Postby Jimbly » 05 Sep 2020, 09:22

thanks
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Sep 2020, 14:09

Congrats! :D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 05 Sep 2020, 14:53

cheers. just back from two days at a posh hotel down the coast.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Sep 2020, 15:06

Funny you should mention- we just watched the Anniversary episode of Fawlty Towers this morning!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Sep 2020, 18:58

I've had two completely bizarre but great finds within a fortnight. First, I found a copy of my grandfather's medical records online, which have detailed records of his death- literally, up until the moments that he dies. They are housed in a museum but are in German and Russian so the museum team have sent off to get them translated for me. I've been really excited about getting these translations back, though I know that sounds ghoulish.

I've mentioned on here before that I have been trying to find audio or video of my mother and have been getting really frustrated that absolutely nobody at any point had a recording of her. We did do some "recording" in one of those booths when I was little but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. After ten years of looking I was thinking of giving up hope. Then at the weekend, I was clearing out the spare room and came upon some old AGFA reel to reels from when I was doing radiojournalism in the 1980s. It's years since I looked at the titles but as I looked through them, one of them said "interview with my mother." I sat looking at it for ages, as I have no recollection whatsoever of doing that interview but nor do I remember the other things that are written on the tapes (poll tax marches etc.)

Today I dropped them off at the digitizing place. The guy said there is indeed something on these tapes. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, as even though they have been stored pretty well they are thirty years old and may have really degraded. My heart was racing as I dropped them off. Despite having a fractious relationship with my mother, the thought of hearing her voice again after nearly 25 years is almost too extraordinary. I'll know in a week.

Dr Markus wrote:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Sep 2020, 20:26

That's exciting, Anna! Fingers crossed...

Six String

Postby Six String » 09 Sep 2020, 23:56

That’s really cool. I hope the tape plays well enough to get it transfered. Magnetic tape can last a long time depending on storage conditions so I hope it works.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Sep 2020, 13:58

Yeah, it’s been in boxes and not dicked about with at all. Fingers crossed. It’s all I can think about!

Dr Markus wrote:

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 10 Sep 2020, 18:24

In these C19 days of business doom, we've had a new wet fish shop open up a month ago between the pharmacy and the hairdressers. They're doing cracking trade. The owner's a former Billingsgate blocksman. Beautiful range of fish, crab, shellfish all laid out on ice.
I had a small mackerel (cooked with a braeburn apple) for a late lunch and it was gorgeous.
Only sea fish, mind - I'd had a hankering for a rainbow trout.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

jimboo wrote:At the age of 57 I had my first pickled egg.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 14 Sep 2020, 17:14

There's a bloke running around outside with his shirt off shouting " I WANT COCAINE !! ".

Brits don't do well in hot weather.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

jimboo wrote:At the age of 57 I had my first pickled egg.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 14 Sep 2020, 19:55

Samoan wrote:There's a bloke running around outside with his shirt off shouting " I WANT COCAINE !! ".

Brits don't do well in hot weather.

I recently heard a euphemism for doing cocaine that made me wish I still touched the stuff, but which probably only works in, uh, snowier, climes..."it's time to shovel the driveway!"
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 14 Sep 2020, 22:53

House move just got real. Out by middle of next week, rent for a month while we sort out our new place. So, thank God my gout has returned for the second time in three weeks.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 14 Sep 2020, 23:01

Jimbly wrote:House move just got real. Out by middle of next week, rent for a month while we sort out our new place. So, thank God my gout has returned for the second time in three weeks.

oh lorddd. best of luck with all of it.

it took me months... months... to pack up my house of twenty years, really only with my son's help, and move it all down to new orleans. i had five cats in carriers in the back of my car when the a/c conked out in meridian, mississippi. it was, shall we say, rough.

but i didn't hafta do it all with gout.

::smack::

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 14 Sep 2020, 23:12

kath wrote:
Jimbly wrote:House move just got real. Out by middle of next week, rent for a month while we sort out our new place. So, thank God my gout has returned for the second time in three weeks.

it took me months... months... to pack up my house of twenty years, really only with my son's help, and move it all down to new orleans. i had five cats in carriers in the back of my car when the a/c conked out in meridian, mississippi. it was, shall we say, rough.

thanks Kath

half the house is already in storage, I've not seen my cds or blurays since February, hopefully we'll manage. The meds working very quickly, so fingers crossed.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 14 Sep 2020, 23:23

Jimbly wrote:
kath wrote:

thanks Kath

half the house is already in storage, I've not seen my cds or blurays since February, hopefully we'll manage. The meds working very quickly, so fingers crossed.

everythingg i own is in storage, except for some clothes. there is no room here. (storage: my sweet bro-in-law sam knew i couldn't afford actual storage. he's a carpenter. so in our carport here, he built me a storage shed, big, complete with insulation, lights, front door, locks, etc.) we're talkin ten thousand cds, a thousand books, allll of my and reap's stuff.

what is not in storage? all the beezle art, of course, and a few very important to me sentimental gifts. oh, and the gweetars.

we all gotta do what we must.

fingers duly crossed.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 14 Sep 2020, 23:30

thanks smack

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Sep 2020, 00:26

Good luck Jeemo - what’s prompted the move?

Dr Markus wrote:

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 15 Sep 2020, 06:54

Minnie the Minx wrote:Good luck Jeemo - what’s prompted the move?

As we stopped Fostering the house is now too big. Just the two of us in a four bedroom house.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Sep 2020, 01:11

Jimbly wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Good luck Jeemo - what’s prompted the move?

As we stopped Fostering the house is now too big. Just the two of us in a four bedroom house.

Gotcha. I don't even have a clue what the housing market is doing now in the UK, except my house is worth exactly what I paid for it in the mid 2000s :roll:

My parents are currently trying to sell their lovely old house in a very green part of Yorkshire up on the moors. The decision has been somewhat forced upon them but they are totally out of touch with the selling process. They have tidied, but the house looks like it was something born from the brains of Queen Victoria and Joe Orton. The estate agent told them to take their personalities out of it and make it bare, but although I would buy it after a viewing, that's because I love the people that live in the house and generally, you need different people than your children viewing your property.

My phone has been full of texts from my stepmum, expletive laden, calling the estate agents cunts for suggesting that a lounge full of sculptures of camels and pictures of the Isle of Mull is not going to sell. I think the estate agent said today that they would stop sending people to view if my parents didn't take on their recommendations. I miss my family but I am sort of glad I don't get to see my parents have to strip the house of a personality to get a good deal. My Dad will be fucking furious.

Dr Markus wrote: