MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31921
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Jan 2021, 20:36

Six String wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:
Six String wrote::o


It’s settling and everything! I sent a video to Rebecca


I’ll get to see it tomorrow. Have fun! Don’t drive. Texans don’t know how to drive in the stuff.


We're going nowhere. We've lit a fire and are sat by the window, reading and watching cardinals!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2560
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Rorschach » 10 Jan 2021, 20:46

Minnie the Minx wrote:What have you got against snow??


It’s cold.

And then it turns into slush.
Bugger off.

Positive Passion
Posts: 1479
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Positive Passion » 10 Jan 2021, 20:47

Rorschach wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:It’s snowing in Austin!


It seems to be snowing everywhere in Spain except for Barcelona. I, for one, am glad.


Two crap jokes, can't choose between them....
1- I didn't know Austin was in Spain.
2- Ah, Austín!

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2560
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Rorschach » 10 Jan 2021, 21:46

Positive Passion wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:It’s snowing in Austin!


It seems to be snowing everywhere in Spain except for Barcelona. I, for one, am glad.


Two crap jokes, can't choose between them....
1- I didn't know Austin was in Spain.
2- Ah, Austín!


I don’t get the second one. Is it an Austin Powers reference? I’ve never seen any of the films for some reason.
Bugger off.

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25600
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby souphound » 10 Jan 2021, 21:53

Six String wrote:Don’t drive. Texans don’t know how to drive in the stuff.


I don't doubt that to be absolutely true. Up here in Montreal, we live with the stuff for about 4 months a year (that's lower than it used to be for sure). We have rules/laws that force car owners to equip their vehicles with Winter tires from December to early Spring sometime (I don't have a car, so, not sure the exact dates). Still, the first snow or two, there are tons and tons of accidents, most being fender benders, but some fairly massive. We're pros at snow removal but still, it takes a while before people get back in "snow mode".
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 42208
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Jan 2021, 22:24

souphound wrote:Up here in Montreal, we live with the stuff for about 4 months a year (that's lower than it used to be for sure). We have rules/laws that force car owners to equip their vehicles with Winter tires from December to early Spring sometime (I don't have a car, so, not sure the exact dates).

As one who knows approximately doodley-squat about cars, I've occasionally wondered: is there some reason why having "snow tires" on your car year-'round would be a bad thing?
Image

Six String
Posts: 21402
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 10 Jan 2021, 22:34

souphound wrote:
Six String wrote:Don’t drive. Texans don’t know how to drive in the stuff.


I don't doubt that to be absolutely true. Up here in Montreal, we live with the stuff for about 4 months a year (that's lower than it used to be for sure). We have rules/laws that force car owners to equip their vehicles with Winter tires from December to early Spring sometime (I don't have a car, so, not sure the exact dates). Still, the first snow or two, there are tons and tons of accidents, most being fender benders, but some fairly massive. We're pros at snow removal but still, it takes a while before people get back in "snow mode".


Not only the driving but the equipment to remove snow from the roads. Cities don’t budget for rare events. It paralyzes towns that rarely see snow. For children it is an automatic day off from school (before remote learning obvs.)
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

Six String
Posts: 21402
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 10 Jan 2021, 22:36

Charlie O. wrote:
souphound wrote:Up here in Montreal, we live with the stuff for about 4 months a year (that's lower than it used to be for sure). We have rules/laws that force car owners to equip their vehicles with Winter tires from December to early Spring sometime (I don't have a car, so, not sure the exact dates).

As one who knows approximately doodley-squat about cars, I've occasionally wondered: is there some reason why having "snow tires" on your car year-'round would be a bad thing?


I think they are less efficient on dry roads, i.e mpg.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44358
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Dr. Baron » 10 Jan 2021, 22:55

Six String wrote:
souphound wrote:
Six String wrote:Don’t drive. Texans don’t know how to drive in the stuff.


I don't doubt that to be absolutely true. Up here in Montreal, we live with the stuff for about 4 months a year (that's lower than it used to be for sure). We have rules/laws that force car owners to equip their vehicles with Winter tires from December to early Spring sometime (I don't have a car, so, not sure the exact dates). Still, the first snow or two, there are tons and tons of accidents, most being fender benders, but some fairly massive. We're pros at snow removal but still, it takes a while before people get back in "snow mode".


Not only the driving but the equipment to remove snow from the roads. Cities don’t budget for rare events. It paralyzes towns that rarely see snow. For children it is an automatic day off from school (before remote learning obvs.)


Exactly. We get measurable snow about every ten or fifteen years in this part of Texas. People make fun of how everything shuts down when snow or ice happens, but it makes absolutely no sense to maintain capacity to clear the roads at a moment’s notice when it’s such a rare event.

Today’s snow was really nice, it snowed steadily all afternoon. It’ll be gone by mid morning tomorrow.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 42208
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Jan 2021, 22:57

Six String wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:
souphound wrote:Up here in Montreal, we live with the stuff for about 4 months a year (that's lower than it used to be for sure). We have rules/laws that force car owners to equip their vehicles with Winter tires from December to early Spring sometime (I don't have a car, so, not sure the exact dates).

