Chopsticks

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Do you use chopsticks to eat Chinese, Japanese etc?

Yes
52%
Sometimes
24%
No
24%

Total votes: 33

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Chopsticks

Postby Penk! » 19 Dec 2011, 21:31

Be honest now. Say why.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Chopsticks

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Dec 2011, 21:35

Do I fuck.

Although I'm gonna have to start practicing again cos I'm heading to japan next year.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 19 Dec 2011, 21:36

i'll sometimes use them to do the right thing or impress the chix, but every morning I wake up and bless the fork
king of the divan

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Dec 2011, 21:39

I do.

I don't know why. Just because it's the custom.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Dec 2011, 21:40

Of course not.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Dec 2011, 21:44

No. I'm clumsy, uncoordinated and too impatient to learn.

There are Chinese restaurants in the Bay Area where forks aren't available. I don't go to those very often.

At the last Chinese restaurant we went to, they had these nice kinda spring-loaded chopsticks. I stole them and plan to bring them if I have to go to one of those Chinese restaurants.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 19 Dec 2011, 21:49

Snarfyguy wrote:I do.

I don't know why. Just because it's the custom.

Me too.

There are also a number of places where you have to request silverware and I would probably use the chopsticks if they were on the table anyway.

I didn't realize it was a controversial issue!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Dec 2011, 21:50

I do. I enjoy it - mainly because it kind of forces you to eat slowly and savour and you can get full in a reasonable timescale as a result.

Having said that when in Japan I watched people eating with chopsticks and they seemed to be stuffing their bastard faces well enough.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 19 Dec 2011, 21:55

Of course. For many Chinese and Japanese dishes it's actually easier to eat with chopsticks.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 19 Dec 2011, 22:08

Yes, I do too. It's fun to do something different. Eating is not always about maximum efficiency and I think it enhances the experience slightly to change your routine. Maybe it makes me pretentious, but I don't mind being a bit pretentious now and then. It's not a crime, just as it's not a crime to dress one way for the symphony and another for a club. It's part of the experience.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Dec 2011, 22:12

Queen of the Wrapping Scene wrote:I do. I enjoy it - mainly because it kind of forces you to eat slowly and savour and you can get full in a reasonable timescale as a result.

Having said that when in Japan I watched people eating with chopsticks and they seemed to be stuffing their bastard faces well enough.

I've seen Japanese men at those noodle stalls absolutely inhaling their food. They get this rhythm going with the chopsticks that's like using a wire whisk to beat eggs with. The soup is just flying.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Witchypoo
Politically radical Nazgul

Postby Witchypoo » 19 Dec 2011, 22:14

In a restaurant then yes I do. It adds to the experience. If its a takeout I'm eating at home then usually no I'll use a fork, but if I'm in the mood then I'll use chopsticks. And TBH it's kinda fun. :oops:
Then Mick asked 'Would it make me a class traitor if I banged Thatcher?'

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Dec 2011, 22:17

Quaco wrote:Yes, I do too. It's fun to do something different. Eating is not always about maximum efficiency and I think it enhances the experience slightly to change your routine. Maybe it makes me pretentious, but I don't mind being a bit pretentious now and then. It's not a crime, just as it's not a crime to dress one way for the symphony and another for a club. It's part of the experience.

I don't think it's pretentious, like wearing a cravat, for example. I think it enhances the overall experience and is more a "when in Rome" kinda thing. I'd use 'em if I could figure out how to use the dang things so food doesn't fall in my lap.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 19 Dec 2011, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Dec 2011, 22:21

Snarfyguy wrote:
Queen of the Wrapping Scene wrote:I do. I enjoy it - mainly because it kind of forces you to eat slowly and savour and you can get full in a reasonable timescale as a result.

I've seen Japanese men at those noodle stalls absolutely inhaling their food. They get this rhythm going with the chopsticks that's like using a wire whisk to beat eggs with. The soup is just flying.

At the pen company where I worked, both my co-workers in the marcom dept. were Chinese. We went to a Dim Sum restaurant once for lunch and I was the only white guy in the place out of like 200 people. Sometime during lunch, the conversation turned to table manners and one of my co-workers answered, "What table manners?" in regards to their own folk. Both my co-workers laughed knowingly.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 19 Dec 2011, 22:55

No.

As the Italians don't use them for spaghetti and tagliatelle, I'll use what I've grown up with. Cutlery.

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 19 Dec 2011, 23:07

The Ghost of Christmas Prof wrote:As the Italians don't use them for spaghetti and tagliatelle, I'll use what I've grown up with. Cutlery.

Eh? Because Italians don't use chopsticks to eat spaghetti that means you can use a fork to eat Chinese?

Have you been at the Christmas sherry already, John?
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 19 Dec 2011, 23:11

Absolotelllllly.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 19 Dec 2011, 23:40

sloopjohnc wrote:
At the pen company where I worked, both my co-workers in the marcom dept. were Chinese. We went to a Dim Sum restaurant once for lunch and I was the only white guy in the place out of like 200 people. Sometime during lunch, the conversation turned to table manners and one of my co-workers answered, "What table manners?" in regards to their own folk. Both my co-workers laughed knowingly.

The Chinese don't really go in for the niceties of table manners. Not all Chinese are that adept at using chopsticks either judging by the amount of food they drop.

btw Dim Sum is an example of food that is much easier to eat with chipsticks.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Dec 2011, 23:46

trans-chigley express wrote:Not all Chinese are that adept at using chopsticks either judging by the amount of food they drop.

They're rubbish at it

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 19 Dec 2011, 23:59

I like using chopsticks, but they're shit for cutting a steak.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Return to “Nextdoorland”