Which of these have you eaten and enjoyed?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

I have eaten and really rather liked....

Snails
8%
Black pudding (blood sausage)
9%
Raw oysters
8%
Frogs' legs
5%
Dog
No votes
Horse
3%
Carpaccio (raw beef)
8%
Sushi
11%
Octopus
11%
Tripe
3%
Mussels
11%
Pigs' ears
2%
Rabbit
9%
Goat
8%
Other (please name)
2%

Total votes: 358

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Re: Which of these have you eaten and enjoyed?

Postby kath » 03 Apr 2012, 01:24

Baron Benevolent wrote:
Nolamike wrote:
kath wrote:even one my most beluvved of sea crittern, the oyster, should be cooked before eating.
:o :(
It's a damn shame. :cry:

excusez-moi, bitches, but i am no less an oyster lover just cuz i don't like em raw. i love my oysters deep-fried, in soups, in stews, broiled, baked, barbecued, bienvilled, bedipped, brockerfellered and in bitchin configurations of my own design. i daresay i've eaten more oysters in my life than both of ye combined. and yet ye have the nerve to imply i am a lesser being, a pathetic case, simply cuz i hate the taste and texture of oysters raw???

i won't be having any of this, i can tell yew. oh no.

i might even point out that the whole raw oyster craze was a fluke, a joke, anything BUT the oysterian letter of the culinary law some make it out to be... that it all started out as a drunken bet between two rich bastards from new orleans, in the 18th century, after they spent a week shooting absinthe and dancin barefoot on slugs in the ole garden district. google it up if ya don't know it. the raw-oyster eating that's sposed to be so 'naturally n'awlins'~~which all other oyster-eaters elsewhere in the world imitate cuz they think new orleans things make em hip~~is really a fake, a manufactured ploy designed by a guy who wanted to win a bet on what he could "sell" to people as an edible craze, people being the gullible sheep they so truly are. talk about irony, knockin me for not following the flock. when you eat oysters raw, it's like buying a zulu coconut offa ebay or making a hurricane from a powdered mix only a hundred times worse, cuz some rich jerkwad invented that coconut and that hurricane in the first place just to make money offa how stoopit y'all really are. geezussss. i can only hope that yer pickin up on a valuable lesson here, one that'll allow you to see things from a proper historical perspective, cuz if ya do, you'll realize that, even though i'm making it all up for the helluvit while i'm bored spitless and waitin for my fucquin roast to finish, it could be true, and even if it isnt, y'all really need to get up offa my ass about it, or i'll track ya both down and show you the true meaning of shucked.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 03 Apr 2012, 01:38

Dang! kath is steady trippin'!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 03 Apr 2012, 01:52

sloopjohnc wrote:I'm wondering if there are any Americans on here who've eaten Rocky Mountain Oysters?
Yes and I think I mentioned it on page 1 and then Harvey made fun of me calling them cow's testicles which as a former farm girl, I was hoping no one would notice my error.

I quite liked them, to be honest they were probably the best tasting balls I've ever had in my mouth.

Because they were deep fried.

Can't do that to the balls I normally have in my mouth.
Last edited by Poppypoobah on 03 Apr 2012, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.

wilson

Postby wilson » 03 Apr 2012, 01:54

Disgusting.
Oh well, what the feck.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 03 Apr 2012, 01:58

Baron Benevolent wrote:Dang! kath is steady trippin'!

am not.

wait. can i be steady trippin on coffee?

maybe that's steady drippin.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 03 Apr 2012, 02:11

We have restaurants here that specialize in cabrito (baby goat).

I don't have it often, but it is tasty meat.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Apr 2012, 02:22

Oddly, Japanese don't eat raw oysters.
Gadfly

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 03 Apr 2012, 02:37

kath wrote:i daresay i've eaten more oysters in my life than both of ye combined.

