MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Dec 2020, 16:59

souphound wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:I bought some shoelaces yesterday and the cashier said “enjoy!” as he handed me the receipt.

So, planning on tying one on then, huh?

I did! The whole thing was considerably less thrilling than his tone suggested though.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Dec 2020, 18:36

:lol:
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Dec 2020, 01:03

Breadsticks, aren’t they the best thing to snack on with a beer or glass of wine before dinner?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Dec 2020, 01:19

Six String wrote:Breadsticks, aren’t they the best thing to snack on with a beer or glass of wine before dinner?

Yes!
I still have that picture of your Mum in SF outside Perry's smoking one like a cigar :D

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Dec 2020, 17:04

I forgot about that. Good times.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Dec 2020, 20:56

It’s a stunning, sunny Austin winter day and I’ve taken the afternoon off to sit in a very socially distanced bar, get drunk and read a book. Top day!

Until tomorrow of course.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Dec 2020, 22:52

Man. I LOVE day drinking

Dr Markus wrote:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 09 Dec 2020, 04:00

Minnie the Minx wrote:It’s a stunning, sunny Austin winter day and I’ve taken the afternoon off to sit in a very socially distanced bar, get drunk and read a book. Top day!

It's 5 below O Celsius here and all the bars have been off limit for months now. How I envy that feeling. I wouldn't even need a book. Just any old mag would do.

:( :D
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 09 Dec 2020, 04:15

Minnie the Minx wrote:Man. I LOVE day drinking

Rebecca is on your team!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 09 Dec 2020, 12:40

Minnie the Minx wrote:I bought some shoelaces yesterday and the cashier said “enjoy!” as he handed me the receipt.

You might enjoy The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker, the greatest novel about buying a pair of shoelaces ever written:

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Dec 2020, 15:05

souphound wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:It’s a stunning, sunny Austin winter day and I’ve taken the afternoon off to sit in a very socially distanced bar, get drunk and read a book. Top day!

It's 5 below O Celsius here and all the bars have been off limit for months now. How I envy that feeling. I wouldn't even need a book. Just any old mag would do.

Well, in fairness I made my afternoon sound a lot more "pre-pandemic" fun than it actually was. When I say bar, I meant a friend's restaurant that sells alcohol and where you can completely socially distance on the patio outside. She has gone far and above what Texas says she "should" do and even though she could, she won't open the inside of her restaurant until the world is in a safe place because she cares about her staff and customers. She has also spaced out her outside space to way more than she is "technically" required to, and put partitions up between tables. Because Austin can be so beautiful during the winter, it's actually a great place to go and hang and she will almost never need heaters. She's losing so much money at the moment, and all her life savings are going into keeping it afloat but she is struggling precisely because she is trying to do things in a way that her conscience lets her. When I waved goodbye to her yesterday, she was bent over her laptop doing accounts looking completely deflated. What can you do, except....go to their places on their quiet days, drink a lot so they get a good profit on the wine, and leave big tips and great reviews. And I'm happy to keep on doing just that.

Dr Markus wrote:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 10 Dec 2020, 03:28

Minnie the Minx wrote:
souphound wrote:

Well, in fairness I made my afternoon sound a lot more "pre-pandemic" fun than it actually was. When I say bar, I meant a friend's restaurant that sells alcohol and where you can completely socially distance on the patio outside. She has gone far and above what Texas says she "should" do and even though she could, she won't open the inside of her restaurant until the world is in a safe place because she cares about her staff and customers. She has also spaced out her outside space to way more than she is "technically" required to, and put partitions up between tables. Because Austin can be so beautiful during the winter, it's actually a great place to go and hang and she will almost never need heaters. She's losing so much money at the moment, and all her life savings are going into keeping it afloat but she is struggling precisely because she is trying to do things in a way that her conscience lets her. When I waved goodbye to her yesterday, she was bent over her laptop doing accounts looking completely deflated. What can you do, except....go to their places on their quiet days, drink a lot so they get a good profit on the wine, and leave big tips and great reviews. And I'm happy to keep on doing just that.

Sad but perfect.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Dec 2020, 23:32

I'm getting increasingly angsty about the amount of people experiencing homelessness around our neighbourhood who take their dogs with them when they go out asking for money. I'm aware that my PRIVILEGE allows me to twiddle my thumbs about this conundrum, but it makes me feel ill. Invariably, the dogs will be on the median on very busy roads walking up and down. Five seconds of clumsiness or a dog being startled and they are dead. Many a time they have no blanket and I sit at the light and any feelings I might have to help a person evaporate the minute that I see that they are in charge of an animal, and that animal is uncomfortable.

I know from shelter work that dogs are used to elicit a better response and I also know that some dogs are taken from their owners or shared around. I also know that some of these dogs are wonderful companions to the people who love them and some are taken great care of. But dogs being paraded up and down busy streets where they have the capacity to bolt into traffic is something I can't abide and I sit at the lights wondering when I turned into Norman Tebbit but that feeling isn't going away and if anything it's getting worse.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Dec 2020, 04:55

I donate money to a local charity run by an old Catholic nun. They provide food, hygiene, social services, a school for the homeless children (Rebecca taught there for a while) and other services for the homeless and this is how I can get through what I see. It’s horrible and it’s hard to sort out things without a lot of investigation so giving to Loaves And Fishes is frankly easier. They do the sorting and I’m confident they use their money where it’s needed.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Dec 2020, 15:06

We were writing Xmas cards last night and to some of our favourite cousins I said that the next time we saw them I would ‘hug them till their eyes popped out.’ Unfortunately, my poor handwriting makes the ‘hug’ looks awfully similar to ‘hang’ which seems a bit off message.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Dec 2020, 18:30

We had our hot cocoa bomb this morning. It was fun and delicious.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 16 Dec 2020, 04:19

Having an all-nighter with my daughter to give her moral support as she finishes her thesis. I feel old and achy.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Dec 2020, 04:26

She owes you a Horlicks!

Dr Markus wrote:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 16 Dec 2020, 04:31

With whisky in it
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 16 Dec 2020, 17:19

A half-drugged selfie I posted from my hospital bed after knee surgery last night became my most successful Facebook post ever.

It made me happy.

... and I'm walking (somewhat slowly) already!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge