MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Positive Passion

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Positive Passion » 18 Jul 2020, 07:09

So the kids have finished school in the weirdest year yet. We still have a couple of days hnding over and tidying up, but no stress. I am absolutely exhausted. At least this summer I have few concerns about the next school year, unlike the last three summers. I should manage to recover. Hard to believe I have been a teacher for 3 years now.

Flower

Postby Flower » 20 Jul 2020, 20:42

This afternoon I saw a delivery person slide a large heavy box on t my front porch. Since we aren't expecting any packages and have had many wrong deliveries in the past due to the fact that we live on XYZ Terrace. There is a XYZ Road a couple of blocks to the West which runs perpendicular us. We often get mail and deliveries for XYZ Road, so I always check the label before bringing anything into the house. This package was for someone down our block. Luckily, I caught the delivery guy in time and he thanked me by offering me a coupon for a "Free Box" from Hello Fresh which I accepted. Now, I have to figure out what I want to order. :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 25 Jul 2020, 15:24

There was an emergency evacuation of my flats this morning for what ultimately turned out not to be a WW2 UXB so we were allowed back home after about an hour.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx wrote: I do wonder where everyone is getting very small cardigans from.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 27 Jul 2020, 09:11

So I'm at my gym, masked of course, fast walking on the treadmill when I happened to look over my shoulder and see an instructor showing a new client, a be-masked normal looking young man, how to use the cycling machine. Nothing unusual there at all but then, when I happened to look again some minutes later, there, beside the cycling machine was the same young man on his knees staring at a Domino's large sized puddle of vomit. As I was looking, concerned of course and hoping an instructor would come to the rescue, the guy vomited again. Some of you will be pleased to hear he was a real trouper and did not remove his mask. Through and around the mask came the vomit. Not that he could have choked or anything. Some moments later a couple of staffers came to assist and clean up. The guy seemed to recover a bit and did, sad to say, take off his mask.
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 27 Jul 2020, 18:15

Samoan wrote:There was an emergency evacuation of my flats this morning for what ultimately turned out not to be a WW2 UXB so we were allowed back home after about an hour.

News Update - Apparently a bloke in the house across the road, driven to distraction for a reason - noise from either fellow housemates or immediate neighbours apparently - alleged he'd thrown a hand grenade onto a stretch of lawn at the end of my block of flats. He hadn't, but the emergency services duly followed all procedures.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx wrote: I do wonder where everyone is getting very small cardigans from.

Flower

Postby Flower » 29 Jul 2020, 00:09

I saw a fuzzy yellow caterpillar in my front garden. :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 29 Jul 2020, 00:17

Samoan wrote:
Samoan wrote:There was an emergency evacuation of my flats this morning for what ultimately turned out not to be a WW2 UXB so we were allowed back home after about an hour.

News Update - Apparently a bloke in the house across the road, driven to distraction for a reason - noise from either fellow housemates or immediate neighbours apparently - alleged he'd thrown a hand grenade onto a stretch of lawn at the end of my block of flats. He hadn't, but the emergency services duly followed all procedures.

This reminds me. I've done a lot of dumb shit in my life but me and a pal setting off a white phosphorus military grade flare into the sky in the middle of a city might be the dumbest thing ever. Had it hit a dry roof or something else we could have set Seattle on fire. :oops:
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Aug 2020, 22:41

Last night Rebecca and I were on our post prandial walk in the park across the street and we suddenly heard a bunch of women (ok 5) yell out my name.
They were friends/acquaintances from the cider tasting room and had just finished a yoga class outdoors. I haven’t seen them since March so a very pleasant surprise and as the class was over we stopped and talked, social distancing of course. I felt like a rock star getting called out like that. Turns out it was the teacher’s first class in months and she was trying the outdoors environment to get things going again.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 07 Aug 2020, 13:13

Good stuff Les. Plus 'prandial" is a new one on me. :)
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 09 Aug 2020, 11:46

Pool Walking by Jimbo-tendo (Could easily have been a shitty low grade early video game.)

The pool's far left lane is the dedicated walking lane. The object is to walk through the water as fast as you can while both the right and left side of the walking lane are occupied with other walkers of various speeds, gaits and degrees of old age. The left side goes one way and the right the other. The main rule is that you may not pass a slow walker. To keep up your speed you can reverse lane sides and walk in the opposite direction to gain some space. You will soon however meet up with a slow walker and need to reverse again. But then you get a bonus! A clear lane where you can stride through the water like a water strider. But then oops. An old lady just entered the lane and you will need to reverse to avoid bumping into her.

START!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Aug 2020, 02:13

With all travel plans cratered for most of the year we took our first holiday at the start of August up to the mountains in New Mexico. It's really the first thing we have done at all. Our lives have been so socially isolated we haven't even seen Baron's parents since March. Other people we know are having socially distanced drinking sessions in gardens etc but the weather here is so disgustingly hot with mosquitoes everywhere that it hasn't appealed to us at all. Which is to say, we were up for "doing something."