Not to relive painful memories, but lemme draw your attention to the abomination of a playoff game, Saints v. Seahawks, January 2011. I went to a house party, thrown by a buddy who apparently decided to buy P&J Oysters' entire inventory. Too nervous to keep watching the game, which was NOT going well, I ended up spending the better part of four hours shucking oysters and downing 'em. I must've had two dozen dozen all by myself. And, er, there have been other incidents like that in my time. :oops:
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 03 Apr 2012, 02:50

kath wrote:excusez-moi, bitches, but i am no less an oyster lover just cuz i don't like em raw. i love my oysters deep-fried, in soups, in stews, broiled, baked, barbecued, bienvilled, bedipped, brockerfellered and in bitchin configurations of my own design. i daresay i've eaten more oysters in my life than both of ye combined. and yet ye have the nerve to imply i am a lesser being, a pathetic case, simply cuz i hate the taste and texture of oysters raw???

i won't be having any of this, i can tell yew. oh no.

i might even point out that the whole raw oyster craze was a fluke, a joke, anything BUT the oysterian letter of the culinary law some make it out to be... that it all started out as a drunken bet between two rich bastards from new orleans, in the 18th century, after they spent a week shooting absinthe and dancin barefoot on slugs in the ole garden district. google it up if ya don't know it. the raw-oyster eating that's sposed to be so 'naturally n'awlins'~~which all other oyster-eaters elsewhere in the world imitate cuz they think new orleans things make em hip~~is really a fake, a manufactured ploy designed by a guy who wanted to win a bet on what he could "sell" to people as an edible craze, people being the gullible sheep they so truly are. talk about irony, knockin me for not following the flock. when you eat oysters raw, it's like buying a zulu coconut offa ebay or making a hurricane from a powdered mix only a hundred times worse, cuz some rich jerkwad invented that coconut and that hurricane in the first place just to make money offa how stoopit y'all really are. geezussss. i can only hope that yer pickin up on a valuable lesson here, one that'll allow you to see things from a proper historical perspective, cuz if ya do, you'll realize that, even though i'm making it all up for the helluvit while i'm bored spitless and waitin for my fucquin roast to finish, it could be true, and even if it isnt, y'all really need to get up offa my ass about it, or i'll track ya both down and show you the true meaning of shucked.

Gee, you sound like you know what you're talking about, which is a rarity around these parts.

But still, the mere fact (and I'll grant it that status 1) for the sake of argument and 2) because you're probably right) that the very idea of eating raw oysters is the result of a bet, does not, in itself, render raw oysters bad to eat. The fact that if they're not super-fresh or very well preserved, of course, does render them bad to eat in those circumstances. Meanwhile, and until I'm laid low by Hepatitis and come begging your forgiveness for my stupidity, I will continue to eat and enjoy the hell out of them.

But didn't lots of things we enjoy come from bets about how unlikely they were? Not that I can think of any, but you get my drift.

A little horseradish or vinaigrette and a cold beer - perfection. It's one of those "sensation" foods. Flavor is only one element, texture and a certain bracing, briny quality is arguably more important. I can't get into a discussion of varieties - I'll leave that to the experts. Big and weird or small and flavorful; I'll take 'em how I can get 'em and the time I scarfed down three dozen in a sitting in your most hospitable N.O. remains one of the more pleasant excursions into food nostalgia I carry with me.

So when I come to you crying about how I've been poisoned, you'll be right to point and laugh and hold me up as a cautionary example, sure and I'll deserve it. People do get sick form eating the fuckers. I'm just playing the odds. And the odds taste good!
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 03 Apr 2012, 02:56

Anybody else here a fan of head cheese? I can eat my weight in the stuff. :)

You can even deep fry it if you wanna get extra decadent. :)

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 03 Apr 2012, 03:25

Nolamike wrote:Anybody else here a fan of head cheese? I can eat my weight in the stuff. :)

My dad likes it. I have to object to the introduction of gelatin into what's otherwise an acceptably weird mish-mash of processed meat products. I'm pretty up for whatever, processed meat-wise, but the gelatin is just a bridge too far.

But seriously, what about scrapple? I have friends in PA and whenever I ask about it, they just shush me. What aren't they telling me and why don't they want me to have it?
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 03 Apr 2012, 04:06

Snarfyguy wrote:
Nolamike wrote:Anybody else here a fan of head cheese? I can eat my weight in the stuff. :)

My dad likes it. I have to object to the introduction of gelatin into what's otherwise an acceptably weird mish-mash of processed meat products. I'm pretty up for whatever, processed meat-wise, but the gelatin is just a bridge too far.

