MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbly

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Jimbly » 23 Sep 2020, 07:47

Six String wrote:
Jimbly wrote:Two pictures I took of Talking Heads at the Edinburgh Odeon are included in a book about gigs in Scotland. I was given a credit as well.

Congrats! Which tour?

Fear of Music. The pictures aren't brilliant but the book is full of audience photos. One of my school mates is heavily credited as he saw all the early punk gigs in a small hotel in Paisley as punk gigs were banned in Glasgow. He has kept all his ticket stubs from then, gigs by Elvis Costello, The Rezillos and many more.
Last edited by Jimbly on 23 Sep 2020, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 23 Sep 2020, 08:19

Nice one, Jim. What’s the book?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 23 Sep 2020, 08:25

Hugh wrote:Nice one, Jim. What’s the book?

16 Years: Gigs in Scotland 1974 -1990.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 23 Sep 2020, 14:11

Jimbly wrote:Two pictures I took of Talking Heads at the Edinburgh Odeon are included in a book about gigs in Scotland. I was given a credit as well.

Cool!
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Sep 2020, 15:01

I didn’t know you dabbled with the old click click Jeemo? I just thought you took great holiday pics!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Sep 2020, 15:04

Six String wrote:I have to admit it felt good getting my haircut after five or six months. It helped that she did great job or I might have eschewed haircuts the rest of my life. We’ve had two so far and due again in two more weeks. So lets see this new cut Minnie. Don’t be shy!

It’s not really a ‘new’ cut, it looks just like it did last time you were at our house! Sort of Diana Mitford on remand.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 23 Sep 2020, 15:20

Minnie the Minx wrote:

I didn’t know you dabbled with the old click click Jeemo? I just thought you took great holiday pics!

just strictly amateur stuff.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Sep 2020, 20:17

My nephew turns 16 tomorrow. It seems about ten minutes ago that he wanted Lego, now he wants a copy of Merleau-Ponty’s ‘Phenomenology of Perception.’ We Skyped yesterday and from time to time he flopped his long fringe backwards and said things like ‘yeah, right, cool.’

Living so far from the young and the old members of your family means you miss all the subtle growth, they just seem to lurch from one very notable stage to the next and you miss it, boomph.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Sep 2020, 21:23

Our close friends who live nearby have an absolute wildlife park out back, with raccoons, deer, skunk, ringtails, owls, foxes, possums, you name it. They are obsessed with the raccoons and let them hang out on the deck with them, get up in their laps and what have you. Sometimes they will chance upon something really amazing like a totally preserved dead butterfly, dragonfly, or an amazing skeleton. The other week they sadly saw a hummingbird kill itself instantly trying to get in the window. They brought it in and tried to revive it but couldn't, and they had a bit of a cry and decided they would put it somewhere lovely in the "nature remembrance" cabinet.

My friend was telling me that the next day, they heard a commotion and went to investigate and one of their raccoons, having snuck in through the dogflap, was on its hind legs chewing the hummingbird enthusiastically. The joy of nature!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 01 Oct 2020, 04:52

A out ten years ago I found a dead hummingbird on the deck outside the “sliding glass door” so I wondered if he died from flying into the glass too. It was kind of cool to hold that tiny little body and be able to observe him in detail without causing harm. I buried him under the redwoods in the backyard which is where he probably lived.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Oct 2020, 05:34

Minnie the Minx wrote:They brought it in and tried to revive it but couldn't, and they had a bit of a cry and decided they would put it somewhere lovely in the "nature remembrance" cabinet.

The what?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Oct 2020, 12:05

Oh, whatever it’s called!
A display cabinet for holding nature type things.

Dr Markus wrote:

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 01 Oct 2020, 15:13

Once in a while a bird will fly into our large 2nd storey picture window, and it's always sad when they do, especially if they don't survive. I keep meaning to put some sort of deterrent pattern on the window but still haven't got around to it. The sad but cool thing is that the birds that tend to hit are songbirds in the midst of migration, and are birds that I don't normally see in our area, so I do at least get a chance to observe something I don't normally get to see, even if the circumstances aren't ideal. Early this year a Red-Eyed Vireo hit the window and died in my hand, and while I was quite sad, I was also quite fascinated...

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Oct 2020, 15:25

Oh what a pretty birdie! :(
At my office, a lot of birds fly into the windows. I have an allocated box and I go and fetch them if they’re stunned and keep them somewhere quiet and cool for a while. If they don’t seem improved in a couple of hours I take them to the wildlife centre where they nurse them back to health. The problem with hummingbirds is they need help pretty quick as they’re so bloody high maintenance. I take em to the wildlife place going ‘nee naw nee naw’ and a blue light on the car!

(Sort of)

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Oct 2020, 15:18

Yesterday I rescued a spider from one of the cat litter boxes which ran back to the litterbox and jumped back in.
Good luck, fella!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Oct 2020, 17:09

This week I was sent some information about my Estonian grandfather's final months, spent at the Taagepera Sanatoorium. It looks amazing - I've been trying to see pictures of him lying in a row with all the other patients, but can't see him.

https://www.google.com/search?q=taagepe ... 40&bih=878

It's a hotel now I believe, and I do want to see it, though it also feels dreadfully sad- he went there as a young man and died there months later, in search of a "cure" that wasn't going to happen, and he might as well have stayed where he was, with my mother and grandmother.

Edited to add:

There’s a video of the place as it is now- which looks terrifying! Imagine the tune they are playing is not a lilting piano tune but some brooding chamber music and the cries of the ill. Doesn’t look so appealing then! (I’ll definitely go though)

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Oct 2020, 23:06

My friend's restaurant opened for sit down seating for the first time since April today. She has decked out the patio to social distance. She didn't want to open it as she was worried about her staff, but they actually wanted to do it. It's set up as best as it can be. If she didn't, the restaurant wouldn't have survived much longer. I went down today to get take out, and the staff were crying they were so happy. I teared up a bit myself!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Oct 2020, 13:29

It’s daybreak and we are in a very, very long line to vote.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Oct 2020, 14:16

Done.

Dr Markus wrote:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 14 Oct 2020, 15:34

Nice one!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.