MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Nov 2020, 14:15

We had a banana spider living on the outside of our back door for a few weeks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichonephila_clavipes

I don't particularly like seeing spiders in "surprise" situations but I'm not frightened of them anymore and these are fabulous. Their webs are like zips of thick, white silk and they are amazing to look at. On the wildlife trail where I walk, they make their homes between the trees and it's pretty common to find them glistening at sunrise and looking pretty ethereal.

Our spider buggered off a couple of weeks ago, but this week I spotted a big egg in a tiny corner in the sidings. This means that in Spring, it'll burst open and we'll have lots of tiny banana spiders running around saying "Momma! Momma!"
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Nov 2020, 16:26

We’ve had garden spiders between our citrus trees from time to time. They can get pretty big and their webs are large and beautiful too. I’m not sure I’ve seen a banana spider before. Will google and check them out.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Nov 2020, 22:58

We had Mike's mum in the house for the first time since March, thanks to a two week quarantine by us all first. It was ace. We sat outside with Baron's brother on the non-quarantined child's table, and feasted on Baron's chestnut and cabbage delight! I only broke one tray of roast potatoes but luckily had another spare. I also burned the bottom of my baps, HO HO HO that'll teach me not to rest them on the oven floor HA HA HA

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Nov 2020, 18:08

Rebecca and I had our sort of kind of Thanksgiving meal last night and I made a new side dish I got from the NYT or maybe it was WAPO for brussel sprouts and gnocchi made with lemon zest, chilli flakes, butter, a tiny bit of honey (1/2 t) and grated parmesan. It turned out fantastic, a definite keeper. We drank a 2002 Premier Cru red Burgundy that was amazing and afterwards I noticed I still have two bottles left for another time. The wine is right where I like it in maturity so happy that I can relive the experience.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Nov 2020, 18:20

Those sprouts sound fabulous. We had ordered all our sides from a local place and only cooked the nut roast and potatoes ourselves. The sprouts we had were easily some of the best I’ve ever tasted. They also made a cracking bubble and squeak yesterday!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Nov 2020, 04:15

I’m sipping a glass of my plum/vodka infusion I made this year and I’m very pleased. Just drinking it plain on the rocks and that is all it really needs but I want to figure out a mix or other alcohol that will take it to the next level. Will require more thought and experience. Heh.

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Nov 2020, 14:39

Six String wrote:I’m sipping a glass of my plum/vodka infusion I made this year and I’m very pleased. Just drinking it plain on the rocks and that is all it really needs but I want to figure out a mix or other alcohol that will take it to the next level. Will require more thought and experience. Heh.

That sounds nice Les

Very nice

scrote wrote:carlsson beat me

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Nov 2020, 17:15

C wrote:
Six String wrote:I’m sipping a glass of my plum/vodka infusion I made this year and I’m very pleased. Just drinking it plain on the rocks and that is all it really needs but I want to figure out a mix or other alcohol that will take it to the next level. Will require more thought and experience. Heh.

That sounds nice Les

Very nice

The plum juice that was extracted reduces the total alcohol so it os probably 25-30% abv. tops. It’s really smooth. I didn’t press the plums, they just sat in the jar and mingled.
In fact I skinned the plums and removed the pits and I’ve now saved the flesh to put on ice cream. With a little granola on top of that it is absolutely delicious.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Nov 2020, 20:38

Careful with your plums!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Nov 2020, 21:52

I’m plum crazy!

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 01 Dec 2020, 17:06

City council elections in the Swiss capital this weekend:

Bern's new parliament is 70% female!! 8-)
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Dec 2020, 01:47

Rebecca is making spanakopita tonight, her first time but she’s so good with pastry I have confidence that it will be good. Wine choices were Sauvignon Blanc or Beaujolais so we’re having a little of both to compare after working a bit on both bottles while playing cribbage.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Dec 2020, 23:21

Six String wrote:Rebecca is making spanakopita tonight, her first time but she’s so good with pastry I have confidence that it will be good. Wine choices were Sauvignon Blanc or Beaujolais so we’re having a little of both to compare after working a bit on both bottles while playing cribbage.

Fucking delicious.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Dec 2020, 23:23

We just went and bought our Xmas tree. For some reason, our garden Center had given them all names. Ours is ‘Duke’!
I’ve named him ‘Fir Duke’ and I’m feeling pretty happy with myself as a result.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Dec 2020, 00:34

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Six String wrote:Rebecca is making spanakopita tonight, her first time but she’s so good with pastry I have confidence that it will be good. Wine choices were Sauvignon Blanc or Beaujolais so we’re having a little of both to compare after working a bit on both bottles while playing cribbage.

Fucking delicious.

The white beat out the red but both were good with the dish. Rebecca has little experience with phyllo so she claimed as it came out of the oven that she probably wouldn’t do it again but then after having a few bites decided she was a bit hasty on that decission. :) If I had tried it it probably would have been an absolute disaster so props for her for doing a good job. R is the baker in the family not me. I’ve never gone beyond simple cookies and don’t see that changing.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 04 Dec 2020, 01:03

Minnie the Minx wrote:We just went and bought our Xmas tree. For some reason, our garden Center had given them all names. Ours is ‘Duke’!

Well done! I'm singing the horn line in my head now. "Dah dah dah DAH - dahdidah dahdidah dahdidah dah - dahdidah dahdidah dahdidah DAH-dah!" :D
Jimbo wrote:I need you to back up this claim.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Dec 2020, 01:11

toomanyhatz wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:We just went and bought our Xmas tree. For some reason, our garden Center had given them all names. Ours is ‘Duke’!

Well done! I'm singing the horn line in my head now. "Dah dah dah DAH - dahdidah dahdidah dahdidah dah - dahdidah dahdidah dahdidah DAH-dah!" :D

I sang the same, all the way back in the car!
I expect that episode will appear in Baron’s divorce petition.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Dec 2020, 13:56

Tapiocahead nudged us in the direction of this splendid calendar:

https://clocktowerstudios.co.uk/shop/ol ... 1-calendar

Scenes from Bradford and the surrounding district including the extraordinary old brutalist Yorkshire Bank and a much loved coffee shop. Excellent stuff!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Dec 2020, 15:23

I bought some shoelaces yesterday and the cashier said “enjoy!” as he handed me the receipt.

Dr Markus wrote:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 07 Dec 2020, 16:30

Minnie the Minx wrote:I bought some shoelaces yesterday and the cashier said “enjoy!” as he handed me the receipt.

So, planning on tying one on then, huh?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.