18%
No
82%

Total votes: 11

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: Bahrain Grand Prix Y/N

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Apr 2012, 17:38

Captain Jazzmag wrote:I've been humming 'ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-Bahrain' all day, to the tune of the Beach Boys' Barbara-Ann. This is probably a bit wrong.

Not least because The Regents had a top 20 hit with it years before The Beach Boys' cover version. ;)
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Captain Jazzmag

Postby Captain Jazzmag » 20 Apr 2012, 17:51

I was using the Beach Boys' arrangement.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 20 Apr 2012, 18:16

Diamond Dog wrote:I suppose the F1 teams have taken into account the risks to themselves, their drivers and their cars etc and consider it all worthwhile.

That they have chosen to completely ignore the human rights issues is their choice. Which, hopefully, will come home to roost by those same drivers and cars getting blown to fucking smithereens, some time over the weekend.

I suppose this is my position too, generally speaking, although I do really like F1.
However, that has to be informed by the feeling that once again, sport is the medium being ask to shoulder the responsibility while quietly in the background big business carries on dealing with said (saud?) regime hoping nobody will notice.
Bless the weather.......Image

brotherlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Bahrain Grand Prix Y/N

Postby brotherlouie » 20 Apr 2012, 18:40

The idea that multi-national über-capitalists are not political is, frankly, laughable.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 20 Apr 2012, 18:45

brotherlouie wrote:The idea that multi-national über-capitalists are not political is, frankly, laughable.

Yeah, it is, but Im quite sure that fiscal expediency overrules 99.99% of the political bones in their bodies..............
Bless the weather.......Image

Jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby Jude » 21 Apr 2012, 01:13

Good question. If they don't feel safe doing it, then of course they should pull out.

Away from safety, i don't know to what extent they're driven (excuse the pun) by the men with the money. If, say, Red Bull pulled out on ethical (rather than safety) grounds, what would the FOM/FIA do to the team? I wouldn't be surprised if this was ultimately the FOM's or FIA's decision, and the teams (and therefore the drivers and other staff) are simply following their lead.

Diamond Dog wrote:hopefully...those same drivers and cars getting blown to fucking smithereens, some time over the weekend.
I really hope you don't actually mean this.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

yellowjacket

Postby yellowjacket » 21 Apr 2012, 03:04

F-1 has always been filled with people who think of themselves as jet setters who travel the world and race these extremely fast cars. So if these racers want to strap themselves in cars that could result in their untimely deaths I say go for it. The only flags that should wave are the green and checkered......They have 364 other days a year to protest the bad human conditions.
How would you like to be remembered? Oh I don't know. I suppose if we are remembered as a great little rock and roll band it would be fine.........

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Apr 2012, 05:41

Jude wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:hopefully...those same drivers and cars getting blown to fucking smithereens, some time over the weekend.
I really hope you don't actually mean this.

Of course I don't. But I do mean that, if you ignore the obvious political undertones and go ahead regardless, you do kind of invite an attack of this type.
The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.