Do you look for yourself in the search engine?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Do you put your board name in the search engine?

a) Never
46%
b) Rarely
28%
c) Often
21%
d) Always
5%

Total votes: 39

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Do you look for yourself in the search engine?

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Sep 2012, 10:01

Following on from this :

Diamond Dog wrote: Or are you one of these saddos who put your name in the search engine to find what others have said about you?

Dr Markus wrote:Yeah I do stick my name in the search function and I’d find it hard to believe I’m the only one or only part of a few that do.

I wonder - how many of us actually do stick our names in the search engine (to see if our name has been used somewhere on the board) and, if so, why?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: Do you look for yourself in the search engine?

Postby The Prof » 10 Sep 2012, 10:06

I check to make sure my business website is doing alright in the google rankings. I also search for 'prof' on here just to make sure someone's not asked a question asked something that I've missed.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 10 Sep 2012, 10:27

I've done it once or twice if I want to track a post I've made and have forgotten which thread it was in. I'm not interested in seeing if people have made particular comments about me: as a prog fan on BCB, you come to expect it (although since solarskope/BCBVogon shot himself in the foot again, things are a lot calmer in that regard.).

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Sep 2012, 10:38

This is fun :D , but it still doesn’t detract from the fact that you mention me needlessly, and as I said in that thread, I will follow up with a reply. Until you stop doing so, again as I said in that thread, the folk of BCB can enjoy more of our bickering. Anyway continue on...........
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 10 Sep 2012, 11:47

No idea what this is about, but no. I search for imperfectly remembered thread titles as a rule.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 10 Sep 2012, 12:18

No. If I'm looking for stuff I've posted I use the 'View Your Posts' facility from the user control panel.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 10 Sep 2012, 13:05

I never have, but then the search function here is so shit I rarely use it anyway.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Sep 2012, 13:13

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I never have, but then the search function here is so shit I rarely use it anyway.

:lol: :lol:

Same here. I was trying to refresh some old music thread recently, typed in some keywords but it never found it. I figured the only way I'd be able to find anything is if I typed "Beatles" into it.

I also think there's a function where you can find responses to recent threads you've posted to. I don't use that either.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 10 Sep 2012, 13:17, edited 2 times in total.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 10 Sep 2012, 13:14

Yes I do. Most likely to do so if I've been less active on the boards just in case there's something that's been said/asked that needs my attention. Or if there's been some thread that's already gone several pages that asks something BCB specific and I'm not investing the time to read the entirety of the thread.
If there was a sometimes option in the poll, I'd vote. I'm neither often nor rarely, though I lean more toward the latter.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 10 Sep 2012, 13:16

Interestingly, Daddy Longlegs just pointed out yesterday that if you hit the View your posts tab, part of the url in the taskbar shows up as "ego search".
Last edited by Sambient on 10 Sep 2012, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Sep 2012, 13:16

sloopjohnc wrote: I figured the only way I'd be able to find anything is if I typed "Beatles" into it.

I just put "Beatles" into it and it crashed my computer.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Sep 2012, 13:39

It was fartpants that put me on to the idea if i'm being honest. I remember him saying it was one of the first things he did when he logged on here. I also use it to find threads that i have most recently being posting in.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 10 Sep 2012, 13:44

Sambient wrote:If there was a sometimes option in the poll, I'd vote. I'm neither often nor rarely, though I lean more toward the latter.

Same goes for me.

How do people like Diamond Dog do that search? Both of those words are fairly common. It's easy for me, as 'Coan' doesn't come up unless it's in reference to me.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Sep 2012, 13:47

solarskope wrote:
Sambient wrote:If there was a sometimes option in the poll, I'd vote. I'm neither often nor rarely, though I lean more toward the latter.

Same goes for me.

How do people like Diamond Dog do that search? Both of those words are fairly common. It's easy for me, as 'Coan' doesn't come up unless it's in reference to me.

I just look for 'lonely' 'wanker' 'sad' 'fat' 'pies' or 'heroin' - that normally identifies the poster I want to single out. :lol:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 10 Sep 2012, 13:47

I *think* you'd type "Diamond Dog" and it'll find all the instances of both words being used in that order

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 10 Sep 2012, 16:02

Dr Markus wrote:It was fartpants that put me on to the idea if i'm being honest. I remember him saying it was one of the first things he did when he logged on here.

Well it is now that I don't post here very often. When I was on BCB every day there was no need to do it, but if I haven't been on for a couple of weeks, I'll put Fartpants in the search box just to see if anyone has been making reference or taking the piss or whatever.

That's how I found this thread. :P

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 10 Sep 2012, 17:14

Never do.

As a consequence, I get surprised pretty frequently. That is when someone re-activates an old thread, and bumps it with a new reply - it doesn't have to be really antique, a couple of months will do.

Then I see some post of my own, that I'd totally forgotten about, and I get a jolt: did I really write this??

The funniest occasions are when I can't really agree with myself, and these do occur. On various topics.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Zeke

Postby Zeke » 10 Sep 2012, 17:21

In this day and age you kind of have to do it from time to time just to check and see what sort of information out there is available to all and sundry who might search for it.

It's extremely important to do so if you're about to embark on a job search. You'd be a bit of an idiot not to as you can be sure that any prospective employer will be doing so.

Ah, you meant here. No, not really.

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 10 Sep 2012, 17:45

Diamond Dog wrote:I wonder - how many of us actually do stick our names in the search engine (to see if our name has been used somewhere on the board) and, if so, why?
I certainly do. I do it to see if anyone's mentioned my name or quoted one of my posts (in either case, there's a fair chance i'd want to respond).

Obviously, far more people are talking about a certain song than actually talking to me. :( Maybe i should have been more imaginative when picking my username.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Sep 2012, 18:41

Obsessively. How else am I to know what people really think of me?

In fact just now, after I typed that, I had to search for my name to see if anyone was laughing at me for my obsessive searches. So far, no one is. This makes me want to be more revealing on BCB and not so closed in. What do you guys think of this? Wait a minute - time for a search.

No one's talking about me yet. I feel paranoid.

Return to “Nextdoorland”