Which of these have you eaten and enjoyed?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

I have eaten and really rather liked....

Snails
8%
Black pudding (blood sausage)
9%
Raw oysters
8%
Frogs' legs
5%
Dog
No votes
Horse
3%
Carpaccio (raw beef)
8%
Sushi
11%
Octopus
11%
Tripe
3%
Mussels
11%
Pigs' ears
2%
Rabbit
9%
Goat
8%
Other (please name)
2%

Total votes: 358

Chuck

Re: Which of these have you eaten and enjoyed?

Postby Chuck » 02 Apr 2012, 22:56

No-one mentioned kangaroo? It's nice. Quite dark and gamey, a bit venison-like.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 02 Apr 2012, 22:59

To the best of my knowledge I've never eaten dog, horse or pigs ears, but I've had all the others.

I guess I've eaten a few strange things through the years. One I remember fondly from Spain were the baby eels. They were about an inch long, just 1/8-inch in diameter and were served with a spicey oil sauce. They'd serve them in a bowl and they looked like black spaghetti.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 02 Apr 2012, 23:13

i'm kinda surprised at myself here. with the topic in general, i would've thought i had eaten and liked more freaky things than most people around here, but going by the list, i either haven't tried or actively dislike a good bit of it.

i hate raw seafood with passionate loathing. even one my most beluvved of sea crittern, the oyster, should be cooked before eating. sushi? ptoooooooey. (the beezle loved sushi and would bedevil me with it. i have a sushi magnet on my fridge that came from her as a christmas present.)

i have never had pigs ears, tripe, goat, horse, dog, black pudding. (mann, reading thru that list makes me remember that i really wanna be a vegan someday.)

wait... is tripe the same thing as chitlins? chitlins aint all that bad, but meh. my ma used to eat chitlins and hogshead cheese and sweetbreads and all that, but none of it ever appealed to me.

what else have i had? turtle, snake, deer, the occasional flukey choco-covered insect sposed to be candy (my sister gave some of those out at her wedding reception. i must admit, her lil set of gifts for the people who attended was rather... original.)

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 02 Apr 2012, 23:27

Copehead wrote:Smell of poo taste of heaven

Natto - fermented soy beans

Question authority.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 02 Apr 2012, 23:32

kath wrote:even one my most beluvved of sea crittern, the oyster, should be cooked before eating.

:o

:(
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 02 Apr 2012, 23:35

Nolamike wrote:
kath wrote:even one my most beluvved of sea crittern, the oyster, should be cooked before eating.

Is there no more concern for the safety of sea food from the oil blasted gulf?
Question authority.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 02 Apr 2012, 23:50

Nolamike wrote:

It's a damn shame.
:cry:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 03 Apr 2012, 00:53

Jimbo2 wrote:
Nolamike wrote:

Is there no more concern for the safety of sea food from the oil blasted gulf?

Nope. Even the more liberal/conspiracy-minded science folk in the region, the ones who raise all kindsa scares, are saying that Gulf seafood is good to go. Which is good for me. :)

kath

Postby kath » 03 Apr 2012, 01:24

Baron Benevolent wrote:
Nolamike wrote:
:o :(
It's a damn shame. :cry:

excusez-moi, bitches, but i am no less an oyster lover just cuz i don't like em raw. i love my oysters deep-fried, in soups, in stews, broiled, baked, barbecued, bienvilled, bedipped, brockerfellered and in bitchin configurations of my own design. i daresay i've eaten more oysters in my life than both of ye combined. and yet ye have the nerve to imply i am a lesser being, a pathetic case, simply cuz i hate the taste and texture of oysters raw???

i won't be having any of this, i can tell yew. oh no.

i might even point out that the whole raw oyster craze was a fluke, a joke, anything BUT the oysterian letter of the culinary law some make it out to be... that it all started out as a drunken bet between two rich bastards from new orleans, in the 18th century, after they spent a week shooting absinthe and dancin barefoot on slugs in the ole garden district. google it up if ya don't know it. the raw-oyster eating that's sposed to be so 'naturally n'awlins'~~which all other oyster-eaters elsewhere in the world imitate cuz they think new orleans things make em hip~~is really a fake, a manufactured ploy designed by a guy who wanted to win a bet on what he could "sell" to people as an edible craze, people being the gullible sheep they so truly are. talk about irony, knockin me for not following the flock. when you eat oysters raw, it's like buying a zulu coconut offa ebay or making a hurricane from a powdered mix only a hundred times worse, cuz some rich jerkwad invented that coconut and that hurricane in the first place just to make money offa how stoopit y'all really are. geezussss. i can only hope that yer pickin up on a valuable lesson here, one that'll allow you to see things from a proper historical perspective, cuz if ya do, you'll realize that, even though i'm making it all up for the helluvit while i'm bored spitless and waitin for my fucquin roast to finish, it could be true, and even if it isnt, y'all really need to get up offa my ass about it, or i'll track ya both down and show you the true meaning of shucked.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 03 Apr 2012, 01:38

Dang! kath is steady trippin'!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 03 Apr 2012, 01:52

sloopjohnc wrote:I'm wondering if there are any Americans on here who've eaten Rocky Mountain Oysters?
Yes and I think I mentioned it on page 1 and then Harvey made fun of me calling them cow's testicles which as a former farm girl, I was hoping no one would notice my error.

I quite liked them, to be honest they were probably the best tasting balls I've ever had in my mouth.

Because they were deep fried.

