50%
Nonfiction
50%

Total votes: 10

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Fiction or Nonfiction

Postby Jimbo » 25 Nov 2012, 18:45

I heard recently that women read more fiction than men. Since I prefer fiction does that make me a silly girl?
Question authority.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Re: Fiction or Nonfiction

Postby Velvis » 25 Nov 2012, 18:59

Fiction for me, although I read a fair amount of nonfiction.

I'm more interested in the interior lives of people. Psychology. People's reactions to events rather than the events themselves. Nonfiction can and does deal with these things, but fiction does so more predominantly. I find in fiction frameworks and contexts in which to place the real happenings of life.

And when it comes to nonfiction, I like memoirs, essays, travel books, etc., that don't just relate facts, but the author's relationship to those facts.

I like biographies and histories where the author gives as full as possible a picture of the psychological makeup of his subjects. That's why Robert Caro and David McCullough appeal to me. And Tom Wolfe, of course. And Joan Didion.
a gibbon running freely

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 25 Nov 2012, 19:32

Fiction.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 25 Nov 2012, 20:00

I read more factual books, I guess the cliche truth is stranger than fiction rings true for me.

Zong
A Chump Among Men

Postby Zong » 25 Nov 2012, 20:14

Non-fiction. Mainly to suit my slutty reading habits and tendency to leave things for ages or not finish everything. It seems a waste to not finish fiction properly but with non-fiction you still get something out of it if you just read the odd chapter. You've still learnt something factual, it's not so important to keep going to completion.
Anyone could join in so I discarded my jeans

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 25 Nov 2012, 20:25

Fiction.

The author's mind at work. And the imagination of the reader running wild.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 25 Nov 2012, 20:35

One of the dissatisfactions of reading nonfiction, for me, is my lack of retention. The facts I learn are only visiting, like the lines from plays I memorize. After that, I'll remember the sense of a character, or my reaction to an event, rather than specific facts.

Pretty much the same type of memory I have for fiction. Yet with fiction I get aesthetic pleasure while I'm reading. I read mainly for art's sake. And if I read nonfiction, I like it to be artful.
a gibbon running freely

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 25 Nov 2012, 22:55

Where's the 'both' option?

I normally have a fiction and a no-fiction book on the go at the same time.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 25 Nov 2012, 22:58

Fiction.
I don't tend to like people claiming things are true, as much as I like people making me feel like they are.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Nov 2012, 08:01

Corporate whore wrote:Where's the 'both' option?

I normally have a fiction and a no-fiction book on the go at the same time.

This applies to me too.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 26 Nov 2012, 10:22

I'm the same - I can't have too much of one thing, I need texture.

Having gorged myself on Borges in the year or so, I now tend to try and visualise my reading habits somewhat if that makes any sense.

I love the interconnection and synapse firing that reading any sort of History gives me. When you read about something and how it locks into place with something else that you've read about, the endorphins really start surging through the brain - I get a real rush out of it. But then, I can't really read too much of it and not be sucked into a world with great characters, plot and the like. The novel has become a really important part of my life, partly because I want to write one myself, but also because there's a tangible texture to fiction that you cannot get anywhere else. The fact that there are so many great stories out there is mind-boggling. The imagination that a novel sets off in your mind is extremely powerful - it only takes one page and almost instantly you have something implanted in your brain. When I read Borges, it was like someone had opened the top of my head and poured a galaxy into it.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 26 Nov 2012, 11:19

Both for me, too.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Return to “Nextdoorland”