participate
No votes
perform
17%

Total votes: 6

Bungo the Mungo

taking part (or not)

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 14 Jul 2012, 10:03

I don't understand how people can stand (or sit) and watch a performance for two or three hours - even if they're a big fan of whoever is doing the performing. It's a passive activity - at most you're called on to sing along, cheer and clap.

Taking part makes it better - aren't all teachers told that students learn best when they're given work to do, rather than just asked to listen and take notes? and one step above that is to do the performing yourself. It may be nervewracking, but surely it's much more satisfying.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: taking part (or not)

Postby yomptepi » 14 Jul 2012, 10:05

Have you gone raving mad?
The last thing I want to see at a gig is a bunch of self obsessed wanker trying to join in.

what the fuck?
You don't like me...do you?

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 14 Jul 2012, 10:06

I leave doing stuff to people who do it well.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 14 Jul 2012, 10:08

Some are performers, some are observers; some are stars, some are fans. It's the way of the world.

Besides, it's entertainment isn't it? You're not supposed to learn anything.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 14 Jul 2012, 10:08

I suppose with people seriously discussing the merits of Blur albums, we really have reached the point where 99% of the audience could do a better job than the cunts on the stage.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 14 Jul 2012, 10:14

yomptepi wrote:Have you gone raving mad?
The last thing I want to see at a gig is a bunch of self obsessed wanker trying to join in.

what the fuck?

You've got me wrong.

I'm saying if you had the choice of being an artist, or watching an artist perform (or somewhere in the middle) - what would you prefer?

It's a bit like travelling with someone - are you happy enough if they read the map to you, and tell you where you're going, or do you need to get hold of the map and look for yourself?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 14 Jul 2012, 10:20

BUCHT wrote:
yomptepi wrote:Have you gone raving mad?

what the fuck?

You've got me wrong.

I'm saying if you had the choice of being an artist, or watching an artist perform (or somewhere in the middle) - what would you prefer?

It's a bit like travelling with someone - are you happy enough if they read the map to you, and tell you where you're going, or do you need to get hold of the map and look for yourself?

A shy and retiring recluse like me could never get up and perform. Never. :(

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 14 Jul 2012, 10:39

:D

Hugh wrote:I leave doing stuff to people who do it well.

What can you do well?

Deebank wrote:Some are performers, some are observers; some are stars, some are fans.

And you?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Jul 2012, 12:39

I had the urge to create when I was young, not content with just watching movies, I had to make some myself. Knowing that fiction films were beyond my abilities, I set out to make documentaries, three in total. it just left me 17 grand in the red, but at least i can say I have done something in my life. As for performing, I don't quite understand the premise, that it's more fun to put on a show yourself than to go to a show? Haven't we all suffered through high school dramas? Leave it to the pros.
1966 and all that

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 14 Jul 2012, 22:27

In terms of music, absolutely. I prefer playing music to sitting around listening to other people play music, especially on a lower level. Maybe there are a few artists that I really love where I am happy to just sit there and listen, but on any kind of lower level, especially bars or parties, it's maddening to hear people play when I would rather be doing it myself. In terms of "reading the map for myself" as well as just having something to do. I usually prefer helping the host at parties to sitting around talking too. Hearing other people play covers is even more frustrating, because then it's not their original music and therefore something they know better than me; hearing people play Beatles, Bowie, Who, Stones, etc. covers is the most frustrating thing of all. I'd rather be doing it!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 14 Jul 2012, 22:40

Thanks, Jim. I knew you'd get what I was talking about.

What prompted this was all the talk about Springsteen's 3-hour sets. It may be more to do with ADD than a desire to do the job myself, but I couldn't stand to watch something like that for that length of time, essentially doing very little. It surprises me how people don't get bored.

I'm with you on the helping-out-the-host thing too. It's easier having something to do in a social situation. It's always more fun working together with people on something you're all into, than sitting around trying to find things to talk about.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 15 Jul 2012, 00:55

Yes, totally. Having work to do together is a very fun bonding thing, as well as exempting you from the normal social things of "So what do you do?" and so on.

With shows, normally I find shows pretty unsatisfying anyway, and if they go on and on, yes, I wonder if everybody's really enjoying it that much more than I am. Unless the playing has you hanging on every note (jazz, Grateful Dead, Richard Thompson...) or there is a lot of spectacle (KISS, Roger Waters), there's not much to do except wait for the songs you like then pray for a swift exit. Most rock shows are boring but are played out by both audience and musician alike as if they aren't, just so everybody can say they had a good time. It's not unlike a sort of bad sex experience where there is some enjoyment, a lot of emptiness, and lots of pretending!

The Springsteen thing might be an exception -- it's possible his show is so involving or hits emotional notes to consistently that the audience really almost feels they are doing something. This is the sort of thing Pete Townshend talked about in terms of early '70s Who shows, where the audience felt so involved (I think determined by talking to them, as well as seeing their en masse reactions to things) and the band got so much from them being there that it really was a two-way thing and the audience was totally locked in. This probably started to change in the bigger stadium shows where going to the show was just a social event and record industry guys got all the front-row seats just to sit around and talk to their chicks the whole time. I know I am riveted to the screen when I watch things like the Isle of Wight show. It's really interesting to watch because energy keeps erupting in different places because one person gets inspired, then the band goes along, then someone else gets inspired, and so on. Most bands (or indeed The Who in lesser times) aren't like that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

John Mc

Postby John Mc » 15 Jul 2012, 01:36

Well, it's also down to knowing what you can do acceptably well....

I 'can't' (won't) sing (because I never acquired any confidence to); I 'can't' play an instrument, publicly, at least, but I can jam quite reasonably on keyboards in a loose group setting (I don't read music, BTW). I would never do karaoke.

I can't 'draw' or paint very well, but I have a pretty good compositional and photographer's eye.

I 'can't' write fiction or autobiography/a diary, or any kind of story beyond pastiche and parody, but I can produce outstanding essays or critiques, if needed. At least, I am very literate, and can impress on paper. Here? Well, I'm a magpie, I guess, I don't try too much here.

I can't (well, won't) dance - but I can stand up and give an outstanding talk or lecture, if I'm in the mood - but I'm a jazz/beatnik guy in that, I can bebop, and hippety hop and scat and that, but I can't be a slave to a script. That might be the key, actually, I wouldn't want to be directed, at all, but otherwise I would act, so there's obviously an element of show-off in me.

I don't do 'being (job) interviewed very well at all, but I can act to camera, that's good fun.

And so on...

But, well, taking part. I guess I want to do it well (not necessarily 'professional', but at least entertainingly) and that that the audience are likely to enjoy it before I'll have a go. So I wouldn't get my kit off for that Women's Institute production of 'Hair', but if they were doing 'Rocky Horror', I would certainly be very willing to explain those Timewarp moves, given a big pointer and a whiteboard....
quix wrote:If you want to really live then you have to open yourself up to love... some you'll win, some you'll lose... but what is the point if being human if you don't dare?

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 15 Jul 2012, 04:56

I don't like performers telling me what to do. I paid money to see them. If I clap or dance or put my hands in the air to wave them like I just don't care, I want it to be MY idea.
gash on ignore wrote:At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.