Can't do that to the balls I normally have in my mouth.
Last edited by Poppypoobah on 03 Apr 2012, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.

wilson

Postby wilson » 03 Apr 2012, 01:54

Disgusting.
Oh well, what the feck.

kath

Postby kath » 03 Apr 2012, 01:58

Baron Benevolent wrote:Dang! kath is steady trippin'!

am not.

wait. can i be steady trippin on coffee?

maybe that's steady drippin.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 03 Apr 2012, 02:11

We have restaurants here that specialize in cabrito (baby goat).

I don't have it often, but it is tasty meat.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 03 Apr 2012, 02:22

Oddly, Japanese don't eat raw oysters.
Question authority.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 03 Apr 2012, 02:37

kath wrote:i daresay i've eaten more oysters in my life than both of ye combined.

Not to relive painful memories, but lemme draw your attention to the abomination of a playoff game, Saints v. Seahawks, January 2011. I went to a house party, thrown by a buddy who apparently decided to buy P&J Oysters' entire inventory. Too nervous to keep watching the game, which was NOT going well, I ended up spending the better part of four hours shucking oysters and downing 'em. I must've had two dozen dozen all by myself. And, er, there have been other incidents like that in my time. :oops:

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 03 Apr 2012, 02:50

kath wrote:excusez-moi, bitches, but i am no less an oyster lover just cuz i don't like em raw. i love my oysters deep-fried, in soups, in stews, broiled, baked, barbecued, bienvilled, bedipped, brockerfellered and in bitchin configurations of my own design. i daresay i've eaten more oysters in my life than both of ye combined. and yet ye have the nerve to imply i am a lesser being, a pathetic case, simply cuz i hate the taste and texture of oysters raw???

i won't be having any of this, i can tell yew. oh no.

i might even point out that the whole raw oyster craze was a fluke, a joke, anything BUT the oysterian letter of the culinary law some make it out to be... that it all started out as a drunken bet between two rich bastards from new orleans, in the 18th century, after they spent a week shooting absinthe and dancin barefoot on slugs in the ole garden district. google it up if ya don't know it. the raw-oyster eating that's sposed to be so 'naturally n'awlins'~~which all other oyster-eaters elsewhere in the world imitate cuz they think new orleans things make em hip~~is really a fake, a manufactured ploy designed by a guy who wanted to win a bet on what he could "sell" to people as an edible craze, people being the gullible sheep they so truly are. talk about irony, knockin me for not following the flock. when you eat oysters raw, it's like buying a zulu coconut offa ebay or making a hurricane from a powdered mix only a hundred times worse, cuz some rich jerkwad invented that coconut and that hurricane in the first place just to make money offa how stoopit y'all really are. geezussss. i can only hope that yer pickin up on a valuable lesson here, one that'll allow you to see things from a proper historical perspective, cuz if ya do, you'll realize that, even though i'm making it all up for the helluvit while i'm bored spitless and waitin for my fucquin roast to finish, it could be true, and even if it isnt, y'all really need to get up offa my ass about it, or i'll track ya both down and show you the true meaning of shucked.

Gee, you sound like you know what you're talking about, which is a rarity around these parts.

But still, the mere fact (and I'll grant it that status 1) for the sake of argument and 2) because you're probably right) that the very idea of eating raw oysters is the result of a bet, does not, in itself, render raw oysters bad to eat. The fact that if they're not super-fresh or very well preserved, of course, does render them bad to eat in those circumstances. Meanwhile, and until I'm laid low by Hepatitis and come begging your forgiveness for my stupidity, I will continue to eat and enjoy the hell out of them.

But didn't lots of things we enjoy come from bets about how unlikely they were? Not that I can think of any, but you get my drift.

A little horseradish or vinaigrette and a cold beer - perfection. It's one of those "sensation" foods. Flavor is only one element, texture and a certain bracing, briny quality is arguably more important. I can't get into a discussion of varieties - I'll leave that to the experts. Big and weird or small and flavorful; I'll take 'em how I can get 'em and the time I scarfed down three dozen in a sitting in your most hospitable N.O. remains one of the more pleasant excursions into food nostalgia I carry with me.

So when I come to you crying about how I've been poisoned, you'll be right to point and laugh and hold me up as a cautionary example, sure and I'll deserve it. People do get sick form eating the fuckers. I'm just playing the odds. And the odds taste good!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 03 Apr 2012, 02:56

Anybody else here a fan of head cheese? I can eat my weight in the stuff. :)

You can even deep fry it if you wanna get extra decadent. :)

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 03 Apr 2012, 03:25

Nolamike wrote:Anybody else here a fan of head cheese? I can eat my weight in the stuff. :)

My dad likes it. I have to object to the introduction of gelatin into what's otherwise an acceptably weird mish-mash of processed meat products. I'm pretty up for whatever, processed meat-wise, but the gelatin is just a bridge too far.

But seriously, what about scrapple? I have friends in PA and whenever I ask about it, they just shush me. What aren't they telling me and why don't they want me to have it?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 03 Apr 2012, 04:06

Snarfyguy wrote:
Nolamike wrote:Anybody else here a fan of head cheese? I can eat my weight in the stuff. :)

My dad likes it. I have to object to the introduction of gelatin into what's otherwise an acceptably weird mish-mash of processed meat products. I'm pretty up for whatever, processed meat-wise, but the gelatin is just a bridge too far.

The gelatin isn't added, it's found naturally in the skull, and happens simply as a result of plonking the whole damn head in the pot.

Return to “Nextdoorland”