It was the longest period of time I have spent in a car and to my shock, it didn't bother me at all. I normally get antsy just going to San Antonio, but the scenery was so varied and we'd both done our road trip playlists so it made for pretty entertaining driving. Leaving Texas surprised me, as I expected to find mask non-compliance on the outskirts. However, the service stations we ducked in and out of found absolutely everybody masked and distancing.

The drive through the Permian Basin was grisly. Fucking hell, oil drilling everywhere with their nasty black woodpecker heads going up and down as far as the eye could see. I wondered how much I would have to be paid to live out in one of those worker's quarters for just a month, in the stove top heat with only the communal food hall to look forward to and spunk stiff sheets. And then just as you were thinking about how depressing man can make the landscape, all or a sudden the earth opened up with purple, violet and brown buff colours, as we rolled into New Mexico. That beautiful light. Just as we were processing that, we started going up into the mountains and everything became green and cool. Early evening we found our cabin at the end of a long, winding private road. I started crying, which isn't unusual these days, but our cabin was sat in the middle of nowhere and was about as spectacular as you could imagine. The only sound, a soft stream further down the valley.

Over the next few days we went on some splendid hikes round the forests, where trees part to remind us of how high we really were. Thin air made any sudden, quick movements genuinely difficult. We had to stop all the time. I felt about eighty. We headed to the White Sands National Park and walked across there twice -both in the morning, as once it gets above 85 you are advised not to go, to avoid dying. What an extraordinary experience that was. And was of course where Bowie filmed some of The Man Who Fell to Earth - apparently some of the scenes in there were delayed as he had dicky guts for a few days. I can tell you that White Sands is not a place you want to be out on if you need a Tom Tit, if you follow my drift.

The great part of being on the sands was looking at the mountains beyond- the contrast between them and their Georgia O Keeffe tones and the stark white underneath them was an amazing frame, especially once the sun came up. I tried to sit and draw them, but got literal ants in my pants. The sun also caught the tips of the dune tips which gave them a genuinely sci-fi feel. All rather amazing.

The highlight of the whole week - well, highlights I should say - was not having my phone on so no access to any news or communications, and the wonderful feeling of not worrying about shit that follows as a result. I managed to get through a whole book and got some high quality naps in. The most incredible thing though was the amount of wildlife that we had visiting our cabin and the surrounding land. We were overlooking a small valley and the place was teeming with everything, some things that I had never seen before. Chipmunks! Fucking hell, chipmunks! We had just got in the first evening, and I was pissing about in the kitchen and Baron was sat in the lounge looking out the window at the bird feeder. He suddenly summoned me informing me that I was about to "lose my mind." There were chipmunks, tiny little furry fantastic bastards stuffing their cheeks. Just fabulous. The deck that was all around us was visible from anywhere in the house so when we weren't sat on the deck, we could still see the antics. The things that came! Lester's Jays, orioles, warblers, nuthatches, juncos, and something else I could never identify. Elk came down in huge posse fashion and then swept back up the mountain. There were deer. Rabbits. Squirrels. Hawks that took flight on the valley bottom and went over our heads like jets in the early hours. But most amazingly the hummingbirds. At times, there could be twenty around the feeder and they ate solemnly in a gang like monks at breakfast. Other times, they buzzed round our heads and over our shoulders and sometimes came up very close to our eyes, sometimes when were inside the cabin- they would be hovering at the window. I now think they were alerting me to the emptying feeder. And we did fucking feed them - so much food we had to go to the nearest town to get seed and more sugar.

Being in that kind of nature, and specifically out of the heat, is nothing short of medicine. The peace and happiness of just sitting in beautiful and scenic silence while animals all around you get on with the business of eating and living their lives is worth everything. Our bedroom had a balcony that overlooked a big tree which in turn overlooked an outside table and chair set. Baron would sit there reading and I would sit on the balcony and watch the hummingbirds, which when they were not eating, would perch in this tree and their vibrant colours would all shine as though they were the Christmas ornaments of the forest.

We'll be going back.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Aug 2020, 03:33

Lovely, Anna!

we'd both done our road trip playlists

Well, I'm curious! :)

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Aug 2020, 05:48

Minnie the Minx wrote:With all travel plans cratered for most of the year we took our first holiday at the start of August up to the mountains in New Mexico. It's really the first thing we have done at all. Our lives have been so socially isolated we haven't even seen Baron's parents since March. Other people we know are having socially distanced drinking sessions in gardens etc but the weather here is so disgustingly hot with mosquitoes everywhere that it hasn't appealed to us at all. Which is to say, we were up for "doing something."

It was the longest period of time I have spent in a car and to my shock, it didn't bother me at all. I normally get antsy just going to San Antonio, but the scenery was so varied and we'd both done our road trip playlists so it made for pretty entertaining driving. Leaving Texas surprised me, as I expected to find mask non-compliance on the outskirts. However, the service stations we ducked in and out of found absolutely everybody masked and distancing.

