I have none but I have considered getting one
17%
I would never consider getting any
58%

Total votes: 64

Sambient

Re: Tattooing

Postby Sambient » 03 Nov 2011, 14:23

Jimbo2 wrote:Jewish law forbids them. I'm just saying.

And yet I had the amusing encounter once in a Tower Records (obviously some years ago) of an older Jewish woman who was so excited about the fact that I was buying klezmer music wanting me to meet her-son-the-doctor, being utterly blind to the fact that I was sporting my Jesus Christ Superstar logo tat on my lovely and very visible shoulder. Bubbe was very disappointed that not only was I not Jewish, I was married.

I did do the younger reckless thing of getting a name tattooed on me. Eight days later we broke up. It was easy enough to get a black cat tat to cover it up a few months later.

I haven't done any new ink in years. Did a touch up a few years ago of my oldest ones because, yes, though I pass for younger than I am, having old looking ink was a little tell-tale. I go back and forth over whether or not there will be more ink. An enduring idea I've considered is the image from the cover of Leonard Cohen's The Future. It's plenty tattooey.

Meanwhile my partner-in-crime has had unadorned skin for his 47 years and has been seriously contemplating one as part of his delight in our pairing. I might go that route with him. Two dragons entwined.

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 03 Nov 2011, 14:30

That would be a cool tattoo so long as you left the "Leonard Cohen" bit out.

Not that I dislike him or anything, I just think it would look better without...
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 03 Nov 2011, 14:41

the hanging monkey wrote:That would be a cool tattoo so long as you left the "Leonard Cohen" bit out.

Not that I dislike him or anything, I just think it would look better without...

Oh, absolutely. That's the intention. Just the art, not the text.

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 03 Nov 2011, 14:52

I don't mind well done tats on women, I just really dislike the overused "tramp stamp" (sort of a design at the base of the back) that it seems every young women feels the need to have these days. A little originality goes a long way.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 03 Nov 2011, 16:06

I was just in a meeting with my colleague Zoe, and she's got some serious ink adorning her arms and legs. She seems to have a new one every couple of months, and I've whiled away a fair few dull meetings surreptitiously checking out her latest one out of the corner of my eye.

She's got great punky hair and she does roller derby too. She's nails, I wouldn't mess with her :lol:
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Nov 2011, 16:11

The Idiot wrote:I was just in a meeting with my colleague Zoe, and she's got some serious ink adorning her arms and legs. She seems to have a new one every couple of months, and I've whiled away a fair few dull meetings surreptitiously checking out her latest one out of the corner of my eye.

She's got great punky hair and she does roller derby too. She's nails, I wouldn't mess with her :lol:

An ex was heavily into tatts and she did roller derby as well. She was a complete cunt though.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 03 Nov 2011, 16:14

The Idiot wrote:I was just in a meeting with my colleague Zoe, and she's got some serious ink adorning her arms and legs. She seems to have a new one every couple of months, and I've whiled away a fair few dull meetings surreptitiously checking out her latest one out of the corner of my eye.

You should come to Austin if that's your scene!
:lol:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 03 Nov 2011, 16:16

Goat Boy wrote:

An ex was heavily into tatts and she did roller derby as well. She was a complete cunt though.

Roller derby's very popular with lesbians, I only found that out recently. My sister-in-law and her girlfriend went roller derby-ing on their hen party weekend, and my ex-wife went along too. She said it was great fun, but sometimes insanely violent.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 03 Nov 2011, 16:17

This town is full of tattooed people.
And roller derby chicks.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 03 Nov 2011, 16:20

Le Baron wrote:This town is full of tattooed people.
And roller derby chicks.

On my way! With the lesbian relations too!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Nov 2011, 16:22

The Idiot wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:

Roller derby's very popular with lesbians, I only found that out recently. My sister-in-law and her girlfriend went roller derby-ing on their hen party weekend, and my ex-wife went along too. She said it was great fun, but sometimes insanely violent.

She was bi and preferred women so that makes sense.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Postby Insouciant Western People » 03 Nov 2011, 16:29

Goat Boy wrote:She was bi and preferred women.

She has that in common with my ex... ;)

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 03 Nov 2011, 16:31

I never really considered one - the painful and permanent aspects always kept me away. Otherwise I'd be walking around with some Venom album cover gracing my back. That being said I don't mind them on folks though some seem to be little more than variations of the same theme. They can be quite sexy.

I do highly endorse funtoos though.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 03 Nov 2011, 16:51

hookfinger wrote:I don't mind well done tats on women, I just really dislike the overused "tramp stamp" (sort of a design at the base of the back) that it seems every young women feels the need to have these days. A little originality goes a long way.

Like - names in Chinese and Thai characters; upper arm bracelets; Celtic crosses and knots; Maori tribal patterns; butterflies; hearts; children's names; angels wings; stars; dragons; zodiac signs; swallows; snakes; and spiders webs?
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Nov 2011, 17:42

... and LOVE and HATE on the knuckles of course...
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 03 Nov 2011, 17:46

Thesiger wrote:
hookfinger wrote:I don't mind well done tats on women, I just really dislike the overused "tramp stamp" (sort of a design at the base of the back) that it seems every young women feels the need to have these days. A little originality goes a long way.

Like - names in Chinese and Thai characters; upper arm bracelets; Celtic crosses and knots; Maori tribal patterns; butterflies; hearts; children's names; angels wings; stars; dragons; zodiac signs; swallows; snakes; and spiders webs?

Yeah, that sort of originality.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

Daddy Longlegs

Postby Daddy Longlegs » 04 Nov 2011, 01:36

Never had a strong urge to until recently, now feeling I want to pretty strongly. Can't decide whether to wait for some momentous occasion or just do it. As Sambient it mentioned, it's two dragons entwined. (we're both born in the Chinese Year of the Dragon) Below is the closest thing to what I had in mind:

So glad we weren't born in the year of the Rat.
"The fool who persists in his folly shall become wise."
- William Blake

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 04 Nov 2011, 08:17

Daddy Longlegs wrote:As Sambient it mentioned, it's two dragons entwined. (we're both born in the Chinese Year of the Dragon)

Just out of interest, what do you feel is the relevance of the Chinese Year of the Dragon to anything in your life?
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 04 Nov 2011, 09:31

I think my face is my best tattoo.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 04 Nov 2011, 09:54

Le Baron wrote:This town is full of tattooed people.
And roller derby chicks.

Great beginning of a song. Proceed, my son, and you'll get rich one day.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Return to “Nextdoorland”