Assholes
41%
Nice people
59%

Total votes: 22

Davey the Fat Boy

Assholes vs. Nice People

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 31 Jul 2012, 20:18

Given that this is BCB, this should be a contest.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Sneelock

Re: Assholes vs. Nice People

Postby Sneelock » 31 Jul 2012, 20:19

Nice people gave me a ride to the store so I pick nice people.
uggy poopy doody.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 31 Jul 2012, 20:21

So sort of Macandy vs everyone else?
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 31 Jul 2012, 20:25

Nikki Gradual wrote:So sort of Macandy vs everyone else?
Oi! He can be quite mean when he wants to be! He just chooses not to be most of the time.

Don't be dissing the Mcandy1

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 31 Jul 2012, 20:33

I have been in Japan for twenty some years and so far everyone has been nice to me. I haven't had a fight nor hardly even been scolded. I see other Japanese taking shit and getting in fights but I must conclude, so far, that the Japanese are nice.
Question authority.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Jul 2012, 20:37

Jimbo2 wrote:I have been in Japan for twenty some years and so far everyone has been nice to me. I haven't had a fight nor hardly even been scolded. I see other Japanese taking shit and getting in fights but I must conclude, so far, that the Japanese are nice.

I concur.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Jul 2012, 20:38

Ha! I think I just voted "assholes" by mistake! Oh, well...
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 31 Jul 2012, 20:42

Christ. After dipping into a couple of threads I'm giving my vote to the assholes.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 31 Jul 2012, 20:45

i think in a fight between assholes and nice people, the assholes would probably win. my reasoning: as they are assholes, they're probably gonna fight dirty and hit below the belt and kidney-smack and hair-pull and all that crap. assholes are the kinda people who will turn on the count of two in a duel and shoot. nice people, on the other hand, generally don't wanna fight at all, and even when they are forced to for hypothetical reasons, most of em aren't accustomed to fighting. their hearts aren't really in it. therefore, i think assholes have the edge, the assholes.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Jul 2012, 20:55

Poppypoobah wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:So sort of Macandy vs everyone else?
Oi! He can be quite mean when he wants to be! He just chooses not to be most of the time.

Don't be dissing the Mcandy1

I think you've missed the inent of the post...... :lol:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 31 Jul 2012, 21:03

GoogaMooga wrote:
Jimbo2 wrote:I have been in Japan for twenty some years and so far everyone has been nice to me. I haven't had a fight nor hardly even been scolded. I see other Japanese taking shit and getting in fights but I must conclude, so far, that the Japanese are nice.

I concur.

One time in Tokyo this really drunk Japanese guy in a suit started harassing us, bellowing obscenities in broken English. Oddly there wasn't really anyone else around.

What we would have found mildly annoying almost anywhere else in the world we found unnerving and kind of scary, just because that sort of thing never happens there, which is part of why I like it.

Japan's social code may be overly rigid compared with ours in the West, but it generally works, so that you're not approached by aggressive and potentially harmful weirdos. Generally.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

kath

Postby kath » 31 Jul 2012, 21:22

i have never been there, so i'm speaking as an outsider... but it certainly does seem that japan has a kinda civilized undercurrent that manifests, at least in part, in less in-yer-face aggression or violent crime.

i tell ya, though... i *would* like to hear from some chickarinas who've been over there. maybe things are different *now*, but when i was a grad student twenty years ago, a good friend of mine, an irish wench named sheila, had spent some years teaching there. she had her own horror stories on how women in general were treated. i would most certainly have major probs living in any country where women are demonstrably, noticeably, culturally, legally, directly and/or implicitly, second-class citizens compared to men, any men or men in a relationship, whatever. lord knows if japan is still that way, it's hardly alone as those types of places go. but i think sometimes you guys who travel all over the world and have such a great time in some of these places... i just can't help the sneaking suspicion that if *i* were in yer panty hose and *i* were runnin around being me... there would be major hell to pay. i have this feeling i might meet all manner of assholiness, ya know?

i really would luvv to be proven wrong on this, by the way.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 31 Jul 2012, 21:24

kath wrote:i think in a fight between assholes and nice people, the assholes would probably win. my reasoning: as they are assholes, they're probably gonna fight dirty and hit below the belt and kidney-smack and hair-pull and all that crap. assholes are the kinda people who will turn on the count of two in a duel and shoot. nice people, on the other hand, generally don't wanna fight at all, and even when they are forced to for hypothetical reasons, most of em aren't accustomed to fighting. their hearts aren't really in it. therefore, i think assholes have the edge, the assholes.

I dunno. I consider myself a nice guy and once clocked a guy in a fight with a fire extinguisher that was hanging nearby.

