88%

Total votes: 25

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Why British police don’t have guns

Postby The Prof » 19 Sep 2012, 11:18

Interesting article on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19641398

Oddly a 2006 survey suggests 82% of police don't want to be armed yet another survey the following year says 72% of the public want them to be armed. :?

To be clear they do sometimes carry guns but not routinely like they do in a lot of other countries.

The Prof

Re: Why British police don’t have guns

Postby The Prof » 19 Sep 2012, 11:19

Oh aye - you can place a vote and see if BCB agrees with the public or the plod.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Sep 2012, 11:22

The British Police were in the Danish news last night, two unarmed constables had been shot. Danish police used to be unarmed like the British police, but those days are long gone. Of course they should be armed.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 19 Sep 2012, 11:24

GoogaMooga wrote:The British Police were in the Danish news last night, two unarmed constables had been shot.

That's what sparked the article I linked to.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 Sep 2012, 11:25

Fuck no.

That recent shooting in New York... They got the bad guy but they also shot (what was it?) nine bystanders.

Of course the UK police would also be armed if something like that happened in London say, but there isn't actually a problem is there?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 19 Sep 2012, 11:32

The Prof wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:The British Police were in the Danish news last night, two unarmed constables had been shot.

That's what sparked the article I linked to.

Lured into a trap by a false burglary report, and attacked with a gun and a grenade.
Not sure what difference being armed would have made under those circumstances.
I think arming them would actually put them under greater risk-make them more of a target-and I think we have the balance about right in having armed officers available if needed.
Bless the weather.......Image

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 19 Sep 2012, 11:34

I see unarmed police as being an excellent indicator of a generally safe and, dare I say it, progressive society.

I'd say the UK gets the balance right on the whole, which is why incidents like yesterday are so shocking to us, rather than mundane.
Just a penitent man

Rated B

Postby Rated B » 19 Sep 2012, 11:41

Absolutely not.
And if I come in on a donkey, let me go out on a gurney

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 19 Sep 2012, 11:42

When I was incapacitated in hospital while recovering from a bad leg-break, the routine was unpleasantly disturbed by the arrival of (apparently) a high-security on the ward. He was ushered into the ward handcuffed to his bed and was hidden into a locked room at the end of the ward. What really shocked me was that police armed with machine guns were stationed at the doors of the ward; in order to obtain access during visiting hours, my parents had to tell the officer the name of the person they were visiting, while staring down the barrel of his gun.

As I'd always thought that UK police were unarmed, the whole incident was quite unnerving. Police were wandering through the ward at all times, and I sensed that the nurses were stressed out by the whole thing. I felt threatened, and wary that the ward could potentially be the site of a bloody gun battle like the ones you might see in a John Woo film. So I was really pleased when, after four or five days, the circus moved on and the ward returned to normal.

der nister

Postby der nister » 19 Sep 2012, 11:58

no, i always think of the brazilian guy murdered in the tube

however, they should have tazers, and obviously armed units when needed
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 19 Sep 2012, 12:00

funky_nomad wrote:I see unarmed police as being an excellent indicator of a generally safe and, dare I say it, progressive society.

I'd say the UK gets the balance right on the whole, which is why incidents like yesterday are so shocking to us, rather than mundane.

This. Much as it pains me to agrees with funky.

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 19 Sep 2012, 12:06

I don't trust the police, so I certainly don't want them to have guns.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 19 Sep 2012, 12:14

the hanging monkey wrote:I don't trust the police, so I certainly don't want them to have guns.

Funny isn't it that this time last week (or so), we were all bemoaning the fact that the police lied, sought to discredit the dead, covered they tracks and so on. I realise that the two unfortunate coppers killed yesterday were nothing to do with that and grew up in a post-Hillsborough world, but I wonder when people will start to join the dots.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 19 Sep 2012, 12:15

funky_nomad wrote:I see unarmed police as being an excellent indicator of a generally safe and, dare I say it, progressive society.

Quite right.

Obviously they do carry guns in heightened situations - police at airports tend to have guns, as did a significant number (but not a mojority) of the police on duty at the Olympic and Paralympic games.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 19 Sep 2012, 12:26

Seconded, and Andymacandy is right too: carrying a pistol or a larger gun will invite heavier pre-emptive violence against officers.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 19 Sep 2012, 12:35

brotherlouie wrote:
the hanging monkey wrote:I don't trust the police, so I certainly don't want them to have guns.

Funny isn't it that this time last week (or so), we were all bemoaning the fact that the police lied, sought to discredit the dead, covered they tracks and so on. I realise that the two unfortunate coppers killed yesterday were nothing to do with that and grew up in a post-Hillsborough world, but I wonder when people will start to join the dots.

What interests me about that is that so many statements were changed. In other words, the police that were there on the ground told the truth (possibly/probably knowing that those higher up the force wouldn't like it) and had their honest recollections altered.

quix

Postby quix » 19 Sep 2012, 12:35

arming the British police would put the public at risk as it would increase criminal arms use. the reason the sentencing of criminals usings guns against the police is so hefty is because the police are unarmed. as soon as you arm police criminals tool up to match, putting more people, not just the police, at greater risk.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 19 Sep 2012, 12:40

My dad, who was a copper, was armed. He hid his gun, which was a revolver, on top of the wardrobe.
I'd sneak it out (along with a Fiesta mag I also found up there) and show my friends. Luckily I never took it to school!

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 19 Sep 2012, 12:43

TheModernist wrote:My dad, who was a copper, was armed. He hid his gun, which was a revolver, on top of the wardrobe.
I'd sneak it out (along with a Fiesta mag I also found up there) and show my friends. Luckily I never took it to school!

Was Fiesta what I think it is? :shock:

Did you get traumatised, and have expensive therapy as a result?
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 Sep 2012, 12:53

TheModernist wrote:My dad, who was a copper, was armed. He hid his gun, which was a revolver, on top of the wardrobe.

The jazz mag or the gun? :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Return to “Nextdoorland”