The drive through the Permian Basin was grisly. Fucking hell, oil drilling everywhere with their nasty black woodpecker heads going up and down as far as the eye could see. I wondered how much I would have to be paid to live out in one of those worker's quarters for just a month, in the stove top heat with only the communal food hall to look forward to and spunk stiff sheets. And then just as you were thinking about how depressing man can make the landscape, all or a sudden the earth opened up with purple, violet and brown buff colours, as we rolled into New Mexico. That beautiful light. Just as we were processing that, we started going up into the mountains and everything became green and cool. Early evening we found our cabin at the end of a long, winding private road. I started crying, which isn't unusual these days, but our cabin was sat in the middle of nowhere and was about as spectacular as you could imagine. The only sound, a soft stream further down the valley.

Over the next few days we went on some splendid hikes round the forests, where trees part to remind us of how high we really were. Thin air made any sudden, quick movements genuinely difficult. We had to stop all the time. I felt about eighty. We headed to the White Sands National Park and walked across there twice -both in the morning, as once it gets above 85 you are advised not to go, to avoid dying. What an extraordinary experience that was. And was of course where Bowie filmed some of The Man Who Fell to Earth - apparently some of the scenes in there were delayed as he had dicky guts for a few days. I can tell you that White Sands is not a place you want to be out on if you need a Tom Tit, if you follow my drift.

The great part of being on the sands was looking at the mountains beyond- the contrast between them and their Georgia O Keeffe tones and the stark white underneath them was an amazing frame, especially once the sun came up. I tried to sit and draw them, but got literal ants in my pants. The sun also caught the tips of the dune tips which gave them a genuinely sci-fi feel. All rather amazing.

The highlight of the whole week - well, highlights I should say - was not having my phone on so no access to any news or communications, and the wonderful feeling of not worrying about shit that follows as a result. I managed to get through a whole book and got some high quality naps in. The most incredible thing though was the amount of wildlife that we had visiting our cabin and the surrounding land. We were overlooking a small valley and the place was teeming with everything, some things that I had never seen before. Chipmunks! Fucking hell, chipmunks! We had just got in the first evening, and I was pissing about in the kitchen and Baron was sat in the lounge looking out the window at the bird feeder. He suddenly summoned me informing me that I was about to "lose my mind." There were chipmunks, tiny little furry fantastic bastards stuffing their cheeks. Just fabulous. The deck that was all around us was visible from anywhere in the house so when we weren't sat on the deck, we could still see the antics. The things that came! Lester's Jays, orioles, warblers, nuthatches, juncos, and something else I could never identify. Elk came down in huge posse fashion and then swept back up the mountain. There were deer. Rabbits. Squirrels. Hawks that took flight on the valley bottom and went over our heads like jets in the early hours. But most amazingly the hummingbirds. At times, there could be twenty around the feeder and they ate solemnly in a gang like monks at breakfast. Other times, they buzzed round our heads and over our shoulders and sometimes came up very close to our eyes, sometimes when were inside the cabin- they would be hovering at the window. I now think they were alerting me to the emptying feeder. And we did fucking feed them - so much food we had to go to the nearest town to get seed and more sugar.

Being in that kind of nature, and specifically out of the heat, is nothing short of medicine. The peace and happiness of just sitting in beautiful and scenic silence while animals all around you get on with the business of eating and living their lives is worth everything. Our bedroom had a balcony that overlooked a big tree which in turn overlooked an outside table and chair set. Baron would sit there reading and I would sit on the balcony and watch the hummingbirds, which when they were not eating, would perch in this tree and their vibrant colours would all shine as though they were the Christmas ornaments of the forest.

We'll be going back.

Fantastic and well deserved. It sounds like a magical place. We are so looking forward to going back to the coast as soon as we are allowed.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Aug 2020, 18:04

Charlie O. wrote:Lovely, Anna!

we'd both done our road trip playlists

Well, I'm curious! :)

Oh come on. I bet you could list them now!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Aug 2020, 18:21

:lol:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Aug 2020, 18:24

One of them went ‘nyong nyong beep beep pat pat I am an alien’

The other went ‘Ma hoss is outta hay, and my belly’s outta whiskey’

Dr Markus wrote:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Aug 2020, 18:55

Yeah, I figured. Did you alternate hourly, or what?

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 13 Aug 2020, 19:00

I took Hejira and Exile along with a rock and roll Spotify playlist with numbers I like from the 50s by Elvis, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Bo Dudley, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, and a Song or two by Bobby Fuller 4 and Roy Orbison.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Aug 2020, 19:00

Minnie the Minx wrote:One of them went ‘nyong nyong beep beep pat pat I am an alien’

The other went ‘Ma hoss is outta hay, and my belly’s outta whiskey’

:lol:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Aug 2020, 19:14

Dr. Baron wrote:Bo Dudley

Nice gesture, to put a Londoner in there for your wife.