no, and it doesn't bother me
26%

Total votes: 50

caramba

Re: are you wealthy?

Postby caramba » 02 Nov 2018, 14:32

the bile flowing wrote:
RELD-LOMAX inc. wrote:
fire and fueryIre wrote:Hopefully things will have picked up the next time I'm back

:|

¡Ay, caramba!

fueryhk...

Skope...

Markus...

Minnie...

Just a few of the people I've been outed as allegedly being these last few months.

All goes to show that I'm a "great bunch of lads" as dear old Doc M* would have said

* or possibly I myself

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 02 Nov 2018, 15:50

Goat Boy wrote:I think I'll be ok when I retire but I could probably do with a couple of savvy property moves before then (that's the wankiest thing I've ever said).

Doubtful.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Nov 2018, 17:59

yomptepi wrote:and I have never been extravagant

What the fuck do you call all those electric guitars then? How many can you play at one time, Mr. Octupus?

I had a friend of mine who was a very high ranking fire official in Reno, NV. He was trying to tell a group of old friends that civil servants like himself were just doing "okay" as far as pay.

Then, he proceeded to tell us about his 3,500 sq. ft. home he'd built and the seven Harleys he had in his garage.

I was going to call him out on the contradiction, but felt, "What's the point?"
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 02 Nov 2018, 18:15

sloopjohnc wrote:

What the fuck do you call all those electric guitars then? How many can you play at one time, Mr. Octupus?

I had a friend of mine who was a very high ranking fire official in Reno, NV. He was trying to tell a group of old friends that civil servants like himself were just doing "okay" as far as pay.

Then, he proceeded to tell us about his 3,500 sq. ft. home he'd built and the seven Harleys he had in his garage.

Well you obviously are not a musician...

Not that I have to justify myself, but I have been buying guitars for 45 years. Most of them are worthless. All of them are my children, and I find it very hard to let them go, even though I know i should. I have actually managed to let a few go recently. Only 27 left...
You don't like me...do you?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Nov 2018, 18:32

yomptepi wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Not a wealthy one, anyway.

I have two acoustic guitars and two electric guitars and I feel I'm being extravagant with that many.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 02 Nov 2018, 19:40

If you think a few old guitars make me a wealthy man, maybe you consider whether a second home in the woods does the same for you.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Nov 2018, 19:53

yomptepi wrote:If you think a few old guitars make me a wealthy man, maybe you consider whether a second home in the woods does the same for you.

Sad but true.
Even old and rare guitars are only worth a few grand.
Not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

By which I mean if I sold all my (3) guitars and various bits of tatty old analogue gear it wouldn’t make a dent in the sort of finincial hole I’m in.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 02 Nov 2018, 20:13

I don't count my chickens.
Well, I do, but I don't if you get me.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Nov 2018, 20:20

yomptepi wrote:If you think a few old guitars make me a wealthy man, maybe you consider whether a second home in the woods does the same for you.

A) the home in the woods is not a second home. I rent a one-bedroom apartment here in the Bay Area and I sleep on the floor while my son sleeps in a bed in the bedroom. The house is an investment and is being rented out until I retire because I can't afford where I live now. The plan is to move there and work for probably 5-6 more years as a substitute high school teacher after I turn 65.

We live in a consumer society and I never said I wasn't extravagant. I'm sure there are wonderful musicians in Africa, better than you and I combined, who only own one of their instrument and are happy to have that. Rationalizing your collection doesn't make you a better musician than me. It's not bad to have so many guitars, but it's just your rationalization to have so many. That's fine. Just don't say you're not extravagant.

I use to own thousands of LPs and book, myself. My wife used to ask me when I was going to listen and read them all and I told her when I retired. But that was my rationalization. I don't own them anymore for practical reasons, but I still have two boxes of CDs in my storage area and I mean to go through those because they're taking up too much room. And there's probably music I won't listen to even though I like it.

We all own far more music than we probably need. I did and still do. It's extravagant. But it's an extravagance I can live with and rationalize because it's something I like. I used to feel a little bad owning as much as I did and spending my time with my extravagances over more productive things I could be doing, but my selfishness was tolerated by my family because they understood what they meant to me. That was nice of them and one of the reasons why I love them.

I own three basketballs now. I don't need three. I only need one. And I'm a decent basketball player, probably as good as you're a musician and have been playing it as long as you've been playing guitar - probably longer. But if someone asked me why I have three, the only real answer I could come up with is, "I dunno." I don't have a very good reason.

I learned two things today on BCB. You don't like being called on your bullshit and you get personal when someone does.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 02 Nov 2018, 20:25

I get personal!!!

Jesus wept...

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Nov 2018, 20:28

yomptepi wrote:I get personal!!!

Jesus wept...

Good comeback.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 02 Nov 2018, 20:37

Do you want me to send you some guitars to make you feel better about yourself John?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 02 Nov 2018, 20:43

sloopjohnc wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Not a wealthy one, anyway.

I have two acoustic guitars and two electric guitars and I feel I'm being extravagant with that many.

I have a mate who has 75 guitars.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 02 Nov 2018, 20:54

Positive Passion wrote:
I have a mate who has 75 guitars.

* suddenly feels deprived *

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 02 Nov 2018, 21:42

My brother has loads of guitars that he is given for nothing. He also has his own signature model.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Nov 2018, 21:51

Jeemo wrote:He also has his own signature model.

Is that an attractive woman he just practices his signature on? That really is flash.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 02 Nov 2018, 22:46

Jeemo wrote:My brother has loads of guitars that he is given for nothing. He also has his own signature model.

Well, our overly judgmental Californian would obviously regard him as wealthy and extravagant. How very dare he.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 03 Nov 2018, 02:54

No.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 Nov 2018, 15:27

Retired with a very low paying p-t job and my wife still working for clerks wages we're well off enough to live nicely however we don't have enough to fly abroad like we used to so I am missing out on some family functions. That bothers me a bit. Yes, we had more back a few years but airline prices are way too high these day. Used to be able to find a bargain but now they've nailed down the trans-Pacific prices and we're stuck. Luckily we're stuck here. :D
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Nov 2018, 15:34

I can't recall if I replied on this thread or not, but here goes... I'd be just fine, financially, if I didn't have to pay my ex child support and spousal support. We split custody of the kids evenly, so I have them three days one week and four days the next. But her job pays so very little that she still gouges me for $1400 a month - $1000 for child support, and $400 for spousal. I can't even afford to pay her all of this money, and have to go into my savings every month to do it. We sold our house when I filed for divorce and that money is all I have. The savings is dwindling every month. I figure I'll pretty much have no savings left by the time my youngest is out of high school (one daughter is 14, the other is 10).
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'