrison said in the statement.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that at least 2 million people are infected with antibiotic-resistant bacteria every year, and at least 23,000 people die from these infections.

http://www.ibtimes.com/deadly-mrsa-superbug-killed-1000-year-old-anglo-saxon-remedy-1864634

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 14 Apr 2015, 16:06

Sea lion pup arrested after impersonating a high schooler

http://mashable.com/2015/04/13/sea-lion-arrested/

:lol: :lol:

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 21 Apr 2015, 21:30

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 21 Apr 2015, 21:41

Everyone in the company just got an email from the CEO for a Townhall meeting in May. I turned to the guy in the cubicle across from me and said, "I'll give you $5 if you propose a new time in Outlook with the response, 'This doesn't fit my schedule'".

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 22 Apr 2015, 19:09

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 26 May 2015, 12:43

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Bow-tie-wearing-duck-spotted-waiting-car-Crediton/story-26571312-detail/story.html

See- if you live in Devon, you get to enjoy beautiful countryside, endless cream teas AND the spectacle of ducks wearing bow ties.