no, and it bothers me
28%
no, and it doesn't bother me
26%

Total votes: 50

Robert

Re: are you wealthy?

Postby Robert » 10 Nov 2018, 16:58

yomptepi wrote:Do you want me to send you some guitars to make you feel better about yourself John?

He doesn’t want them. Send them to me instead!

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 10 Nov 2018, 18:13

My parent’s estate means I’ll probably be able to pay off our mortgage relatively soonish, which will help somewhat. We are comfortable to a certain extent, but don’t have any significant financial assets apart from the house and neither of our pensions are much either. My wife’s business is going well, but in terms of income there is a ceiling because expanding it would probably be more hassle than it’s worth. When I return to work I imagine we will buy a bigger house, hopefully one we will stay in for the future.

It’s a contrast to when I originally posted.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 Nov 2018, 20:50

Doesn't look like I did post on this originally, but I seem to remember posting on another very similar one. I live in a detached 3-bed house in one of the nicest areas in Wigan, and the mortgage could be paid off with savings quite easily. But if I moved to London I'd struggle to buy a one-bed flat in a half-decent area, so I guess it's all relative. I'm paid decently enough (way over the local average, but again wouldn't exactly be great even in Manchester) , and my wife's paid pretty well for someone who only works four days a week. We have no money worries at all, at present. If I were made redundant though, which isn't that remote a possibility, and I struggled to find a job, we'd be worried. Proposed pension at retirement age is peanuts, which is a worry, but I'm planning funding my pensionable years through crime, and appealing for clemency based on lack of accountability.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 10 Nov 2018, 22:04

I am on disability allowance, and at 67 will receive the lower old age pension instead, provided the welfare state does not collapse. Should it collapse, I still stand to inherit half a house; the sale of that should see me through the last few years. If it weren't for collecting, I wouldn't need much anyway. And my collecting is winding down, for reasons of space...
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Nextdoorland”