Religion: NO
84%

Total votes: 57

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Re: Religious Poll

Postby the hanging monkey » 22 Oct 2011, 14:16

No,it really doesn't.

What you would like has no bearing on reality.

And don't forget this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 22 Oct 2011, 14:34

the hanging monkey wrote:No,it really doesn't.

What you would like has no bearing on reality.

And don't forget this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma

Oh, I read the Eutyphro in full myself, as well as almost all other dialogues by Plato. This one (a small volume) is a joy to read, by the way. It has less of the 'guiding or leading on' that Socrates does in some other books (e.g. the one where Socrates lets a slave find Pythagoras' Theorem all by himself).

But I read it long ago. Must do so again. At any rate, thanks for the link. I will try to see what bearing it has on my criticism towards the This World Version Of The Golden Rule.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Oct 2011, 15:17

The Golden Rule is pretty useful. I wouldn't want to speak against it as an idea, as it is an extremely powerful one. But I think it is miscast as a stand-in for a societal moral code. Its biggest shortcoming in that context is that it gives each person license to judge how the other should be treated. So as long as you can create a justification for an action and tell yourself that the other person should want it because you would - you have a green light.

So go ahead and steal that old lady's money. She has plenty of it - more than she can use in her lifetime, and if she were thinking clearly she would want you to have it because you are going to use it in ways that benefit the community profoundly. When you get too old to make a logical determination that this is the best use of your money, you hope someone as noble as you will take matters into their own hands and absolve you of the burden of being unable to do so.

Narcissists love the Golden Rule. With it as their sole moral barometer, the world is their oyster.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 22 Oct 2011, 15:22

Cheer up Dave, we've all been wrong before, you know :lol:
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 22 Oct 2011, 15:34

Davey Avon FatBoy wrote:The Golden Rule is pretty useful. I wouldn't want to speak against it as an idea, as it is an extremely powerful one. But I think it is miscast as a stand-in for a societal moral code. Its biggest shortcoming in that context is that it gives each person license to judge how the other should be treated. So as long as you can create a justification for an action and tell yourself that the other person should want it because you would - you have a green light.

So go ahead and steal that old lady's money. She has plenty of it - more than she can use in her lifetime, and if she were thinking clearly she would want you to have it because you are going to use it in ways that benefit the community profoundly. When you get too old to make a logical determination that this is the best use of your money, you hope someone as noble as you will take matters into their own hands and absolve you of the burden of being unable to do so.

Narcissists love the Golden Rule. With it as their sole moral barometer, the world is their oyster.

Excellent call, mr Davey Sir.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 22 Oct 2011, 15:34

the hanging monkey wrote:Cheer up Dave, we've all been wrong before, you know :lol:

:D very funny, my esteemed opponent!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 Oct 2011, 19:58

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Oct 2011, 20:05

Clint Planet wrote:
Davey Avon FatBoy wrote: Narcissists love the Golden Rule. With it as their sole moral barometer, the world is their oyster.

How do you know it is their sole moral barometer?

I am not saying it is. Googa asserted that the Golden Rule alone was not enough. Monkey asked why. I answered.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Return to “Nextdoorland”