I think you can be both and even nice people can muster the resources when needed.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 31 Jul 2012, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 31 Jul 2012, 21:33

THE BODY PARTS MEETING TO DECIDE WHO IS IN CHARGE

The brain said "I do all the thinking so I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

The eyes said "I see everything and let the rest of you know where we are, so I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

The hands said: "Without me we wouldn't be able to pick anything up or move anything. So I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

The stomach said: "I turn the food we eat into energy for the rest of you. Without me, we'd starve. So I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

The legs said: "Without me we wouldn't be able to move anywhere. I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

Then the rectum said: "I think I should be in charge."
All the rest of the parts said: YOU?!!
You don't do anything! You're not as important as we are, surely!
You can't be in charge!"

So the rectum stopped working...
After a few days, the legs were all wobbly,
the stomach was all queasy,
the hands were all shaky,
the eyes were all watery,
and the brain was all cloudy.

MORAL OF THE STORY

It only takes one asshole to shut down a job and an asshole is always in charge of everything.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 31 Jul 2012, 21:42

kath wrote:i have never been there, so i'm speaking as an outsider... but it certainly does seem that japan has a kinda civilized undercurrent that manifests, at least in part, in less in-yer-face aggression or violent crime.

i tell ya, though... i *would* like to hear from some chickarinas who've been over there. maybe things are different *now*, but when i was a grad student twenty years ago, a good friend of mine, an irish wench named sheila, had spent some years teaching there. she had her own horror stories on how women in general were treated. i would most certainly have major probs living in any country where women are demonstrably, noticeably, culturally, legally, directly and/or implicitly, second-class citizens compared to men, any men or men in a relationship, whatever. lord knows if japan is still that way, it's hardly alone as those types of places go. but i think sometimes you guys who travel all over the world and have such a great time in some of these places... i just can't help the sneaking suspicion that if *i* were in yer panty hose and *i* were runnin around being me... there would be major hell to pay. i have this feeling i might meet all manner of assholiness, ya know?

i really would luvv to be proven wrong on this, by the way.

I think it's still a pretty sexist society. As a visitor, I don't feel in a position to mount criticism though. It's not my place, however much the idea of women as second-class citizens rankles.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

kath

Postby kath » 31 Jul 2012, 21:43

sloopjohnc wrote:
kath wrote:i think in a fight between assholes and nice people, the assholes would probably win. my reasoning: as they are assholes, they're probably gonna fight dirty and hit below the belt and kidney-smack and hair-pull and all that crap. assholes are the kinda people who will turn on the count of two in a duel and shoot. nice people, on the other hand, generally don't wanna fight at all, and even when they are forced to for hypothetical reasons, most of em aren't accustomed to fighting. their hearts aren't really in it. therefore, i think assholes have the edge, the assholes.

I dunno. I consider myself a nice guy and once clocked a guy with a fire extinguisher that was hanging nearby.

I think you can be both and even nice people can muster the resources when needed.

yeah. i do agree. i mean, look at kwai chang caine. he was the sweetest, most peace-luvvin individual in the entire old west coast west, and yet when he had to, he was the leanest, meanest sumbitch who could whoop ass on a whole townful of assholes.

i think i am a nice person. well, i am basically a nice person. okay, i meannnnn, i do have my violent side, i do know how to handle a bladed weapon, i do get in my bloody moods, but as a general rule most of the time, i am a nice person. just like you, i've had to get into it a few times in my life. i never clocked anyone with a fire extinguisher (sounds like a most excellent sense of adlibbing with whatever's around, to me), but i have broken a painting over a guy's head. i have clocked a few guys for... shall we say, grabbing a part of me that should never be grabbed without my permission. the only time i ever got in a real fight with other chicks was one time in high school. it was still an all-girl school back then. i was smokin in the girls' room when a gang of jerkwad chicks tried to take my purse and split with it. they were not successful.

so yer point is well-taken. nice people overall may not like to fight and may not do it all that often, but that doesn't mean they can't do it. and it's usually the assholes who make em show their skills. i would still argue that the majority of nice people have never been in a single fist fight or bar brawl or bloodying-another-in-self-defense or any of that crap. i could be wrong. maybe we should take a poll of all the nice people here on this board and see if they've had any fight experience. lotsa nice people on this board. ummm... hold on, lemme think. sensi and beebsy aint here, are they? er... *

*i am kidding, people. you know i luvv y'all. deep down, y'all are as sweet as the day is two-dimensional. ::smack::

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 31 Jul 2012, 22:08

Wouldn't you say sloop that you had to become an asshole to win against an asshole?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 31 Jul 2012, 22:12

The fact that assholes are winning currently only means that we're a pretentious lot. I'm sure the people that voted assholes (and probably fancy themselves as qualifying) are some of the nicest people here. You ain't an asshole, dick!
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 31 Jul 2012, 22:21

Who you callin' a dick, asshole??? ;)
(a boisterous round of Popeye fighting)
uggy poopy doody.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 31 Jul 2012, 22:47

Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Return to “Nextdoorland”