As one who knows approximately doodley-squat about cars, I've occasionally wondered: is there some reason why having "snow tires" on your car year-'round would be a bad thing?


I think they are less efficient on dry roads, i.e mpg.

I sensed it might be something like that. Thanks!
Image

Six String
Posts: 21402
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 11 Jan 2021, 01:34

Dr. Baron wrote:
Six String wrote:
souphound wrote:
I don't doubt that to be absolutely true. Up here in Montreal, we live with the stuff for about 4 months a year (that's lower than it used to be for sure). We have rules/laws that force car owners to equip their vehicles with Winter tires from December to early Spring sometime (I don't have a car, so, not sure the exact dates). Still, the first snow or two, there are tons and tons of accidents, most being fender benders, but some fairly massive. We're pros at snow removal but still, it takes a while before people get back in "snow mode".


Not only the driving but the equipment to remove snow from the roads. Cities don’t budget for rare events. It paralyzes towns that rarely see snow. For children it is an automatic day off from school (before remote learning obvs.)


Exactly. We get measurable snow about every ten or fifteen years in this part of Texas. People make fun of how everything shuts down when snow or ice happens, but it makes absolutely no sense to maintain capacity to clear the roads at a moment’s notice when it’s such a rare event.

Today’s snow was really nice, it snowed steadily all afternoon. It’ll be gone by mid morning tomorrow.


The best kind of snow. Here today, gone tomorrow!
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25600
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby souphound » 11 Jan 2021, 02:12

Charlie O. wrote:
Six String wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:As one who knows approximately doodley-squat about cars, I've occasionally wondered: is there some reason why having "snow tires" on your car year-'round would be a bad thing?


I think they are less efficient on dry roads, i.e mpg.

I sensed it might be something like that. Thanks!


They also wear out much faster on warm roads, turning to mush in no time (figuratively speaking). I believe they actually become detrimental to proper road handling and hence, dangerous to a point, but I'm just talking through my hat now.

And I totally understand and agree with the lack of equipment for snow clearing where snow is only but rare. What a waste that would be. Here, it's a huge deal and industry of course, but that's necessary, believe me.

We REALLY enjoy our summers around here. :D
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44358
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Dr. Baron » 11 Jan 2021, 03:06

Six String wrote:The best kind of snow. Here today, gone tomorrow!


I love the cold and snow. Bring it!

But I recognize the pain of people who live near the Great Lakes. That snow is no joke.

Alas, it turned to rain in the end. The roads will be very mushy tonight and it'll all be gone without a trace by 10am tomorrow.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Positive Passion
Posts: 1479
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Positive Passion » 11 Jan 2021, 06:44

Rorschach wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
It seems to be snowing everywhere in Spain except for Barcelona. I, for one, am glad.


Two crap jokes, can't choose between them....
1- I didn't know Austin was in Spain.
2- Ah, Austín!


I don’t get the second one. Is it an Austin Powers reference? I’ve never seen any of the films for some reason.


I put an accent on the i, como en Espanol, but it doesn't show up well and I expect it is the wrong way round. Anyway....

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2560
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Rorschach » 11 Jan 2021, 07:27

Positive Passion wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:

Two crap jokes, can't choose between them....
1- I didn't know Austin was in Spain.
2- Ah, Austín!


I don’t get the second one. Is it an Austin Powers reference? I’ve never seen any of the films for some reason.


I put an accent on the i, como en Espanol, but it doesn't show up well and I expect it is the wrong way round. Anyway....


Doh! No. You were right. The accent is pointing in the right direction and on the correct letter. I was just being dozy.

In fact, surely the joke works best if you use both lines.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31921
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Jan 2021, 18:04

We were unpacking a crate in the house last night and the floor was covered with packing materials. I put a pair of crocs on so that I wouldn't step on anything sharp, then stepped on something sharp anyway - an enormous nail that went through the croc effortlessly and into my foot. It was a real Laurel and Hardy injury, secondary only to standing on a rake and having it bop you on the nose. I'm pretty grateful I had them on, even though they capitulated to the nail so readily. It did make me think of the relative ease with which people were able to be crucified. I always thought feet would be a crucifier's least favourite task but it appears to be piss easy.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 42208
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Jan 2021, 18:32

^ I was on a Turkish beach (ca. 1974) and running to catch a football my brother had thrown when I ran onto a rusty nail (protruding from a piece of wood). Had to get tetanus shots. Good times!
Image

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21435
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Jimbly » 15 Jan 2021, 17:43

Made soup, half into the freezer. The rest heating gently for teatime.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31921
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jan 2021, 18:19

I just googled the number that keeps calling my mobile to see which spam generator it might be and the text generated by putting that number in says:

“Raise two children! Which paddle boat you have inventory? Red full body massage! Dying party would consider leaving?”

I might answer next time - sounds like they have a lot of stuff to get off their chest.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String
Posts: 21402
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » Yesterday, 20:54

Big pot of Texas style chilli on the stove. I used a coarse ground chuck and some 1/4 inch chopped sirloin to keep it robust plus four different peppers and multiple ground chilli peppers for an accent. I’ll probably have a little tonight to test for safety and then let it rest overnight to bring it all together. We’ll enjoy an all-American dish while celebrating the changing of the guard. So long Tumor! :D
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.