The gelatin isn't added, it's found naturally in the skull, and happens simply as a result of plonking the whole damn head in the pot.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Apr 2012, 04:58

When I was a young insurance broker, I insured a meat market in the Fillmore district of San Francisco. For those who don't know, the Fillmore, or Western Addition, is a very traditional African-American neighborhood in the heart of San Francisco stuffed in a pocket between Fell St. and Geary Blvd. John Lee Hooker started up his Boom Boom Room nightclub there.

Anyhoo, the underwriter for the insurance company called me and told me they couldn't insure the place because they sold raccoon and gator meat. I called the prospective insured and he assured me that all their meat was FDA inspected and there were actually gator and raccoon meat farms that grew the critters for eating. They had the documents to prove it too.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 03 Apr 2012, 08:54

kath wrote: the raw-oyster eating that's sposed to be so 'naturally n'awlins'~~which all other oyster-eaters elsewhere in the world imitate cuz they think new orleans things make em hip~~is really a fake....

I didn't even know New Orleans is famous for oysters. In fact, is it?? Nice use of the word "shucked" though.

Anyone else had these (also raw)?:

Percebes [pronounced pair-thay-bess]. Goose Barnacles in English, I believe. Revoltingly ugly things but delicately perfumed in flavour. Bit pricey, like.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 03 Apr 2012, 09:41

martha wrote:Seafood:
Kimchee - delicious

Although it contains anchovy, Kimchee is mainly cabbage - I would not have described it as seafood, but I would describe it as delicious!

Unless you are talking about something completely different of course.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 03 Apr 2012, 10:15

Clint Planet wrote:
Image.

They look like the feet of some mythical beast

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 03 Apr 2012, 10:54

Corporate whore wrote:
martha wrote:Seafood:
Kimchee - delicious

Although it contains anchovy, Kimchee is mainly cabbage - I would not have described it as seafood, but I would describe it as delicious!

Unless you are talking about something completely different of course.

The Kimchee that I know is spicy pickled cabbage. I love the stuff but then I'm crazy for saurkraut as well.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 03 Apr 2012, 11:05

You can even deep fry it if you wanna get extra decadent. :)

Count me in. In Holland it's called head cheese too, literally (Hoofdkaas), but in my province of birth it's also known as 'zult', and there's another word: 'preskop'.

We have quite a few varieties. My Granddad used to make it himself, that was much rougher in texture. An acquired taste for sure, but once you got 'in'... yummy!

It's also available in slices for sandwiches, great and dirt cheap. And there is a vegetarian variety (which is of course phoney by definition, were it not that due to meticulous spicing of the gelatin, tastes wonderful and is very healthy).
Last edited by Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman on 03 Apr 2012, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 03 Apr 2012, 11:29

I saw loquats on your list too, here they are called nispolas, we have 2 trees in the back and a few more down the side and at the front of the house. I'm going to be a happy bunny when they ripen!

Back to food that most might not be familiar with, one of my favs is preserved lemons. I do my own because everywhere we've lived we've had good lemon trees, they are easy peasy to do, and they give the most intense lemon flavor to everything. I love doing olives with them or chucking them in a pasta salad with a yogurt dressing. DIVINE!

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 03 Apr 2012, 12:03

Of the foods listed the only ones I haven't tried are Dog, Tripe, Pigs Ears and Goat. When I moved to Belgium we ate horse from the supermarket several times before we realised what it was ... I didn't know that Paard was the Flemish word for horse, and the horse steaks always looked leaner than the beef. It was very nice to be honest. And I say I've never eaten dog, but I've had a few kebabs over the years, so you just never know .... :? And Tripe is just one of the few things I wouldn't even consider eating. It just looks and smells like shite.

I love Oysters, Mussels and Black Pudding, but not necessarily at the same time. I've only had snails and frogs legs once, but they were a bit dull to be honest. Sushi is ok if you're in the mood, but get's a bit dull after a while too.

I've had reindeer in Norway a few times, which is very nice. I've also had Ostrich which also lovely.

I also had a pint of lager with anti-freeze in it once, but that's another story .... :?