17%
I would never consider getting any
58%

Total votes: 64

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Re: Tattooing

Postby Belle Lettre » 03 Nov 2011, 12:12

I never really wanted one enough, and now I'm too old skin-wise, I think.

They don't bother me on others,of either sex.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 03 Nov 2011, 12:20

Belle Lettre wrote:I never really wanted one enough, and now I'm too old skin-wise, I think.

They don't bother me on others,of either sex.

So you're Keith Richards, then?

On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 03 Nov 2011, 12:25

Fuck me, he looks like Gollum.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 03 Nov 2011, 12:26

SoT's portrayal of me is as accurate as ever. :shock:
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 03 Nov 2011, 12:32

Belle Lettre wrote:SoT's portrayal of me is as accurate as ever. :shock:

:D
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 03 Nov 2011, 13:07

I have one small tattoo, which I had done about 15 years ago, having hankered after one for ages.

It's like this:

I took ages to decide what I wanted, and decided that I couldn't really go wrong with having "woman" written on my upper arm- apart from anything else, it's useful information for anybody dense enough not to realise what I am from various other clues.

I had it done just before Xmas, without telling anyone, went home, showed it to my parents and asked them " are you proud of me? " to which they rolled their eyes. My brother in law, fortunately, can speak the language and confirmed that it WAS the correct symbol, and that I hadn't inadvertantly had " slack nasty tart" tattooed into my skin.

Like a lot of others here, I like smallish tattoos on other people but don't like them when they're really big or widespread. Mr T and I are considering, in due course, getting some sort of matching pair of 'em.

( of course, I do have the image of my beloved Mattie Etherington tattooed across my arse, but I don't like to boast about it or everybody else will want one too)
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

CatnHat

Postby CatnHat » 03 Nov 2011, 13:09

I've got two on my back - a flower at the top and a cute little tiger at the base. I had the tiger done when I was travelling in Australia and it was kind of my 30th birthday present to myself. I love it!!! I'd been thinking about it for ages (bf at the time had a couple), but it was only when I found the design that I went for it.
I think they are a very personal thing and it can take a while to find what you're happy with. I had the flower done a couple of years ago and have thought about another one, but can't decide what design or where to place it.

Deebank wrote:Thing with tats is that given a few years (and presumably no touching up) they go all blue and blurry (I'm reminded of Paula Yates in her final years), like horrible jail cell efforts.

And taking the long-term view, when you're an old man/woman they're going to look a bit crap.

How they age depends a lot on how you look after them and your skin in general. Sun cream is a must so that they don't fade.

I agree with GB on that the design and placing makes a difference. A really good design, for either a small or big tattoo, can make a lot of difference.
Beebsy wrote: I make up for it but being very funny, witty and having large boobs.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 03 Nov 2011, 13:33

I've got one, a celtic band on my left upper arm with my ex-wife's name in it. This causes enormous and seemingly endless amusement to my friends ;)

I'd like to get another.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

CatnHat

Postby CatnHat » 03 Nov 2011, 13:36

The Idiot wrote:I've got one, a celtic band on my left upper arm with my ex-wife's name in it. This causes enormous and seemingly endless amusement to my friends ;)

I've never considered having someone's name - I'm not optimistic enough to do it :D
Beebsy wrote: I make up for it but being very funny, witty and having large boobs.

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 03 Nov 2011, 13:37

The Idiot wrote:I've got one, a celtic band on my left upper arm with my ex-wife's name in it. This causes enormous and seemingly endless amusement to my friends ;)

And us, Nick, and us. Thanks for sharing :lol:

The Idiot wrote:I'd like to get another.

With another woman's name on? :lol:

Postby Insouciant Western People » 03 Nov 2011, 13:39

CatnHat wrote:

I've never considered having someone's name - I'm not optimistic enough to do it :D

I'm not sure 'optimistic' was the right word in my case.

'Fucking stupid' seems to fit the bill more appropriately... ;)
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 03 Nov 2011, 13:41

the hanging monkey wrote:

I might go for a bloke's name this time. Something that rhymes with my name maybe...

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 03 Nov 2011, 13:42

Polishgirl wrote:Mr T and I are considering, in due course, getting some sort of matching pair of 'em.

True, we are. Not entirely sure exactly what yet though. ..

Polishgirl wrote:( of course, I do have the image of my beloved Mattie Etherington tattooed across my arse, but I don't like to boast about it or everybody else will want one too)

Ahhhh, so that's who it is, I did wonder. I thought that as a veggie and an animal lover, you'd chosen to have an image of a shaved chimp tattoed on your butt...

Medb

Postby Medb » 03 Nov 2011, 13:45

I'd like to get another.

Ooooooh, basics. I bet you regret that move! Do subsequent girlfriends not hate it?
If You Open Your Mind Too Much, Your Brains Will Fall Out - Tim Minchin

Postby Insouciant Western People » 03 Nov 2011, 13:49

Medb wrote:Ooooooh, basics. I bet you regret that move! Do subsequent girlfriends not hate it?

It makes for an 'interesting' conversation whenever I start dating someone new.

So far it's not been a problem, but then the women I've dated recently have tended to be a bit, um... mental anyway :lol:

The last woman I dated had three tattoos, and we sat in a restaurant comparing tats and talking about our failed marriages, in between recieving texts from our respective pesky kids. It was a very 21st century kind of a date.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 03 Nov 2011, 13:51

The Idiot wrote:
the hanging monkey wrote:

I might go for a bloke's name this time. Something that rhymes with my name maybe...

Yeh - because no matter how old you get or how much you change it will always be true.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 03 Nov 2011, 13:53

Jewish law forbids them. I'm just saying.

"The origin of the traditional Jewish prohibition of tattooing is at Leviticus 19:28: “You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves; I am the Lord.” The described practices were presumably part of pagan religious practice, which the Torah vigorously opposed. The Talmudic discussion of the subject, found, for example, in the Babylonian Talmud Makkot 21a, defines the offense as involving both making some visible mark on the skin, with ink or whatever, and doing it in some way that the dye is introduced into the skin, not just on the surface."
Question authority.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 03 Nov 2011, 13:54

The Prof wrote:Yeh - because no matter how old you get or how much you change it will always be true.

I do love my Mick.

CatnHat

Postby CatnHat » 03 Nov 2011, 14:17

The Idiot wrote:
CatnHat wrote:

I'm not sure 'optimistic' was the right word in my case.

'Fucking stupid' seems to fit the bill more appropriately... ;)

Actually, maybe that was the phrase I was looking for............... :lol:

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 03 Nov 2011, 14:19

The Idiot wrote:
The Prof wrote:Yeh - because no matter how old you get or how much you change it will always be true.

I do love my Mick.

sighs

Return to “Nextdoorland”